Colonoscopy advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've got an appointment for my first colonoscopy on Saturday and even though I think I've read every website, I'm still not sure exactly what I can and cannot drink tomorrow.

I bought some orange and yellow jelly, lots of water, camomile tea, Lucozade sport orange flavour and sprite.  Are there any of those that I can't consume?  And does anyone have any other tips to curb the hunger pangs?

Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

24 hours before your colonoscopy you  need to pick up a special presciption for a drink that you need to drink many hours before your test, to clean out your colon. You CANNOT take the test without taking this.  If your doctor has not given you a prescription for this, get in touch with his office ASAP.  If there is anything left in your bowel the test cannot be done.
    • Posted

Hi Donna, thanks for your reply. I've got the prep, but I am worried about not eating for an entire day. I don't want to jeopardise messing anything up by drinking the wrong things. My instruction leaflet is very vague.

• Posted

Hi Stacy,  Read through the instructions on the prep and do not eat or drink anything that is mentioned in the instructions.  You will feel pretty awful going through the diarrhea that food will not be on your mind. Then, after you will feel a little uncomfortable or bloated a bit.  Take a light snack with you that you can eat when it is all over. 
    • Posted

Hi stacy, My first sentence should have read "do not eat or drink anything other than what is mentioned in the instructions" .

• Posted

Hi donna 89206,

I have had 3 colonoscopies in the last 20 and am having another on Oct 5, Only 2 of the doctors precribed that harsh expencive precription , all the others had me take 4 ducolax laxitive pills 2 hours before drinking 238 grams of miralax in water the night before, they cleaned out my system just as well, and my colonoscopy went fine, the presciption one was very harsh on my system, neighter is fun, you spent all night in the bathroom, and have to clean your self with a wet rag or it burns very bad, but that is the worst part, once in the facility to get the colonoscopy you are put in to a twilight sleep by an anesthesiologist, and are alseep through the whole procedure, you can some times have a bit of the runs for a few hrs, after, I have found that If I eat very light, easy to digest food for a day or two before the prep begins, the empting of the bowels is easier .The most important think not to drink for a few days & absolutely right before the prep is Any thing with red or purple dye in it, it can cause your intesines to be stained red giving a false reading of inflamation. Clear liquids, water is the best, but white grape juice  or apple juice ,I would also suggest staying away from citris produces, because the acid in them can cause more discomfort while your bowel are forced to evacuate evey thing in your intestines. hope this bit of advise is helpful to some one

• Posted

Hi Stacy,just liquids like Lucozade black tea and black coffee,to help with the hunger i had the bovril drink but to be honest you dont feel hungry,the prep is worst than the actual procedure,if you live in the UK you will be offered tea and toast afterwards,good luck.
  • Posted

Well the hunger was nothing to talk about.

I managed to down the 1st litre of moviprep pretty easily. The second on however made me so very ill.

I got through about half of it and have been sick twice trying to get the rest down. So worried that it won't be enough. At the moment I'm still running to the loo, but it's been pretty much clear liquid since litre 1.

Has anyone has this problem? Any ideas on of I might be clear enough tomorrow? Thanks

• Posted

I took a gravol pill before I starting taking the ucky prep stuff. It helped with the nausea.  For me the preparation for the test was worse than the test itself.  I did use a pad in my panties to travel to the test in case of leaks, and a clean one to wear home. Only a little discharge - I just wanted to be comfortable because I was 2 hours away travel time. Good luck, I am sure you will be fine. 
    • Posted

Im sure you will be fine if whats coming out is clear,i think if its not as clean as they want it to be they can flush you out,im sure everything will be ok,dont worry,it will all be over with soon,please let us know how you went on and good luck.
  • Posted

Thank you so much for all the advice.

Unfortunately, I have not had the colonoscopy and have been admitted after waking up this morning with excruciating pain on my left side. Looks like the prep has aggravated the perforation I had 2 months ago that hasn't healed. There is also a considerable amount of fluid which they need to drain.

• Posted

Im so sorry to hear that,hope you are ok soon.xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.