coming off chlorpromazine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im really hoping someone can help me plse ....... Ive been taking chlorpromazine for 7 years for panic disorder and ptsd along with propanalol and mirtazipane i stopped the mirtazipane 18 months in as gained 6 stone stopping was fine ........ The chlorpromazine was 25mg 3x a day..... i went down to 25mg 2x a day 2 years ago by cutting out 25mg a day had bad nausea but other than that was ok ........ I started my taper 7 weeks ago by reducing 25mg every other day for 3 weeks then reducing another 25mg a day for the nxt 3 weeks then 5 days ago stopping altogether it has been a rocky road off and on but the last 2 days have been the worst high bouts of anxiety head feeling very foggy ......... Is this normal and if so how long does it last plse ...... Am still on the propanalol have been giving 2mg valium to take as an emergency but am scared to take them as leaflet says people with anxiety and depression shouldnt take them .......... I would greatly appreciate any feedback or advice ....... Doc is useless happy throw loads of pills at me no support coming off suggested i cut out 25mg a day for a week then 25mg the nxt then would be off them i refused to do it so quick so they gave me this taper plan

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Andrea contact someone at cita. Their email is on their website. They're very good at helping people come off drugs. It's normally very slow. I'm not familiar with your medicine but I'm on a taper from mirtazapine which will take at least 3-4 months. Good luck!
  • Posted

thanku very much for replying to my post i will look for them now xx
  • Posted

Hi

i've been on Mirtazapine 45 mg for about 6 months as well as Diazepam and 80 mg Propanolol for anxiety.  This hasn't workd and the doctor has decided to get me off Mirtazapine but by cutting it from 45 to 30 mg for 3 days, then down to 15 mg for 3 days and the I am being put on a low dose of Lofepramine as a substitute.  Does it really take 4 months to get Mirtazapine out of your system?  Th only advantage is at least it got you a good night's sleep.and you could at least blot out the day but since the dose has been cut, I get about 2 hours' sleep and am awake for the rest of the night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.