Colonoscopy and Biopsy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I have been for the last few months been suffering with bowel problems (abdominal bloating , nausea , exhaustion and the trots). Was referred to see a consultant and last Wednesday I had a colonoscopy.

Colonoscopy not as bad as I thought thanks to sedation.

After the procedure, they advised me that I have diverticulitis. They also took a couple of biopsies, is this normal? As is usual with me I always fear the worst.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. It could be that the biopsies taken were to be sure that an inflammed area near of around any of the inflamned diverticula was not also something like chron's or ulcerative colitis. There are several types of diverticulitis now recognized. Acute,Atypical and Chronic. There is even a form of diverticulitis that has its own particular colitis features apart from UC and Chron's disease. They could be just doing some routine tissue exams to determine the nature of the inflammation they saw. When in doubt just call them and ask why they took biopsy samples.

• Posted

Hi there,yes it is perfectly normal.i had exactly the same thing done,although they didnt tell me about the diveticulosis untill i recieved my letter and i saw my GPabout 3 weeks after .Iknow how you feelĀ  its terrible waiting,I went on holiday 7 days after the colonoscopy without knowing my diagnosis and with all the problems of running to the loo,nausea and feeling generally lousy.They do the biopsies just be on the safe side.All your symptoms point to Diverticulitis which is still a horrible disease but is manageable.Think positive and good luck.
    • Posted

They had said in colsultation before that if all ok then would just send letter to GP. However, after the procedure they gave me the leaflet re diverticulitis and advised would get appointment to see consultant.
    • Posted

Yes they will talk over with you the doos and donts of your diet. Try to stop thinking the worst that you read on the internet. You have dv and that's why you have your symptoms

• Posted

The advice on this forum from fellow sufferers about diet and how to manage this condition will probably be more useful than that given by any consultant. Take no notice of exhortations to eat lots of fibre. This is simplistic. Soluble fibre sich as found in veggies is good but insoluble fibre as in bran cereals and wholemeal wheat products can exacerbate the condition by producing too large stools which are hard to pass and stretch the colon. Avoid seedy stuff and tough meat. Probiotics have helped some people and I take aloe vera juice which is supposed to help gut inflammation. If you do get an infection dl not let them give you a fluoroquinolone such as Cipro . You could end up with far more health problems. Aspirin and NSAIDs like Ibuprofen make this condition worse .
  • Posted

It's quite routine to take samples during the colonoscopy for things like micropopic colitis etc.

You have to avoid seeds and nuts and thing like strawberries that can get caught in the dv.

Dv is common with older people in fact 50 of people over 50, 60 percent over 60 years old and so on.

You have to manage it and drink plenty. Complications of dv can be abscess due to infection like a seed getting stuck. Try not to worry. I worry because I'm a Virgo lol.

• Posted

Hi , this probably will sound like a stupid thing to ask but.......

When I had colonoscopy I had a couple of biopsies taken , I now have my appointment with consultant but it is not for another month - am I safe to assume that there is nothing serious up with me , apart from the diverticulitis?

• Posted

Oh and one more thing that I forgot.

Ever since I have had the coloniscopy I have felt a lump protruding out of my bum , never had this pre proceure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.