colonoscopy or cologuard

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have not had a colonoscopy in 11 years and not sure I want to have one as I have heard several stories of complications from people who have had one.

Then I have seen lots of advertisements about this new test Colonguard but my doctor is not too high on it.

I struggle with IBS-mainly terrible stomach cramps. Can go months without a problem and then it will hit me and I am pretty miserable.

Of course, when it hits then I am worried it is something worse which stress just causes it to be worse. 

Havent found any medicine to be very effective. 

Any words of wisdom from any of you out there?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Find out what kind of food cause the pain. Try to take probiotics, you can buy this in the health shops. It helps to me a lot, but I need to avoid that food which I have the terrible pain.
  • Posted

If you have IBS, a colonoscopy will show nothing because it is a functional disorder.  Try the Fodmap diet to identify any food triggers.  I find Buscopan and Nurofen help if I get a bad flare up.
    • Posted

I disagree because I have IBS and I've had it for about 29 yrs and diet doesn't always do the trick. I tried controlling my diet and had to go on meds to keep the bowels relaxed, the doctor put me on Librax another med that's good is Gently they both work to keep the bowels relaxed the spasms is what causes the problems.

• Posted

That's the problem with IBS.  Everyone has differen triggers and symptoms and responds to medication differently.

• Posted

I have IBS and I have had it since I was 21 & I'm coming up on 50 in a couple of weeks. I had my first one very young back before they would put you to sleep and it was horrible, I have had one since then because I was having Diarrhea so bad that I lost 30 pounds in a little bit of time and a nurse that I worked with told me to get it checked out because that could be a sign of Diverticulitis and that could lead to having a colostomy bag for a while but I did have some pollips that the surgeon took care of while he was in there and everything went back to normal and I'm due another one in 2017 . It can save lives although not the most pleasant thing to go through, the worse thing about it is all the bloat afterwards because of the air they have to put in there to be able to see better, just make sure you take a couple of days off work cause you definitely won't feel like being there. I wish you luck in making your decision. Keep us updated on what you decide...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.