Coming off of 100 mg of Sertraline.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all! This is my first post/discussion forum thing. I am a 21 year old male. I was diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression about 2-3 years ago and have been on 100 mg of Sertraline ever since. Since then I have had almost no anxiety or depression and have decided to go off Sertraline because I am experiencing some negative side affects (such as a low sex drive and memmory problems I used to never have). I have been weaning myself off of it by taking 50mg a day for two weaks and I completely stopped taking any sertraline three days ago. I have been having "brain zaps" I guess it's called. It feels like electrical pulses or vibrations maybe that travel down my neck and threw my arms to the tips of my elbows. It is freaking me out.... How long is this suposed to last? I am also worried that my anxiety and depression are gonna come back. I am pretty clueless about all this stuff. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Think you might have come off to quick! Ive heard of ppl taking a month to come off if you are on 100mg like u say think u wean ur self off some thing like  1 tab every other day for a week and the then drop down to 50mg every other day for a week and then 25mg every other day for week. Hope this helps but I definitely think ur having these problems cos u stopped to quick
  • Posted

Hi Ethan..I would agree with Kevin. I am currently weaning off them too.  I went down from 75 to 50 every day for 2 weeks then 25mg a day for 10 days. Now gp has me on 25mg every second day for 10 days, then 25mg every third day for 10 days then 25 every 4th day for 10 days and then stop. It is very gradual & so far no side effects apart from a little light headedness on 2 of the days last week & butterfles in tummy couple of mornings but these all passed relatively quickly. Definitely slowly does it
  • Posted

I have been on Sertraline 100mg for about 3 years. I want to know how your experience was and how you got it done successfully. I know exactly what you experienced with the "brain zaps" and they are really uncomfortable to say the least. Any suggestions?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.