Sebaceous cysts on bikini line area

Posted , 34 users are following.

I have 2 sebaceous cysts on my bikini line area near my rear end. They have both gotten infected and I put ice on them to bring down the inflammation. When the infection was gone, I put hot compresses on them to help get them to form a head and when they started to drain, I helped by squeezing them. I have been using antibacterial soap in that area and they haven't come back so far.

When I was first diagnosed that these were sebaceous cysts, my OB GYN had said that it was best to not have surgery because of their location. She had prescribed antibiotics - which didn't help.

I didn't see a lot of comments about cysts by females in the bikini line region, so I wanted to share my experience in case someone else has them in that area of their body. I wish there was an easier and less painful way to get these suckers off of me, but I have yet to find a way.

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I too have had a cyst removed from the bikini line, between the leg and the vulva. To start with antibiotics used to make it manageable but would never get rid of it totally. I then had 5 years where it behaved, was just a small hard lump, no bother. Then for the last 18 months it was hell on earth and bucket loads of antibiotics didn't help. Had emergency drainage twice, they literally stab into it and squeeze, hurts like hell. I had it de-roofed at one point, too swollen to get it out. I eventually managed to persuade them to take it out, took a month of continuous antibiotics first to make sure it was as small as poss and hey presto I finally looked at it in a jar and waved bye bye to the pesky beast. Sadly I have had problems healing, I've pulled some of the \"dissolvable\" stitching out after 4 weeks, but still the wound won't heal, so I hope it's just some more stitches rather than another cyst! About 9 years ago I had multiple cysts in the vulva area, I refused drainage when the surgeon would not promise me I would wake up with my clitoris still intact, so I left sharpish! My top tip is get cysts removed as soon as poss and as small as poss.
  • Posted

Hi I too have had cysts for many years from the age of 13 I am now early 50.s not so severe now but in the bikini area still sore.

I fine medicated talc a great help especially in bed when getting hot. 2-3 times a night I wake and use the talc. it cools and soothes.

I have had my sweat glands removed from under my arms (eventually they ceased) it was pretty nasty ops, the wounds have to be dressed with packing every day by a nurse for about 2 weeks but hey it.s worked so what hell!

Groin area sweat glands removed too-- never worked so well-- unfortunatly a recurring problem.

The sad part is my son has \"inherited\" the bad blood and he too suffers terribly. His back, chest and neck are badly scarred--we are constantly searching for the answer to stop them in the firast place.

Does anybody find thet certain foods agrivate? Do any foods help?

• Posted

Hello.

I just wanted to give you my experience with these stupid cysts.

I originally had them whilst cycling long distance. At the time I had no internet and no way to know what was happening, why, or how to fix it.

I now get them periodically, I have asked my doctor about it and she was Completely useless. She said that I'm basically one of the lucky people that get these and don't cycle or do anything that gets you sweaty down there..........

Two major tips!!!!!!

Laser hair removal and hydrocortisone cream.

I am also a long distance runner which means several hours of sweatyness down there.

Since I've started laser hair removal along my bikini line I've gotten almost ZERO cysts! Even when I've been slow at removing sweaty shorts and cleaning down there.

Recently I got 2 cysts. I treated it with warm compresses and hydrocortisone cream. Instead of 7-10 + days of cysts slowly healing, the two I have are half the size in 3 days!!!

So PLEASE ladies, don't give up. Continue to work out, continue to wear tight pants if you want, continue to live your life, Spend the money on laser hair removal,( it reduces the amount of hair follicles and therefore reducing chances of cysts).

I hope this helps someone!

• Posted

I also got cysts after a long distance ride, a month ago, and they are still there... smaller after warm compresses, but the warm weather is not helping. I don want to stop cycling as I also commute to work, but I had to stop a couple days when the cysts were the biggest.

My gynecologist also told me not to cycle, but that's crazy, I love it. I'm trying natural aloe now, hope it helps.

• Posted

Hi there, I feel your pain and am really looking for some answers. In December of 2015 I had 2 cysts removed from that same area(around bikini line, but on the bottom of your butt cheeks, which is awfully painful to walk around with). I went to 2 different hospitals the first time it hurt like hell and she put packing in it which hurt like hell to remove, and not to mention you have to be so careful when going to the bathroom. Second time went to a different hospital and this doctor was clueless but said she had different techniques and didn't put packing in it!! The next day the damn incision was closed I had to rub it open,which was slightly successful! But now we're in feb and it's back!!! I spoke to my family doctor about it and she said there's nothing you can do. She suggested that when I feel the area is sweaty or moist AT ALLL...to wash with salicylic acid, use hot compress blah blah!! I have done all those things! Also I had a bad car accident in June 2015 which left me bed ridden since it was my ankle and have had surgeries, so I'm sitting a lot more then I have ever, I'm 23 this is not a fun time for me. I have noticed I am sweating more there then I ever have( which I can't control) I don't know if this helps either but I need some advice from someone in the same boat as me...also I started to see a trend, they always come when it's about a week prior to my menstration cycle, which I've asked if it has something to do with hormone levels or birth control, doc says no birth control should help reduce these...so soo worried as this time it's right where I've already had one removed and I know incisions over scar tissue hurt like a b!!! HELP
    • Posted

Hi

I also have cysts a lot and like you I also had the area they drained it packed once. I've been advised to not shave in the area as it's down to ingrown hair from shaving.

