Coming off Amitriptyline cold turkey

Posted , 19 users are following.

I have spent 4 month trying to ween off, now its cold turkey. stopped taking

amtrip last night. already feel slightly better, but heighten anxiety..Scala of 1-10

cheers Secretsan 

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How is your tummy ? I got very upset tummy 
    • Posted

Hi Pam and mooma, thank for your imput feel good noing there are other,going through this crap. But. to day has been my best day in nearly a month.

I am useing somthing called L Gultamine. 10-15 grams aday. 2day will just be 10mls.

I stop taking my antidepressant last night. The night before i took the hole 100.ml instead of 75 and 25 in the morning.

I have always sleep well and when my depression is full blown i sleep 16 to 18 hours a-day.

Before 2003 i had been on Prozac for 8 years, My catchphrase was I take it to make my husband life better. It did stop the voices in my head. It took away what little libido I had.

I went on and off a myriad of ANTI-DEPRESSANT. Through an advert I leaned of something called EM Power..Canada.

It was very expensive and experience i could no longer afford.

t was now 2006 I new the things that keep me well, When tacking the EM-Power i notice on the label. After the list of measured ingredients were unmeasured ingredient at the bottom one of them was L-Glutamine.

I had over the last 10 years of being on the net, & studded every ingredient on the label.  keep researching.

thanks so much for ur imput. I'm chuff u both botherd.second night no amtrip. xxsan 

• Posted

Hi. I've recently come off of it too. Not been easy. I've been told it takes a number of weeks to get out of your system completely. I've been off for 3-4 wks now. The headaches were v bad and the problems I had had when I went on it are still there but at least I'm not so spaced out. Glad to hear you are feeling good. Xx
  • Posted

Moona, that's exactly how I was , awful head ache, upset tummy , for 3/4 weeks . I just stopped , no weaning off. Sane here pain back ,but reluctant to take another Nerve relief , incase I feel the same ...has anyone come up with a good alternative ? 

Thanks P 

• Posted

Pam, yes it has been awful. I was taking 70mg and reduced 10 mg every 5 days. It was still pretty horrible. I also felt more anxious like secretsan. I too am reluctant to try anything else. The Dr wants me to try Pregabalin but I'm really not sure. Xx
    • Posted

sorry if my last post was to long. the anxiety has gone off as the  day progressed. cheers san
    • Posted

That's good, anxiety is awful , but you can and will over come it . If you need medication then take it ,just keep trying until you find what suits you ...it's the night sleeping I find so hard , when you are exhausted , in pain and just can not sleep ..I usually get to 5am then get and have  a cup of tea , and I have also gone totally onto decaf  tea . That could help with your anxiety too ..this predictive text changes nearly every word lol 
    • Posted

I had no problem getting off after a year of taking 25 mg just could not sleep but that was my main reason to take it for my fybromayagia keeping me up! I am now on 50 mg and ready to change to something else cause I am having sensory problems witch I believe is due to the Amytripline!
  • Posted

I understand exactly , I really hope you feel better soon, don't stop taking  your antidepressants  though ,keep up with your GP   Xx
  • Posted

Morning, Well sleep was ok last night, did wake up more time then normal, but feeling ok 2-3 scala of 1-10. I must say this feels better then earlyer this year TRYING to ween off. And my wight went up to 17st 9lb. from 15st. still early days.

slight headach last night and a bit fuly..but my memorie is slightly better.

no tummy upset that was last week. took 5ml L-G @ 7am.

cheers san

• Posted

Glad everything is moving in the right direction xx
  • Posted

That's good . I find that not worrying about being awake helps , just try to lie and relax , where as I use to get cross lol. Sounds as though you are doing ok . Are you takng something else for your depression now? 
    • Posted

Hi Pam, thanks for answering. yes I'm taking lettuce jucie 3 time aday and

L-Glutamine 3 times 5mls each time. I will add in black-cherrys to day.

cheers xsan

• Posted

yeah some supplements can really help.  I found that 5-Hydroxytryptamine to be very useful as its a precurser to seratonin.  Melatonin seemed to work fairly well until the Dr screwed me up with temazepam at 14 Years Old and then onto MASSIVE doses of Nitrazepam (all of these on repeat scripts for at least 150-200 tablets just for the month!  I was on 200mg amitriptyline from the age on 16-18 aswell as 60mg temazepam nightly!  Needless to say im now a recovering drug addict and im only 25!  Oh well.  Yeh i recently decided to stop taking my amitriptyline, just cold turkey.  I fiogured if iv done it with heroin so many times it can't be that bad.  Turns out not that simple!

Anyway im back on them now (amitriptyline) however on 100mg sometimes 150mg.  I never really used them as an antidepressent successfully tbh, they just really helped me sleep as i have EXTREME insomnia, hence why they chucked me on benzodiazepines so young.  Nothing knocks me out like amitriptyline though because unlike many other sedatives (usually benzos) they don't give you a 'buz'  They just make you need to sleep, well for me anyway!  They are much better for sleep for me than any of the antipsychotics (and iv tried all the standard ones they use today - olazapine, quetiapine, rispiredone you name it iv been on it and they didn't make me sleep even at high doses. strange- oh well!

Anyway, i got clean all on my own from the benzos i was taking in the end.  I was taking 50-100x10mg diazepam tablets daily.  The first cut from 1000mg to 30mg (my first daily diazepam pickup dose when they EVENTUALLY gave me a taper script for them!)  Was evil.  Fully. 10 times worse than the worst heroin withdrawals iv ever experienced!

Anyway, the point of this is that things that seem absolutely impossible sometimes work out REALLY well and good things come of the bad!

I mean, im aklmost certainly going to prison for a few years later this week, but im going to write my pretty 'eventful' shall we say; life story in jail and try and get published etc so goofd things will come on it, its jusdt hard to see at the rubbish times!

This forum confused me because you can reply to every single post and not at the end of all the threads as a whole like normal!  So yeah....this is for all of you with a couple in specific!

Peace

• Posted

You seem to have had a very tough time . Hope you are feeling better now Jack x
    • Posted

Cheers Jack for your canda, I did a lot of self medicating in my 20ty. So glad i had a homeophic Doctor who help me back then. Speed was my bag.

Any way its later. and i just want to thank you. So glad you are going to put your life to paper. I had a tita as i read your post and thought he should write! As i read on....that just what ur going to do. Well done.

cheers san

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.