Withdrawal symptoms?

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hi,

I'm new on here so please bear with me! Until tonight I was seriously starting to think I had some kind of brain tumour or something hideous. I stumbled upon this site and am hoping for some info and advice.

I had been on 20mg of fluoxetine for severe pmt for about a year until this past Xmas. It sound really stupid in hindsight but I just stopped suddenly, partly as I felt fine, and partly just because I forgot for a few days, then a few day more and so on.

I was doing fine for a couple of weeks, and even still my mood has not been too bad apart from the odd day here or there. The problem is what I now believe to be withdrawal symptoms. Started with excruciating headaches, all the time, until about 2 weeks ago, when this hideous dizziness/vertigo started - not so bad at the start if the day, but almost unbearable from late afternoon. I have also been getting very weird, generally scary/anxious type dreams, with (I think think they are called brain zaps) like electric shock type brain flashes during the night. Does anyone else have any experience if this ? I thought after a few weeks going cold turkey I had escaped any withdrawal symptoms?

Do you guys think it is withdrawal symptoms? Should I get right back on it? Feeling just terrible right now .

Thanks in advance for any advice. X

2 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty, sorry to hear you're having such a tough time, but they certainly do sound like withdrawal effects to me!!! Not from personal experience, but from what I've read, and all common effects. The half life of fluoxatine is so long that it was still in your system for about 2 weeks, which is why u r getting the effects now! That's normal. They really don't advise to come off cold turkey, but go down slowly, one every other day for example. Now you've been a while without I don't know what's best though. I would get back to my gp asap, or even go to a walk-in 2moro if they are bad and it's open! No point suffering longer... but as they take a while to get in ur system too, I'm not sure what will be advised. I do hope it's ok. Let us know how you get on, we'll all be rooting for you. Xx
  • Posted

How did you get on today Kirsty?
  • Posted

Hi Kirsty and Lucy

I would advise you to go back to the docs asap as Lucy says. I was told the half life was 5/6 weeks and i found this out to my cost after trying to drop my dosage from 40mg to 20mg which the doc said should be ok. After 5 weeks things started to go wrong with the nasty side effects i had at the beginning returning - bad headaches, listlesness, vivid nasty dreams. I upped my dosage to 30mg - i'm on liquid so its easy to do and have been stable since then. That was in November. I will try 20mg again at some point.

You should be clear of sympoms for at least 3 months with no relapses before you wean yourself off slowly. Cold turkey is definately not recommended.

I hope the doc can help you sort things out.

Best wishes.

• Posted

I tapered over a few weeks, was forgetting doses here and there for a while anyway so saw the doc before xmas and she said just keep tapering over a couple of weeks. I had my last tablet midto late January and felt fine I knew I was really irritable (as did my partner) and I had dizzy spells which I was attributing to too much caffeine and not enough food on weight watchers.

Generally I was ok and felt ready to be off. Two weeks ago I felt like I was on the verge of a panic attack but calmed down a bit went to bed and woke up the next morning feeling anxious, unable to face work, and crying uncontrollably . This went on for over a whole week.

During that time I read everything I could on coming off. And whether or not it's original symptoms returning, I do believe that when you come off you're body hasn't got time to adjust to providing serotonin for itself. A lot of people advocate spending a year weaning off Flu rather than weeks. All symptoms of low serotonin are dizziness, overwhelming sadness and crying, anxiety and panic, headaches, lethargy etc etc.

I felt no other option but to go back on as I couldn't function, my doctor agreed. Now I'm not functioning because of the side effects though, I know this too will pass but it's hard to believe when you're in the middle of it

Jo x

• Posted

Hi Kirsty, 

just wondering how you got off At the doctors?

I'm having exactly the same problem. I was only taking a 5ml dose daily of a 20mg strength bottle for anxiety issues for over a year. (Also Been on the same dosage previous to that for post natal depression). About 7 weeks ago I forgot to take it for a few days and felt fine so decided to stay off it. Well as I said it's been about 7 weeks and the virtigo type dizziness I'm having late afternoon everyday is unbearable. Im also having really upsetting and nasty flashes when I lay in bed at night. (Usually about my children being harmed in a road accident), it's like a nightmare only I'm awake and it lasts about 5 minutes! I'm not sure how much longer it will last as I think it may be withdrawal symptoms as the same thing happened last time I came off it but not so severe. Does anyone know how long it's likely to last?? 

