Myomectomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have (5-6) small multi cervical fibroids and one approx 7cm pedunculated, in consulation with a very supportive medical practitioner I have decided to have, well it is my only option now because of the size of one the pedunculated one, a myomectomy. I feel ok about the decision as my periods are getting increasingly heavier and I know have constant lower back pain, which may be related to the fibroids. I need to have 4 injections every 4 weeks to try and shrink the fibroids to a more manageable size, however, this will bring on menopausal type syptoms. I have been given a prescription for Livial, which I am loathe to take. Has anyone had this procedure recently or within the past few years? I am concerned and a bit worried, to say the least, about having the procedure as most of the testimonals I have read appear to be generally dissatisfied, as the side effects were severe. Someone allay my fears please!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cazza,

I hope you are well? I have just read your post and wanted to wish you well and ask how you're now doing? Have you had the myomectomy yet and How are you now?

I too have a 7.7 cm x 2 fibroids and am seeing my consultant next week to start on the 3-4 months medication before having myomectomy. If my memory serves me correctly, I think Zoladex was mentioned. I'm 34, and (have trying to concieve) when Fibroids were found after complaining of severe addominal pains throughout my cycles.

Thank you and best wishes.

• Posted

Afua

I had my surgery (myomectomy) on the 26 Nov and now 6 weeks on, Im recovering well and going back to work next week (my sick leave runs out). I still get extremely tired doing the smallest activity - going for a short walk or, even sometimes just getting out of bed to have breakfast wears me out and I have to lay down again. Plus, if I do too much I experience mild back pain. They removed 28 fibroids - they found more than the scan revealed. The incision was a horizontal cut, which intial was very tight and uncomfortable and I used to 'shuffle' very slowly, instead of walking, bent over as I felt I my wound was going to burst open. Even though there was no likehood of that happening. The wound healed within about two weeks, the swelling will take longer to go down. I still have to take my time when doing even the smallest activity.

I needed a lot of help and support on my discharge from hospital - I stayed with family who did everything for me, which helped with the healing process not having to worry about meals and being able to sleep, as and when, which I did a lot - I still sleep a lot now. The anesthetic is very hard on your body and takes a long time (months) to recover from.

The 'hot flushes' from the Zoladex were difficult to manage. I found the experience of getting the shots very traumatic. Im very slim and the injections were painful, until I discovered EMLA cream (you can buy it at Boots), which you put on the area an hour before you get the injection and it numbs the area. As mentioned in my first message I decided not to use the HRT pills I was prescribed, in retrospect that may have been a mistake.

It is too early to say how successful the surgery was - to me success would be lighter periods, no more back pain and my iron levels are back to normal.

I hope you procedure goes well.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Cazza

I just found this thread. I can see you last visited this site over a year ago. I hope you are doing well.

I just wanted to contact you because your message gave me some hope. I had an MRI scan which has found 30! Fibroids. I have been prescribed Zoladex which I start next week. I really want to have a myomectomy as opposed to a hysterectomy. I am 40 and would like to try IVF one more time. I am finding all of this quite scary. I just wanted to share with you that I am so glad that you wrote your post as it has been extremely helpful to me.

Thanks

Angela

• Posted

Hi

Did your periods take a while to come back after surgery...I has my operation on the end of April and I had 2 episodes of bleeding, which felt like a period.. the first one came two weeks post and then 3 weeks later but i've had nothing since and it's been 6 weeks..i'm getting really concerned and down about it..I don't know what to do

Please help

Tezi x

• Posted

I've had 6 months of zoladex injections and I'm wondering if this could affect my lack of periods..does it take longer because of this...

Tezi x sad

• Posted

Hi Cazza,

First I had fibroids that were removed 5 weeks ago. I went through a lot to get this result. I went through 3 different hospitals to get what I want eventually. I wont bore you with the details.

In the first hospital (QEII Woolwich) I got refered to, one dr gave me Zoladex. I had 2 injections and could not get on so they stop. It made no different to the size (intention to have only 3 injections) because some people don't response to it and depending on the size of the fibroids. The consultant later overrode the decision of the registrar and only wanted to give me hysterectomy for which I refused hence I went to other hospitals....

So you need to tell the gynaecologist the side effects you are experiencing. They should be able to do myomectomy without zoladex. That what I had eventually from St. Thomas's hospital, my fibroid 20cm / 1 kg.

Discuss with the hospital.

Now, I and a consultant at the hospital are considering setting up a fibroid support group to help women like yourself. Nothing concrete yet.

Take care.

Nicki

[i:127067b41c][color=olive:127067b41c]Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum. [/color:127067b41c][/i:127067b41c]

• Posted

Hi

?I know this is an old post. I have been suffering from large fibroids for 9 years. I have a ferritin level of 1 and after every period  during which I lose nearly two pints of blood in two days my iron levels drop below 5 and I am having regular iron infusions every six weeks or so enough to keep me alive but not enough to live. I also have May Thurners and am on blood thinners I also suffer (in the true meaning of the word) from menieres disease. I am now on my third hospital (St Thomas' ) and I am  awaiting my first appointment. As of six months ago the largest fibroid was 16 cm although I know this has now grown as I am constantly bloated and nauseous I do not go out except for hosp appts as I am extremely sick and fatigued. I would like to ask for myomectomy when I go to St Thomas' do you have any recommendations as to which consultant/surgeon I should ask for? As you have been through this I would be grateful for any assistance. many thanks and kind regards  I am 53

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.