Coming off Lansoprazole

Posted , 5 users are following.

After reading other posts on this site , i decided to stop taking

lansoprozole. First day felt much better, no heartburn or any other symptoms. However on day 2 i am constantly feeling sick, belching and feel a burning sensation in my throat & stomach.

Has anyone else stopped taking lansoprozole and if so where there any other symptoms which appeared?

Many thanks,

James

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi James

I've been locked out of the Patients Experience site for a few days and the site has just re-registered me with a new password. I thought I'd click on \"What did I miss\" thinking it would just bring up the usual PMR forum to which I contribute, but other illnesses have come up in my list including your post about Lansoprazole.

I had to commence on steroids four years ago and at the same time I was prescribed Omnaprozole - this upset my stomach so I was given Lansoprazole which caused an unusual pain in my side. When I told my rheumatologist he told me not to take them and when I said I didn't want to have a burnt out stomach from the steroids he replied that he'd never seen such a thing yet! Instead, I have relied on a pot of organic, fat-free, live yoghurt on my muesli every morning before taking the steroids, and after 4 years I am fine (as far as I can see!!!). Live yoghurt is excellent for lining the stomach and perhaps you could try this. Another tip is some fresh lemon juice squeezed in warm water at the start of the day - although it is acidic it turns to alkaline in the stomach.

Good luck and I'd like to know how you get on but I don't know where exactly you post but I could click on \"What did I miss again\".

MrsO

• Posted

I was taking 30 mg Lansoprazole to cope with indigestion caused by all the other medication I take including steroids.  As I was reducing the steroid down to zero gradually I decided to  stop the Lanzoprazole as well. I was OK for days one and two but felt nauseous and unwell by day three (today). I would be interested to know how Jamessk got on after the initial withdrawal symptoms and how long they took to pass.

John

• Posted

hi james, i came off of lansoprazole 5 days early because it gave me terrible watery diahorreah,after i stopped taking them the diahorreah seemed to get worse(getting through 5 toilet rolls a week),so i went to my gp who gave me a course of codeine sulphate tablets which cured the  diahorrea but made me feel nauseaus and gave me dizzy spells ,i finished thecourse and still get a sickly feeling and a little dizzy but am slowly getting back to normal .

why does these companies make things that supposed to make you well but have bad side effects,anyway i hope everything goes well for you james. ian.

• Posted

Ian - Snap with the diarrhea from Lansoprazole and Omeprazole.  As you say "Why do companies make things that are supposed to make us well but instead give us bad side effects".  II got over the diarrhea immediately on stopping the pills but I did stop them after just a few days.  I'm now having another bad reaction due to blood pressure pills - it does make me wonder when the leaflets accompany the different pills quote such side effects as both diarrhea and constipation in the same leaflet!
  • Posted

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, LOTS OF SIDE EFFECTS AND i CAN MANAGE ABOUT 4 DAYS HAPPILY  WITHOUTH LANSOPRAZOLE TUMMY T THEN ALL THE TUMMY PROBLEMS START AND IT TAKES WEEKS TO GET BACK ON TO ACID FREE DAYS.

AT THE MOMENT I HAVE EXCRUTIATING PAIN IN THE MUSCLES OF BOTH ARMS, EVEN WORSE AT NIGHT I CANT SLEEP... WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE. ?II HAVE TRIED OTHER PILLS BUT THEY DONT WORK, I HJUST WONDER WHAT IT IS DOING TO OUR OTHER ORGANS?  pAT H

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.