Coming through post natal depression without medication?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, been having a rough patch with post natal depression after my second child - didn't get it with the first - and now five months on just starting to feel a bit better, and was wondering if anyone out there has suffered similar and has any tips on 'seeing the light' at the end of a very long dark tunnel? Wanted to avoid meds if at all possible due to breastfeeding, and luckily so far I have managed to stay on top of things and have been ok without. But am still worried things may look bleak again, so any info/advice would help! TIA

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Initially hormones are all over the place which doesn't help. Then broken nights and frequent feeding is very tiring especially with another child to look after. Hopefully things are settling down a bit now at 5 months and will get easier.

Maybe ask to see a counsellor through your GP (although I appreciate it might not be easy to find the time), it is always worth a try before considering medication. I agree it is best to avoid any medication if possible when breastfeeding, but speak to doctor if you feel very bad, some drugs will be safe to take.

I think that the long hours of darkness at this time of year makes the night seem to drag on forever.

I'm sure things will get better from now on, congratulations on your baby and enjoy the good times.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, sorry , haven't been on here that much lately to reply. You're def right about the time of year making a difference, I hate the dark days but at least it's getting lighter now. My Health visitor has been fab doing home visits just to check on me, so can't complain! Feel ok now and pleased no medication, so will continue to look fwd to the future!
  • Posted

H i Sarah ~

I'm sorry you're dealing with this...I had it with  my second child as well.  I ended up going to the doctor asking for help.  My hormones were all over the chart.  Anyway, my daughter has a 6 week old baby and she's experiencing this also.  She cannot sleep, she gets angry easy and she's having a hard time concentrating.  She's seeing her doctor tomorrow with hopes she'll be on  medication temporarily.  It's not too late for you to phone your GP and ask for something to get you through this depression.  Make sure you tell them you are depressed!  If you don't, it won't get the attention you need at this time.  What I mean is that if you tell them you're depressed and they give you an appt 3 weeks out, who knows what you might do inbetween now and that time.  I'm not thinking you are sucidial, just merely depressed and you can easily get help for that.  However, if you do feel suicidal, you should get help immediately!!!  Do this so you can enjoy your little baby.

Good luck, hun!  Let us know how things are going,please?

Frustrated

• Posted

Sorry I haven't been on here much to reply...I appreciate your reply! I'm def not having suicidal thoughts, and things are improving now slowly. Health visitor has been great, recommended I did online CBT which has been good. Still no meds but I know in the future if things get bad I will have to have something, but happy to report the days are easier at the mo, mainly cos I'm getting more sleep now baby sleeps through. Sleep deprivation is the worst! Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.