I've done so well and feel a lot better in myself but this feeling is driving me towards taking it again! 

Please let me know what the doc said Kirsty, hope your well now. xxx

• Posted

I have taken Anti depressants(SSRIs) for 2 months and now i feel that i have lost my feelings of love and romance.What can i do now to bring back my feelings of love and romance? And how much time does it take to fade away the Side effects?
    • Posted

I have taken Anti depressants(SSRIs) for 2 months and now i feel that i have lost my feelings of love and romance.What can i do now to bring back my feelings of love and romance? And how much time does it take to fade away the Side effects?
    • Posted

Did you come off the SSRIs?  If so, how long did it take you to get your feelings back?  My wife has been on them for 3 months and the same thing happened to her.  It's a living nightmare.  She's tapering off now, but has only just begun.  How long before you felt those love feelings again??
    • Posted

I am on fluoxetine and have had some serious issues with all aspects of my love life since starting it. My poor boyfriend has had to put up with a lot. Sometimes I can't bear to look at him. But I love him. He's the love of my life and before I got depressed we were talking weddings and babies. I'm just starting to want him again after 6 weeks but it's inconsistent. I'm sorry I cannot give you a timeline to go by but just wanted to say from the other side of this.... Don't take it personally. She loves you. Depression really messes with your brain but who she is and what she felt before is still in there and will come back. Be patient and try not to show it bothers you too much. Be strong. Sorry for you x
    • Posted

Thank you for your response.  She originally started taking it to help with some work stress by an overeager doctor.  She was originally looking for some homeopathic solutions, and this doctor who'd never seem her before insisted on fluoexitine as the solution.  Had no idea that the medication could cause emotional blunting among other things.  My wife has reduced her medication to 10mg from 20mg, at my insistance about 8 days ago after finding out how bad things had gotten, I had no idea. I feel like she's gained some of her emotion back (which in my opinion is a combination of us really trying and the reduced medication) and it seems like she's trying hard to find those feelings for me again.  The problem now is that she says, "see I have emotions - it's not wasn't the medication at all".  I know we've got issues to work out and we are, but I really feel like there is a true correlation between the fluoexetine and emotion blunting.  I just hope that maybe the 10mg is low enough that we can rekindle our love before she gives up thinking she just doens't haven't those feelings anymore.  We've had a very loving and strong bond for 10+ years and 2 kids - that doesn't just disappear and end in an affair after 2 months of difficulty.  I'm convinced the 3 months of fluoexitine has a role to play.  Thank you for your support.
    • Posted

Hi tyler67886

I have been on Fluoxetine for 10+ years and I love my soon-to-be husband to the moon and back, it certainly doesn't affect my emotions in that way (I tkr 40mg a day) so it sounds to me like a bit of an excuse (sorry) I really hope that you both work things out, but don't blame the medication x

• Posted

Hi tyler67886

I have been on Fluoxetine for 10+ years and I love my soon-to-be husband to the moon and back, it certainly doesn't affect my emotions in that way (I tkr 40mg a day) so it sounds to me like a bit of an excuse (sorry) I really hope that you both work things out, but don't blame the medication x

• Posted

Hi 

This is such a shame, because I don't experience these symptoms, I am taking 40mg a dy, for the last few years since it was increased, and yet no problems, unless I miss a day or two, when I get hallucinations (both sound and visual) I hope u feel better soon x

• Posted

Tyler, I hope this helps as I see its been over a year since your post. These meds basically "mute" your emotions. Intimacy is a very strong emotion and absolutely is a side effect of the meds. My sister was taking an anti depressant a few years back when our grandfather passed away. She felt so bad because even though she was sad she was unable to cry. I am on my 6th week of coming off fluoxetine that I've been on for a good10 years. I haven't cried in sooooo long but boy am I making up for it now!! These meds are used to control our emotions so it only makes sense that they would have the potential to cause problems. Hopefully y'all have it all worked out now :-)

• Posted

It can DEFINATELY cause problems for couples. Just be glad that it isn't bothering you in that way.

• Posted

It can DEFINATELY cause problems with intimacy. Just be glad that you aren't experiencing them

• Posted

its the withdrawal thats bad i was fine whilst i was on it except extremely tired

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.