Coloplast Compact Male Review

Posted , 6 users are following.

For the past few years I've been using the Coloplast Speedicath with coude tip. In both 12F and 14F sizes. I arrived at this catheter after trying numerous others from red rubber, to vinyl, to other hydrophillics. Have nothing but good things to say about it. 

That said, out of curiosity and on the recommendation of other members here, I just tried the Coloplast Compact Male. 

The good: 1. Extremely convenient and discreet for out of home use; 2. Although I have been prescribed a coude tip, this catheter (non coude) went it very easily, no pain, no resistance. YMMV. 3. They also come with an attached bag (the kit) and with an unattached bag. The attached bag could come in convenient for outdoor activities like camping, etc. If don't order the "kit' version, you still get the bag but it is packed separarately so it's not in the way. 

Not so good: 1. Currently only available in "straight", so this may be an issue for those needing "coude". That said, I was prescribed a coude and didn't have any issues; 2. Insurance -- In order for Medicare to cover the compact, you need documentation of two symptomatic UTI's within the prior 12 months. May not be an issue with private insurers. Of course you can purchase these out of pocket but they are not cheap 3. The catheter is about  2" shorter than the Speedicath. For me, this meant I had to insert it right up to the plastic funnel to get the bladder to start draining. Not a big deal but something to note. 4. Incomplete emptying? Since the catheter was shorter, I questioned if my bladder had been completely emptied. So, right after using it, I catherized again with the Speedicath and drained out 50cc. It is possible that this amount was produced by my kidneys inbetween cath's, or that my diverticulum was emptying into the bladder inbetween caths. However, it's  also possible that because of the shorter length it was not getting all the way in and I therefore was not getting as complete an emptyting as with the Speedicath. I checked with one rep, who said this issue has been noted, and for that reason some people are advised to use their regular (longer) catheter at least once a day to empty completely. 

Conclusions: If they are covered by insurance, or if you can afford them, a great addition to your catheter arsenal, especially when out of the house.

The only issue would be if only a coude would work for you. Also, if you have incomplete emptying like I initially did, probably best at least once a day to use your regular catheter to empty completely.

According to Coloplast, a coude version may be on it's way. If that is the case, the insurance issue may not be an issue as coude's have a different billing code. 

I've got a couple of more samples to try, and will post if anything changes.

Jim

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Should have added that because of the telescoping design, the tip is 12F, while the other end expands to 18F. I didn't find this to be an issue, but other might. 

Jim

• Posted

Useful information - you're doing a great jobe here - thanks!
  • Posted

Hello Jim,

I had to make my first order of speedis this morning through medical 180 out of Oklahoma, and the rep. Said that she was going to put in like a weeks worth of samples of the "new" compact style cath.   Pretty much what you have mentioned she went over,  the possibility of them being long enough, the "kit" with the bag to use or not use and they are very discreet and convienient for travel etc.   She was very helpful and said they would go out today (Friday) and I would get them at my home tomorrow.  That is quick!

i haven't had to deal with "away from home" usage yet,  it's only been 2 weeks since I started.   But have some up coming events that will require me to be away from home and was starting to stress about having to take these standard ones with me probably all rolled up and then dealing with them when it comes time to use them.    Very relieved they have this available now!   Perfect timing for me anyways !!!

• Posted

Glad you were able to get samples. Are you using a coude now, or a straight? Your samples will be straight. I would also test them first at home like I did by first cathing with the compact, and right away cathing with the compact to see how much, if anything, comes out. If it turns out that you emptied completely with the compact, great. If not, you should probably still pack some of your current catheters with you and use them at least once a day to get a complete emptying out. Let us know how it works out. I have used a cardboard tube you can get at a place like Staples to carry my Speedicaths when out and about. It keeps them from bending. Also, I find the boxes they are packed in are fine to throw in a suitcase or a back pack to carry larger quantities.

Jim

• Posted

Correction: Fourth sentence should read in part: ".....by first cathing with the compact, and right after then cathing with the regular catheter..."
    • Posted

That is what the rep told me as well,   I certainly would not want to get out somewhere and not have tested them at home first.

As far as the tip style, to be honest I am not sure,   I do believe they are straight,   I do not see any type of bend or curve.

Jim, it sounds like you have been doing this a while and I was wondering if your bladder has been "retrained"  any at all.   From what I understand the reasoning behind self cathing primarily is to help get your bladder back to being able to empty out on its own.

Any thoughts on that?

