Oxytetracycline works! But how long can I take it for?!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've been plagued by acne all my life. I have now discovered (age 35) that Oxytetracycline is a wonder drug and really does work (2 tablets 2x daily) with diferin gel. The only thing is.... how long can I take it for. I've been on it 1 year now, with no side effects. Can I take it indefinately? Anyone know?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I first took Oxtetracycline when I was 15 and am now 41 and have no acne nor any side affects. It worked very soon after I began and would recommend other sufferers talk to their doctor about it.

I have questioned various doctors about side affects, but they rarely cause any problems. I am maybe slightly sensitive to extreme bright light.

Given the sucess I am loathed to stop taking them, but may take the chance soon as my current doctor feels I should not suffer any outbreak in doing so.

• Posted

8) oxytetracycline is the only remedy I've ever found for my rosacea which I have had since I was 36 (I'm now 52!). I use it until the rosacea has absolutely cleared, then come off. Sometimes I can be off for months, but if it flares up again in a major way, I start again. I've never had any side effects.
  • Posted

I have problems with acne and roscea since the age of 15/16 yrs. I am now 46 years old. I took oxytetracycline in the past (and, amazingly, forgot how brilliant it was!!) - my skin cleared up to look fantastic!!!! I stopped taking the tablets and had no problems for years (yes, years!) but found more recently (working as a TA in a secondary school - stress??) that my skin looked worse that some of the teenagers there - I had huge blister -type spots and very red skin ..... looked awful, felt awful and confidence was at zero. Went back on oxytetracycline and the difference was amazing - very quick too.

Feel I do have a problem with weight this time round but have also been told that you can become light sensitive whilst on these tablets and numerous other side effects which I have not suffered. At the moment I know I would just prefer the skin I have now to what it was like previously ..... and have been told that I can stay on them indefinately! Will probably take a break again after a year or two (once totally cleared up!) as I know from previous experience it won't do me any harm.

Good luck to everyone else - it's such a reielf to know that there's something out there we can use to help!

• Posted

I've been taking oxytetracycline for 18 years..not constantly..only when I need to, which is usually 1 week per month.Initally I used them to help with acne. I came off the tabs during my pregnancy and suffered the most awfull eye infection. It turned out that my tear ducts wern't clearing themselves and after eye surgery (on lids)I was advised to take oxytetracycline..

I don't know if I became dependant on them from being on them so long..or if it was just a coincidence.

• Posted

I am 34 and have used Oxytetracycline for the last 6 years. I renew my prescritpion from my Dr every 3 months. It is a wonder drug and I would not be without it.

I suffered with terrible facial skin - it was so bad i couldn't go out. Now people compliment me on my glowing, spot-free skin!! You would never know I ever had a problem.

I take 2 tablets twice a day. However, on the rare occasions when I stop taking the tablets (for example on holiday when I forgot to take them with me) i notice that my skin soon flares up again, within a few days.

I understand that this is quite a inexpensive drug, and has very few side effects (Ive never had any adverse effects from taking it) so I presume it is fine to use long term. My Dr has never suggested I should come off it, so I will continue for as long as I need to!

• Posted

I am 52 and have taken oxytetracycline for nearly 30 years. With no side effects at all.

It was originally prescribed to me for acne. But it didnt work for me. However it has cured a more serious rare recurring fever condition for which I was suffering. Now called pfapa.

I have taken 250mg every day for nearly 30 years. with no problems at all. A doctor did tell me once that it would be ok take them for the rest of my life!

• Posted

I'm so encouraged by everyones experience of Oxytetracycline , i have Rosacea combined with angioedema an uticaria and have just been put on this medication and i so hope it works for me , having rosacea is bad

enough but combined with facial swelling and terrible itching makes life a bit of a misery so fingers crossed it works as well for me as it has for other people

• Posted

hi,ive been taking oxytetracycline for 4 years now,im a student,im 21 years old,and i did suffer alot from acne from the age of 15. Its worked wonders and i do sometimes get flair ups every few weeks depending on my hormones,but lately ive had a awful time with my new doctor from the university clinic,claiming my skin looks fine now,i shouldnt be on them for this long,and she will NOT give me anymore,even though i have been tested,and after 2 weeks of not being on them and my skin did go back to square one!

is this right for the doctor to do this to me,even though people on this page have been on them for a access of 10 years and more,i only take 1 or 2 a day,i keep telling the doctor my skins only good because of the tablets but she wont listen,ive never ever had a problem with the doctors giving me them before as i pay for them,and there the only thing that works??? cry

• Posted

I have recently been diagnosed with Rosacea. This was discovered due to the extreme itching and sore eyes that I went to the doctor about. The gel did nothing for me so I was put on 4 tablets of oxytetracycline per day. I have been taking them for two weeks now and have not noticed any improvement whatsoever. The spots have gone but the itching is driving me insane and my eyes are constantly itchy and streaming. How long should it take for these tablets to work, does anybody know?
  • Posted

https://patient.info/health/antibiotic-tablets-for-acne

Once the spots have cleared, acne commonly flares up again if you stop treatment. Therefore, after the spots have gone or are much reduced, it is common to carry on with a maintenance treatment to prevent acne from flaring up again. It is common to need maintenance treatment for 4-5 years to keep acne away. This is typically until the late teens or early 20s. In a small number of cases, acne persists into the 30s, or even later. For these people, it is possible to continue to treat the skin to keep it under control.

Maintenance treatment is usually with a topical treatment - either benzoyl peroxide or a topical retinoid. These can both be used indefinitely. The dose used to prevent spots from returning is often lower than that used to treat acne. For example, one application to the skin every other day with a low-strength preparation may be sufficient to keep spots from returning.

It is not usual to take antibiotic tablets (or use topical antibiotics) for maintenance treatment once the spots have cleared. This is because long-term use of antibiotics can lead to resistance of germs to the antibiotics. Therefore, if at first you are treated with an antibiotic, you may be advised to switch to benzoyl peroxide or a topical retinoid for maintenance treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.