Colposuspension

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello ladies. Am looking for some advise and inspiration lol. Following an anterior repair in May I gave been left with stress incontinence. Despite using an electronic pelvic toner machine I am still experiencing daily leakage esoevially when I cough or start to move at any speed. Saw the consultant today who has advised me that a colposuspension is an option. Due to gave a urodynamic test then reviewing results. Does anyone have any recent exoetience if thus type of op. I reacted badly to the repair and was very ill so am mire than a bit nervous about another op. However don't want to spend rest of my life wearing pads.  Any comMents welcome 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maisie, i am presuming your last op has not involved TVT mesh or any other mesh? 

Can you tell me a bit more about how your anterior repair was done?

What nerve studies have you been given to find out why you are left with stress incontinence.

Also check your consent form...what iinjuires has it listed? It might shed some light.

I refused colposuspension as i have a lot of plastic device fused to my bladder and i believe it would make me ill. 

Where in the country has offered this and is it the same that did anterior repair? no need to mention any names.

• Posted

Last op involved repairing a large prolapse and as a result bladder now has nothing pressing on it that's how it was explained to me.  Have had no nerve studies at the moment they are telling me that the muscles are weak and need strengthening but has been nearly six months since the op.  Am having a urodynamic test done presumably to enable them to diagnose exactly how weak the muscles are.  Tried Contiform a pessary lift device to lift the urethra but this just kept on working its way out.  My problem is that the stress incontinence wasn't there before the op so what if this makes it worse or does nothing. It's rather a long recouperation again.  I am in the West coast of Scotland. 

• Posted

What did they do exactly to repair prolapse?

I had TVT for stress incontinence, worst this i ever did as i am now doubly incontinent with pelvic nerve injury.

I would give anything to just have stress incontinence.

I feel that they should check how strong your detrusor function is ( bladder and sphincter muscles) .

Don't rush into anything take your time to go on line and read as much as you can,

Have you tried contacting Scottish Mesh survivors,they have a help line-07824 537938.

They may know someone you can speak to.

Best wishes

• Posted

I had this operation 2 years ago following the failure of my TVT. It's not a small op but in my case it has been a complete success, I'm very happy with the result, no leaking at all now. Do ask about the risk of infection though as I was unfortunate to aquire a surgical site infection while I was in hospital after this surgery. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me.  To be honest I am terrified of another op.  The stress incontinence was a result of the first repair what if something goes wrong with thus one.  I took three months to recover from my first op how will I cope with this one. 
    • Posted

Yes I can see it's a difficult decision for you to make. I suppose it depends on how much your stress leakage impacts on your life already. If it's bearable it might be worth leaving things as they are.

All I can say is colposuspension has been the gold standard for this problem for a long time and has a 98% success rate. Good luck whatever you decide.

• Posted

Hi Maisiemugwump, I had a colposuspension in August and it was the best decision I've ever made! I am now completely leak free and able to do any activity without embarrassment.

It is a major operation though so expect to be recovering for up to 3 months. If you try to go back to lifting etc too soon you will undo all the good work. The alternative is TVT which has a shorter recovery but has had a lot of bad press for causing complications so I would personally recommend the colposuspension. Best of luck!

• Posted

Many than any thanks for replying to me I am do unsure as the first op left me with the incontinence.  What might happen with this one couldn't stand it if I was left worse than I am nowb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.