Singing - the voice and PMR

Posted , 9 users are following.

As a semi-proffessional tenor, and recently diagnosed with PMR, my doctor has put me on low-dose Prednisolone.

I am suspicious that my voice range has diminished and I suspect the use of steroids. Has anybody else recognised this side effect?

I am thinking of setting up a Self-Help Group for PMR sufferers. Does anybody want to join in?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Conrad, I am not a singer but I believe the tone of my voice has changed whilst taking steroids.

I would be interested in joining a self help group. I also considered forming a group but I became concerned that PMR would then take over my life completely. I feel we need distracting from it in order not to give in to it. On the other hand, I think there may be a case for a group to apply pressure for more research into PMR. Not to have a cause for it .. appalling.. and having steroids as the only optional treatment also appalling. For me the choice is steroids or not being able to walk... Hobson's choice! As PMR affects mainly people over 50 years old and as it is said to be not life threatening perhaps we are in a \"not cool\" group! However, PMR affects the quality of life greatly and for long time periods of time, in some cases for life.

Mine is the article \"has anyone out there beaten PMR\"

regards Pammy :wink:

• Posted

Hi Conrad

Now you mention it I think my voice has altered a bit since contracting PMR - Its a bit 'huskier' and although the wife likes it - I think I sound like Ive been screaming at my local football team (Everton) for 90 mins!!

PS Good idea about a support group - It would be good to set up some kind of interactive facility to chat to other sufferers on line?

Hope your voice recovers - although your audience might prefer the Kenny Rogers sound!

Tony

• Posted

I am one of his biggest fans...I love Kenny. My fun club http://kennyrogers.us/
  • Posted

Hello Tony and Pammy

:D

Thanks for your replies and encouragement.

I've registered in the box at the top of the website home page. I hope we can be in touch through our direct email addresses.

I also suffer from mild tinnitus and there's not much out there to help us with that either. As you say Pammy, a \"not-cool\" group!

• Posted

Have recently found this experience group and read about your husky voices - I have noticed that my voice 'goes' when PMR bad and when I have tried to reduce steroids - my voice reflects the resistance I feel in my muscles when i'm walking - it is no longer pain now that I am taking steroids (thank goodness) but It feels like an elastic band round my legs preventing me from striding out or moving fluidly. It is the same with my voice - it feels as if i have to force the words out through my vocal chords. I thought at first it was me imagining it but my mother insists she can tell from my voice on the phone, whether I am having a bad session or not. I don't think it is the steoids as both times when my voice has been bad has coincided with the GP increasing my steriods which then improves my voice - may be it is another symptom of PMR.

Hope your singing voice returns to normal soon - must be very frustrqting for you. Gillb

• Posted

[quote:cc5ec11325=\"Conrad\"]As a semi-proffessional tenor, and recently diagnosed with PMR, my doctor has put me on low-dose Prednisolone.

I am suspicious that my voice range has diminished and I suspect the use of steroids. Has anybody else recognised this side effect?

I am thinking of setting up a Self-Help Group for PMR sufferers. Does anybody want to join in?[/quote:cc5ec11325]

Let me know please if you start a self-help group.

• Posted

Dear Conrad

I'm a very amateur soprano and actually started singing again a year ago after a long long break in order to have some physical activity, seeing as I've long ago stopped running because of the PMR. I had noticed that it is harder for me to hit the top A but I put it down to age rather than the steroids or the illness. It's an intriguing thought.

I am very much in favour of a support/self help group. For one thing it would be great to track down some people who have got better! I am also interested in finding out about nutrition and alternative therapies to make people more resilient and more comfortable. I'd be happy to help

Kate Gilbert

• Posted

[b:5daf080536]Hi Conrad

I have been on steroid treatment for Polymyalgia for twenty months. Doing well and reduced down to 1mg a day now. I have noticed a big difference in my singing voice - must admit, just put it down to getting older...............Interesting![/b:5daf080536]

• Posted

My voice is very rough since taking steriods, but according to my husband I snore so loudly - I actually know this because it wakes me up!!I also suffer with a very dry mouth most of the time but worse through the night. I am really tired because I wake every few hours. Are those side effects from the steroid? :?
  • Posted

Hi Conrad, I have only been taking a high dosage for two weeksand as yet haven't noticed any difference in my singing voice yet and relly hope it doesn't as I sing in a choir which was one of the main reasons they found GCA because every time i tried to sing i would get a very painful jaw. So now I'm on the streroids I'm back to my favorite pastime which is singing.So I can understand how this would make you feel,have you mentioned this to your consultant to see if he thinks there is a connectionz
  • Posted

Even though it wasn't until last October that I was diagnosed with PMR. I have been having trouble with my voice for YEARS! Along with many, many of the symptoms without knowing the CAUSE. Even though I have only sung mainly with the radio in the past...I was always told that I had an excellent voice. Great pitch, great range, etc. I had Breast Cancer in 2006. And thanks to wonderful doctors and Chemotherapy and Radiation I beat it!! During treatment I was given massive amounts of steroids to combat certain side effects of the Chemo. But I REALLY began to notice the changes in my voice after a Gall Bladder surgery in 2012. I awakened too soon on the operating table, freaked out, and almost ripped the intubation tube out of my throat. I have assumed since then that the problems with my voice were because of that incident. Now..I can't carry a tune in a bucket!! Can barely speak above a whisper at times. And my voice has deepened a LOT! Not that I would wish this mess on anyone...its just nice to know that I'm not the only one!!!

BTW...I think that a support group would be great!!! Thanks for reading my "novel"! LOL!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.