Floxacillin -are the side effects worth it?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi - just thought I'd add my penny worth to the side effects debate with this drug. My husband is just getting over having legionella and unfortunately his trachaetomy site has got infected so was prescribed this

4 times a day , after two days of taking them he complained of really bad

indigestion and aching legs!!!. As it is only 2 weeks since he came out of hospital I put it down to the legionella but after reading other peoples experiences will make an appointment with his doctor!!! I dare'nt let him stop it until then but have taken onboard everyones comments about making sure he has an empty stomach .THANKS

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My poor dad of 90 was precribed these tablets for cellulitis. Suffered severe stomach pains and nausea for 4 days after ceasing them, nausea subsided but pains still there and violent indigestion. I read somewhere that they shouldn.t be given to anyone over 50. He is in hospital and not well enough to come home, yet being discharged tomorrow!
  • Posted

There is no reason why they (and I assume you mean flucloxacillin) should not be given to people over 50 if there is a good indication. Cellulitis is routinely treated with penicillin based antibiotics such as flucloxacillin because it is a very effective antibiotic. Unfortunately most antibiotics are not tolerated terribly well and stomach upset tends to be the main one seen, especially with penicillins. The side effects are best treated symptomatically with things like gaviscon or anti-sickness medicine in the short term.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

Thankyou Tarun, I have been taking Flucloxacillin for 2 days and I have terrible stomach cramps and indigestion. I have also taken some Gaviscon to relieve the pain.

Taking antibiotics on an empty stomach surely isn't right???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.