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I have written in detail on bladder retraining in another one of the catheter threads, along with tips on speeding the process along -- but things can be hard to find here so give me a shout if you can't find it and I'll try and link it up. 

The short answer is "yes', my bladder has been retrained to the extent that within a period of two years I went from an atonic/flaccid bladder with very large PVR's, almost acute retention and a severe IPSS score to a point today where some days I don't need to catherize at all and am able to empty my bladder down to under 50cc with an IPSS score of mild to moderate. My urologist admitted that this is a better result then he gets from most of his TURPS!

That said, unfortunately the urology community doesn't really buy into longer term bladder retraining with self catherization, as to your understanding in your post. They see it as a short term solution to either rehab the bladder a little prior to an operation like TURP, or as a "clean up" operation if their TURP or GreenLight doesn't work well enough to empty the bladder. 

For me, self cathing has turned into a surgical alternative that would have no problem continuing indefintely, but at the same time I'm keeping abreast of newer treatments and procedures for bph. So far, I'm sticking (no pun intended smile ) to what I'm doing.

Jim

• Posted

Yep, they will give a lot more freedom to go out and about. I have used them on airplanes several times. I always took the longer ones on trips too, but used the compacts in public places, etc. Never did use the bags, that is a more recent addition. 
    • Posted

From what I understand Coloplast is working on a longer version of the compact, something closer to the 14" standard. Did you ever check with your longer catheter right after using the compact to see if it left anything in? Rule of thumb is that you should be able to push the catheter in around another inch once the urine starts to flow. With the compact, I'm at the funnel at that point so it must barely be in the bladder. Neat design though, they just have to refine it a bit. 

Jim

• Posted

No I never did. And the only times I used the compact were traveling, maybe only on airplanes. I never checked how much if any length was left, I just know I was able to get relief without everyone in my section of the plane wondering what the hell I was getting out of my bag, LOL. I would just slip a couple in my pocket after clearing security at the airport, along with some wipes. Then if I needed them, I didn't have to go digging for them on the plane. 

I am not using catheters at the moment, so no plans to check out residuals anytime soon!

• Posted

Round 2:  Took a nap after some wine, water, coffee, which is my perfect storm for pulling out the catheters. Actually the first time I *needed* to self catherize in a few days. (Yesterday's self catherization with Coloplast's Speedicath Compact was really a test, not necessary). 

So, full bladder and all, pulled out another Speedicath Compact and in it went, and then resistance at the prostate. Waited a second, a little more pressure, slight twist and still no go. From past experience I've learned that urethral trauma and my system equals UTI, so called it a day and pulled it out. Then catherized as usually with the regular Speedicath Coude, no problem.

So, keeping in mind that this is no study but an ancedotal "test" of just two times, I concluded that the Speedicath Compact is not for me. I do like the design and convenience, however, and look forward to Coloplast's Coude model which hopefully will be by the end of the year. I also hope that they decide to extend it another two inches so it's similar in length to the regular Speedicath and just about any other catheter on the market. As soon as that happens, I will be back here with another report, but not until then. 

Jim

• Posted

Good evening Jim

This morning I received my shipment of speedie#12s. Along with 3 samples of the compacts.   I too did my trial run on with the compact I extended it and as usual gently inserted and it was pretty smooth,   Some tightness at the prostate as usual, and as usual I had to do a complete relaxation of that area and with a small rotatation and a few seconds of waiting it slid on by,  I did have to go the end of the tubing only but was able to void with no problem.  I noticed tho after I removed it, I was trying to re collapse it so I could put it back in the tube for a more discreet disposal at a later time and I realized I was able to extend it an additional 1/2 or so inch further out.   However you can not re collapse the thing to shorten it back up nor can you fold it in half but what you can do is cut it where it telescopes and then re insert back into itself from the top and then put it back into the container.   Which is something I would like to know that I can do.

Thats my experience.     I just wonder if doing this a couple times a day affects one in the sexual department ?

• Posted

Anthony, I was always able to collapse the compacts back into the container. Just took some force. But I probably only used them 4 or 5 times. Maybe it's changed? Or pulling it out as far as you can made it tougher to push it back in?
  • Posted

Good, informative post jimjames.  glad to hear you didn't have any issues with the noncoude tip.  It would be interesting to note if you had incomplete emptying if you used your usual catheters first and the compact after.
    • Posted

Arlington, Maybe you missed my second post. First time no problem with non-coude tip. Second time a problem. So guess I am a coude man after all! Don't think I will try another non-coude and will wait until the Compact is offered with a Coude before trying it again.

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.