Colonoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Started to have colonoscopy today 31st jan 17 i had sedation through a needle as id just had gastroscopy 2 mins before so when colonoscopy started it was hurting straight away so i had gas but 2 mins later i was screaming and it at to stop i respect all members of staff at the queens burton upon trent hospital but when i have to go and have it done under urgent 2 week appointment if i cant have a general anesthetic i think i will have to cancel it can anyone tell me can us as patients demand a general anesthetic many regards fellow patients

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I went to see consultant 2 weeks ago to discuss me having polyps removed. I begged him for a general anesthetic as last September the colonoscopy I had ..had to be stopped as I couldn't tolerate the pain . He offered me more sedation refused to put me to sleep said it's not used for this procedure. Tomorrow I'm going to see my GP to see if he can help if not I probably won't go back

• Posted

You can have a general anaesthetic in France, I think, but I don't know about here in England. Perhaps your gp can help.

• Posted

That is inhumane treatment. I was told by my gastro that it shouldn't hurt, because there are no nerves in the colon. OK, but there sure is on the outside of the organ and when they distend the colon with air it hurts beyond belief, so if that was my only choice I guess I will die of colon cancer. I can't believe that they will not put you out. I told my doctor after the last night mare I will never have another one done unless It is in the hospital and I am out. They said that is fine. I nearly got up and pulled the scope out and walked out the door the last time and if it happens again that is exactly what I will do. Doctors need to make sure you are at ease and in no pain, some where along the way doctors have gotten sadistic. Case in point Trans Rectal Prostate Biopsy without any pain relief what so ever. Cmon, they would jab me once and that would be it, out the door I will go dying of prostate cancer because the diagnostic test is too painful to handle for most. Are they trying to help? Rant over, sorry, but I have had some bad experiences.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.