Colonoscopy normal, still rectal bleeding?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I decided to make an account on here because I'm in need of some serious help. I am a 16 year old girl. So I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done back in September because of a positive FOBT test and anemia (my hemoglobin was 11.1). They did the colonoscopy and everything looked normal, my mom even said the doctor came out and said everything looked "beautiful" and showed her photos. They took 4 biopsies (either from the endoscopy or the colonoscopy I'm not sure) and called back and said everything looked good. However, I'm still worried because I still have on and off bleeding. My mom called my GI and he made me do another blood test. My hemoglobin is slightly higher (12.1) but I am still feeling weak and I still see blood in my stool. I am on vacation right now and am freaking out because I saw blood this morning with mucus. My parents are frustrated with me because they believe I am overreacting and they don't want to spend all this money for more tests. What should I do? Should I push them to get another colonoscopy in case the first one missed something? Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Thats the same problem im having i went for the test also and every thing went normal i get feed up going to my gp again tomorrow to book me for another test
  • Posted

Hi there, let me first say that any info on here is only an opinion, no  medical training. Then, I'd say it's so extrememly unlikely to be bowel/colon cancer at your age. Like, seriously, probably millions to one against. However, that doesn't mean that something isn't wrong, and I'm surprised your Doctor isn't ordering more tests, as you are still bleeding. There are many, many things it could be- Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Crohns, Coeliac,diverticulitis, maybe even a dietary reaction. I really don't think you need another colonoscopy, you need tests to find out what else could be causing your symptoms.  Because, whether they want to pay out for tests or not, your parents really should realise that any bleeding like this is not normal. Not necessarily cancer, but not normal. x

• Posted

hi did they mention about hemmhoroids? I've been bleeding on and off since Nov 2014. I have 2 colonoscopy already/ct scan/ultrasound/blood test and all came back normal-just internal hemmorhoid and diversticulosis not cancer. I understand your frustation because you need an answer. Colonoscopy is one of the best test to check cancer and since you are clear be happy for that. Go back to your gp and tell him that you neee an explanation of the bleeding.

• Posted

Thanks all. I think the reason why the doctor wanted to do the blood test was to see if I was losing blood. I guess since it showed I'm technically not anemic he thinks that nothing more needs to be done. I disagree though, 12.1 is still pretty low. What other tests should I do? I haven't been tested for celiac's. I also notice that a lot of the bleeding tends to worsen before and during my period (I don't think this has anything to do with it though, I had a pelvic ultrasound and it came normal as well). So far I've had a transabdominal ultrasound, about 9 different stool tests with bloodccoming back positive

• Posted

I think personally I'd get another Doctor. He really should be finding out what the problem is, not fobbing you off just because you aren't anaemic. thats not a solution at all. I'd get a second opinion.

• Posted

What other tests do you recommend I get? My mom said that she will take another appointment with the GI, what do you think I should ask him? I know there is the balloon endoscopy and the small pill cam, should I ask him for an allergy test as well?
    • Posted

Sorry, I don't know what you should ask for- I'd suggest doing a Google search for non-cancerous causes of rectal bleeding, then print off a list of possible causes, and when you see him make it clear that you want a cause found for  whats happening. Are you in USA/Canada? Don't your Doctors worry about being sued for malpractice if they fail to treat a patient correctly? If you are not happy with his answers, I'd suggest asking for a referral to get another opinion. I agree with what Bryan says- you need an explanation for the bleeding. It's not normal, and honestly I'm surprised your GP isn't more concerned about finding the cause anyway.

• Posted

I'm really at a loss here.  The only good thing is that the blood has seemed to stop for now, probably because I have been drinking lots of veggie juice and eating more salads.  I've been having regular bowel movements, and they seem bulkier and smoother, which has definitely been easier.

I've been bugging my mom to try to get more tests, she said that she made an appointment with a new doctor.

My question is, what should I ask her?  If I mention the blood she will probably want me to get another colonoscopy, which my parents said they won't do.  Is there anything else they can do to determine the cause of the bleeding?

• Posted

Just a little update:

?I started having lots of rectal bleeding last month and was immediately reffered to a new GI, who ordered another colonoscopy, as well as a Meckel's scan.  The scan was negative, but the colonscopy did show very small internal hemerrhoids that weren't big enough to see on the last one.  I also have Vitamin K deficiency, which can also cause GI bleeding.  I'm ll puzzled as to how this was all missed back in September, but I'm glad I finally know what's been causing it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.