Coming off Mirtazapine

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am coming off of Mirtazapine as of tonight after 5 weeks

Dr says just to stop as was not right drug for me. Should I expect withdrawal symptoms ? How long will they last ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Not quite sure what to advise you. It depends what the drug has been doing for you, and whether the doc has given you another drug instead. My personal experience is that I had bad withdrawal symptoms, so bad that I had to go back on the mirtazapine. BUT I had been on it for 6 years plus, and it had been very effective in treating my depression, so I had no pressing reason to reduce or withdraw, just a wish to "move on". So I wouldn't want to put you off with scare stories. All I can suggest is that you keep in touch with your doctor and go back to him/her if you have problems. I wish you well.
    • Posted

Made me more depressed. Not going onto anything else also got to try and get off lorazepam which I was given for anxiety.

Scared I'm going to get more anxious coming off Mirtazapine.

• Posted

Hi Katherine, hope you are well, there's not a lot I can sAy really, I have been put on this drug after coming off Veneaxin, I'm not sure they are doing anything for me either, I know doctors say they need awhile to get into the system but sometimes as an individual you can tell. My sleep is all over the place as it is I have CFS and fIBROMYALGIA, and PITURITY DISEASE.. I took them for five days but they haven't done anything for me at all.. Hope you get sorted
  • Posted

Hi Katherine,

The general agreement from those on this forum who have successfully or unsuccessfully wd from Mirt' - is that GP's do not necessarily have the best advise, and also, after 5 weeks some wd is to be expected.

Why not play it safe and be your own best friend, withdraw at a slow pace (there are guidelines from CITA).  Be aware that wd symptoms kick in fully between 2 to 3 weeks, therefore don't count your blessing too soon.  In my humble opinion, double check with your doc that it is ok to take both for a short period and wean slowly - don't go down as low as 50% but rahter 10/20% and stay there for 2/3 weeks and if ok (not too anx'd or tummy upsets do the same again and keep going until all clear.  

Hope this helps.

Wishing you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.