coming off venlafaxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi folks, hope this helps somewhat to some of you, i have twice hadto come off venlafaxine and it is not easy but here are some tips to what i did from coming off 375mg to zero. I had been on the ven for approx 10 years. This was done with help of my GP and advice from pharmacist.

1) Reduce slowly - i withdrew at rate of about 75mg/2 weeks. Every withdrawl caused brain shocks (sort of like when you turn your head and it takes split second longer for your vision to catch up), but these passed after couple days

2) After the last 75mg i withdrew down to 37.5mg for fortnight

3) Then went down to 37.5mg every other day. This is when brain shocks and nausea came worse

4) after stopping completely two days later withdrawls were terrible. I went back on the 37.5mg and dr prescribed me low dose of prozac which i took alongside the ven for couple days, then stopped the ven, continued the prozac for another week then stopped that too and had no further withdrwals.

The second time round i did it without the prozac, but had only been on the med for about 6 months this time and only came down from 150mg.

I went through same process, but when the withdrawls kicked in this time i took travel sick meds and wore those wee travel sickness bands to help with the nausea feeling , which was like motion sickness, drank ginger tea and took week off work and basically lay on the couch, took about a week to fully clear the withdrawls.

Hope this helps some, and if anyone wants any more infor just ask

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

oh goodness well first of all congrats for coming off. I myself am currently taking 112mg and i want to come off. My doc first said to cut 37.5 and the very first night i decreased and the symptoms immediately came on. anxiety was through the roof, shaking a bit and feeling like my mind was going to expload.Ever since i started this med it helped take away my derealization but my memory has been decreasing day by day.  i just dont know what to do anymore.
    • Posted

just got to do the reduction slower I'd say, Are you still down at the 37.5mg?
    • Posted

no. so basically i am taking 3 37.5mg pills which equals 112.5 so my doc said to just cut out one pill. The very first night of doing so it was horrific.
    • Posted

dropping down one pill, side effects last couple days max, for me anyway. It was when stopped altogether the problems were worst
    • Posted

okay, so now ever since i started the medicine like 4 weeks in i felt so strange. My memory was slowly getting worse and i was getting more and more into a dark cloud in my brain. the medicine took care of the derealization for me but im left with this. I feel like i lost my old self. Do you think the venlafaxine contributed to alot of these symptoms, or caused any?
    • Posted

Could have done. It didn't do that for me, but these drugs affect everyone differently

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.