Colonoscopy appointment

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have to just been given an appointment for a colonoscopy this Saturday and on the phone the person asked if I needed sedating which I said no. Now I'm just checking as I haven't had one of these before if this is the right thing to do? I've heard they are pretty painful especially if you go into spasm which I do. 

Any advice would be great thank you =)

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi

I have had 7 colonoscopies over the past 12 years and always have what is known as "conscious sedation"...in other words you will probably be awake but relaxed and a bit drowsy. Having the sedation means you will spend about an extra hour in the recovery room. I can`t comment on what a colonoscopy is like without sedation. My colonoscopies were relatively painless just a bit of pressure every now and then...also the doctor will dilate your anus with a finger which only takes a second or two which is a bit uncomfortable. Make sure you follow the diet sheet for the 2 days beforehand and drink plenty of water with the laxatives. If you don`t cleanse the bowel properly you will have to go through it all again!. Remember the advantages of having a colonoscopy far outweigh the disadvantages...and it will soon be over. The actual exam lasts for anything from 30 to 45 munutes...best wishes...

• Posted

That's a lot of colonoscopies! Thanks for thr info on sedation I guess I have some thinking to do. Is the diet sheet a case of avoiding certain foods like junk food or a strict diet to follow? Sorry I'm completely new to this!

• Posted

SURELY your hospital has sent you a strict diet sheet to follow for the 2 days before the procedure??!!. You CANNOTt eat any junk food just a very light diet 2 days before... and the day before virtually nothing except maybe some clear soup and plenty of water. IF you havn`t got a diet sheet phone your hospital or look it up on google "prep for colonoscopy"....and have the sedation! i strongly advise it...Fentanyl isn`t only a painkiller...it makes you a bit sleepy as well but doesn`t usally knock you out...regards.

• Posted

I only got the appointment yesterday afternoon so haven't got the letter with the diet through yet and the laxatives I need to take. They said the diet plan will be with me before Thursday when I need to start following it and they are going to taxi out the laxatives as it's a last minute appointment an I only live a mile away from the hospital. I will probably have a look online at the diet so I can get it planned as I don't want it to be difficult last minute.

• Posted

Hi RachRoux,

I opted for no sedation but a bowel relaxant (Boscopan) and a painkiller (Fentonyl). I did this so I would be fully aware and able to have the procedure stopped on my say so.

With the sedative, the assumption is that you are not as aware so they can make their own judgement as to whether to stop immediately or persist.

Nort everyone is the same, but my experience was good without pain - just slight discomfort on the first bend - nothing after that.

This was in the UK, in case it's relevant.

• Posted

Ah yes I am in the uk also!

I think that's what I am wary of - not being fully aware of what's going on. Then the big anxious part of me doesn't want to know. I just don't want to be in pain and not be able to do anything or stop it. That would be awful.

• Posted

Hi RachRoux:  I've had 2 colonoscopies and had Etonox (gas and air) at each.

This is self administered, inhale it to help relax you if the pain gets too much.  I think it helps the whole procedure if you can be as relaxed as possible (not easy I know!).

I can't have the intravenous sedation as it prevents you from driving after and I have to drive myself 40 miles home, so I don't know what that's like. Sorry not to be more help.

best wishes  j x

• Posted

I've heard the entonox can make you feel really light headed and sick. I would definitely contemplate using this was your experience okay and did it relax you?

• Posted

Hi RachRoux.  The point of the Etonox is to make you lightheaded but I've never felt any sickness with it at all.  The aneasthetist is next to you all the time during the procedure as well.  

Not sure as I've never had it, but I don't think the sedation completely knocks you out, but others who know better will comment.

• Posted

There is no question in my mind that you should opt for the sedation. Why be uncomfortable when there is no need for that?
    • Posted

I just don't know if it's necessary I'm not sure how painful these things are, I'm used to pain I would say I have pretty high pain threshold. I just wanted to see what others had experienced and what the procedure is like. I have heard people still be in pain under sedation.

• Posted

Just as like an addition I would say I have a relatively high pain threshold. I've had a lumbar puncture and I got through that by just doing a breathing exercise.

• Posted

I opted for no sedation for my first Colonoscopy because I sometimes overreact to Benzodiazepines like Midazolam, and Opioids like Fentanyl.   It was uncomfortable when the operator doing the Colonoscopy had to make the Sigmoid and Transverse bends.  I simply concentrated on the telly, watching my own colon from the inside.  It was fascinating to watch.  When the operator had to twist it around the the Ileum to clear debris that the prep failed to clean I was very comfortable.   I was totally prepared to have my colon blown up like a balloon but he used very little air, to my pleasant surprise.  It is the air that often cause the pain and cramping.  I told the operator to use more air if he needed it to see where he was going.   The operator was very skilled.  He only had one twist in the scope and he was able to fix it before it caused pain.   If the prep was not such an ordeal I would not mind having a Colonoscopy but that operator.
  • Posted

Hi Rachel.  The first time I had this procedure I opted for pain killer only.  We are all different and for me, it was not the right route.  I have, seemingly, a difficult colon! If I was you, I would go for minor pain relief and see how you go - you can always ask for more pain relief during the procedure if you need it. Best of luck and let me know how you get on. Jane
    • Posted

I've just got all the papers from the hospital and the moviprep in the post this morning it looks intense does the prep! Think i'm going for entonox I can always ask for more if it gets bad. Will let you know how it all goes =)

• Posted

Best of luck Rachel.  A word of caution.  Make sure you drink LOTS of water! As you are going to be without food for a long time, it is VITAL you keep yourself hydrated.  I made the mistake of not doing that and ended up in hopspital dehydrated and hypothermic just before my procedure.  A word of caution about entenox - it makes me feel sick.  It may not do that to you, but just bare it in mind.  Love and hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.