• Posted

Hello,sorry to hear of all your experieces.I'm 38 now mine started when i was 22, I too occasionally deal with painful cysts on my bikini line or inner buttock,& rarely but sometimes on my tailbone.Very embarressing,They can sometimes get to the size of an egg,can't sit ,walk w/o pain.I was finally diagnosed when I was 28 with a condition called "Hidradenitis Suppurativa"  https://patient.info/health/hidradenitis-suppurativa-leaflet

Of course you probably know about sit baths (hot bath w/epsom salt) anti-bacterial soaps,antibiotics. What worked for me was clindamycin gel 1% once a day ,doxycycline cleared it up faster,then after several years that stopped working & my Dr. heard a trial where Metformin which is usually foe diabetics was used & worked for 70 % of patients .I'm on that now once a day & it did'nt cure me- but has helped reduce the amount i get & I don't get them as often.I've also heard reducing or cutting out sugar or a paleo diet works for alot people.God Bless,Hope this helps someone

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

• Posted

Hello Steph! your comment was wery helpful!!! im 25 i got my first cyst about 2 months ago, actually got it the week i started birth control! I thought it had to do with that. 

I was put on birth control because of a menstrual irregularity due to a slight insulin resistance, i wasnt a candidate for Metformin treatment. 

Now that I see you mentioning it i think it might have to do with it too! I will look into it further, thank you so much for your comment!

• Posted

I currently have 4 cysts, 2 big and 2 small. They started to appear a couple years ago and they are so painful and embarrasing, they come and go but take more than a month to heal. Haven't found a way to make them heal faster.
    • Posted

Unfortunately it's probably down to ingrowing hair. The only best thing us to not shave in the area.

I've suffered with them for many years and they have grown to the size of a golf ball in the past. They are extremely painful and the only way is to have them drained under a local or general anaesthetic. Bearable salt baths can help them open up and also being prescribed flucloxacillin or amoxacillin will help. There are stronger antibiotics for this also. I keep a supply of antibiotics in case as they can come up at any point.

• Posted

Hi

I've been suffering with cysts in the groin area for a number of years. I've had general and local anaesthetics to have them drained.

The only advice is to not shave in the area, use a trimmer as it's down to ingrown hair which tends to be from shaving.

An antibiotic I've regularly been prescribed is flucloxacillin and amoxacillin.

They are a nasty uncomfortable problem and i've also been told that I'll probably always have them.

• Posted

Except you're not supposed to use talcum powder in your groin area anymore because of the link to ovarian cancer. So now what?

• Posted

I'm sorry, this might not be much help to you, but maybe to others in my situation, and if anybody has advice for me where to go from here, I'd greatly appreciate it!

I started noticing a cyst two years ago which grew quite large on my left side growing last summer while cycling. I generally put in 20 to 50 miles a ride three times a week. My dermatologist's PA , also a cyclist, injected my cyst with steroids and put me on antibiotics. That was in fall, and a sprain it was clear the cyst was not going away. I went in for another injection. That didn't fully do the trick, so at her suggestion I went to a plastic surgeon to have the cyst removed. The cyst is bull's-eye centered on where my pelvis bone sits on the bike saddle. I had a cyst removed but it was clear there was still cyst-like material under the surface. I like how the stitches healed with the plastic surgeon, which were dissolvable stitches underneath and on the surface. With a job change we also changed insurance so I couldn't go back to the same surgeon. I found a dermatologist hoping that was the key. The dermatologist removed the cyst again. When he pulled it out, it looked just as big as it had before. I don't love how the stitches healed from the dermatologist. They oozed for a long time and also just looked ugly. I am now in the process of looking for another plastic surgeon. I sure hope the third time is a charm! This time I will see if I can be on antibiotics before and after the procedure. I am just dumbfounded at how much this thing has affected me! My whole season of writing has been ruined! I am praying to get this resolved by next spring. This last year I had to pull out of all my races and rides! Seeing women ride around town has broken my heart! I am convinced that nothing will get this cyst gone other than surgery. It is located bull's-eye where my pelvis sits on the saddle on my left side.

• Posted

Sorry for typos. My post was typed on my phone. 
    • Posted

I like you have a cyst in the same location. I've had 1 in this same location on & off for about 10 years. The first time it sprang up I saw an internal med doctor rather quickly & he prescribed antibiotics which made it go away (or so I thought) it's come up a couple times here & there but was always a manageable size & never really too painful, until about a year ago. It appeared again almost overnight & was the size of a golf ball...talk about pain...my job is very demanding & I wasn't able to get to a doctor until later that evening... I haven't had medical insurance in years so I went to the ER instead of a walk-in clinic because I figured they could remove the 'sac', which they did not do...instead they sliced a half inch to drain, however the cyst was in a peanut shell shape & they made the incision to the top half & didn't drain if fully... I've been trying to get rid of it since. It's been constant gauze lads & flare ups. I work in a very hot & dirty environment & I can't take care of it the way I'd like to during the day, but I was always told the heat works well, but lately I've been putting antibiotic ointment on & icing it which seems to help... also, antiviotics are great, but if your body is anything like mind, then you'll probably end up with a yeast infection....but I'm also trying witch hazel. Be careful if you use Tea Tree Oil...that actually burned my skin & made it that much more sensitive & painful than it already was...I wish there was a simple solution...if you do find anything that works, please share! Good luck & I hope you've found some relief.

• Posted

I think if you have an active cyst that heat will help bring it to a head but being summer time here and awful heat I often come home and put an ice pack down there in hopes of preventing them... heat also grows bacteria. 

As far as tea tree oil, you can dilute it in olive oil and or coconut oil if it burns. 

I've actually been using oregano oil lately. I bought the pills because they are a natural antibiotic but I also have the oil and dilute it in olive oil and put it on skin problems and cysts to kill germs too. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.