Colonoscopy results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. Just wondered if someone could help me out with the biopsychological results from my Colonoscopy. I saw a colorectal surgeon and he has now referred me on to a gastroenterologist but didn't actually tell me what my results meant!

So the results are the biopsy showed acute duodenitis, acute ileitis and congestion in my large bowel. I walked away from my appointment with a copy of the results but not much more info. I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet so wondered if these rules mean I have crohns?

Thanks so much for reading.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry, damn autocorrect on my phone. I meant biopsy results not biophysiological!
  • Posted

anything with "itis" at the end of the word means inflammation. if it were me & i wanted more explanation quickly, but don't see the gastroenterologist for a while yet, i would either go to my gp & ask them to explain it, or have a look on wikipedia - a reliable factual online encyclopedia - in fact i'd probably do both. hope this helps guide you a little. take care. x

• Posted

Firstly.....ouch!!!

Sounds painful.

Secondly: your referral to a gastroenterologist is the right place to be to get a diagnosis. Hopefully they will explain what your results mean and develop a treatment plan with you/ organise further tests etc.

I think it would be unfair to say your results automatically mean Crohn's as I'm no medic. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long to see the Consultant and they'll help you understand what's going on.

I wish you lots of luck and whatever the diagnosis I hope you get all the help you need.

Hannah

• Posted

'Acute' means new or fresh. Newly onset. And as you 'itis' is inflammation.

good luck with your gi appt.

again as Hannah says, try not worry too much.

good luck

• Posted

The suffix ITISmeans inflammation of.

So your stomach empties into the duodenum. Duodenitis is an inflammation of the duodenum.

Another section is named the Ileum. Ileitisis inflammation of the ileum.

The large bowel is the colon.

After my colonoscopy I was told I had colitis....simply put, an inflammation of my colon. I then took a blood test that had to be sent to a special laboratory in a different state for analysis. Eventually the diagnosis of colitis was amended to Crohn's Colitis.

Only your gastroenterologist will be able to give you your diagnosis.

• Posted

Thanks so much everyone for your input really appreciated. Its strange as my symptoms were basically just a huge weight loss due to feeling too sick to eat anything but with added diarreah and mucous nd just an overall ill and lethargic feeling. And the tests that were done were about 4 months after the onset of this so again to me strange that is is acute when it had been going on for a while with a similar episode about 2 years ago that lasted for around 8 months. Nonetheless he has asked the gp to do an iga test for coeliac I believe and refer me to the gastroenterologist unfortunately in my area I know there is a long wait. Thanks again everyone I will try to remember to update you when I get my diagnosis!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.