Coming off after 3 months...my experience

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I just thought I would post my experience with Amitriptyline as I know others may look for information as I did.

so I was prescribed 10mgs 3 months ago for sciatica pain, I knew nothing about the drug at the time.  first week seemed ok but didnt seem to be doing anything much, second week was a decrease in pain but also tiredness and head fog during the day.  week 3 the tiredness and head fog had gone and instead of so much pain it had decreased it some but I had tingling like ants crawling down my leg (which I preferred to the pain.  I experienced some numbness feeling in my foot al well.  I had also been taking an over the counter Anti Inflammatory Rapid 25 (Diclofenac potassium 25 mg) and a codeine with paracetamol when needed. I ended up getting a bowel bleed from the rapid25 and had to take a trip to emergency dept.  the Dr told me to cut down on the rapid 25 and increase Amitriptyline to 20mg.  This was ok just a bit more sleepy during the day again. after about 2 weeks I had not seen any difference in my pain so decided to drop back to 10mg again.  well even after only being at 20mg for a few weeks dropping back I woke one morning about 3-5 days later with what I initially thought was a heart attack, I had pain in my chest and was anxious and crying.  that lasted for a few hours, my husband suggested I look into side effects of coming off amitriptyline...wow I was surprised at the list and wish I hadnt gone on it to begin with, however it was helpful in managing the pain.  I am now coming off as the physio has helped to ease the pain with exercises. for the last week I have been taking one 10mg tablet every second day as the ones I have are small and not able to break them in half and had been fine till monday when I felt sick for a few hours then again last night I had stomach cramps.  I have decided I am going off completly now and just deal with any other problems since I am already experiencing some issues with dropping a tablet why extend them? so I will update as to any other problems that I experience in the next few weeks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So last night I was awake since 1.30am with a burning in my stomach like indigestion which still hasn't gone away.

I would sit up and it's bearable but laying down it just feel like burning in my stomach. I don't feel queasy just like my stomach is irritated. Today is day 6 without Amitryptaline and I don't intend to let this get in the way of staying off.

• Posted

I was prescribed amitriptyline 25mg over a year ago for not sleeping and panic attacks they upped 3 weeks ago to 35mg I started with acute indigestion read the side effects couldn't believe it i d been suffering ringing in the ears doc said nothing said they needed syringing sat in the sun ended up looking like a cheetah white patches all over my chest Doctor said yeast infection got an abscess in my mouth dentist didn't no wot it was referred me to the hospital all side effects so I wanted off so after 1 year 25mg then 3 weeks 35mg I put myself back on 25 rang the doc said go n 10 on 10 I m really suffering feel awfull withdrawal b carefull hun

• Posted

H Anita, i was wondering how you are doing ? are you still on amitriptyline? have you weaned off? 

amanda x

• Posted

Had been on it for 11 years. Decided to come off! Wow!!! Had no idea. That was Nov 15. It was dreadful. The insomnia really drove me mad. In June decided to take the off tablet just to get s good nights sleep. Very stupid thing to do even although GP said it was perfectly ok to do. Because of various neuro type pains well altered feelings in hands I saw a neurologist. He said amitriptyline was meant for short term use only. Clearly thinks it a terrible drug but didn't say why. Told me to only take good vitamins and minerals and vitamin D in the winter! Have to add I took it in the first place for relaxation because I have osteoporosis do was used as muscle relaxant. I took 10 to 20 msg. Taking for depression is quite, quite different. Coming off is very difficult and takes a long time for yr body to get over not having it. Personally I think it is a terrible drug but if you need it then needs must. Do research and look into herbal alternatives if possible but don't ever stop suddenly without GP help

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.