Diverticulosis/irritable bowel syndrome

Posted , 5 users are following.

I found that foregoing cheese, milk and all dairy products has helped enormously. I also take acidophilous, which I believe to help also.

Ewes cheese seems to be acceptable, thankfully, as I am very fond of cheese.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

sad Just to say that soya milk is good instead of animal milk, for all those with IBS and diverticular disease. It also helps with osteoporosis I have read. Buscopan tablets help as do strong pain killers for the DD. Have been admitted three times as emergency with diverticulitis and sent home after anti-biotics and pain relief. Was due for op this month but no beds available.

Would like to hear from anyone over the age of 67 who has just had coloscopy (bag) and how they got on. Am due for this op soon and very, very scared. Also of the rate of infection which will be greater for this kind of operation. Have you any experiences? Should I save up and have it done privately (about £8,500-9000!) I don't have cancer but there is another reason for me to have this op.

Would love to hear from anyone with any remarks soon!!

Almitra

• Posted

I cannot seem to receive a definite diagnosis, whether it is IBS or Diverticulitis although I was told after a CT scan to eat more firbre such as Bran Flakes, nothing else and the GP said when I asked about pockets he said "no pockets.  I had the scan last July and had no further symptoms until recently. Two attacks of Diarrhoea followed by Constipation.  I wondered about the reason, was it the nuts in Muesli

and the next time suspect chicken, who knows, it can be anything.

Stress may also have been a factor last time, was in a long tailback in the heat followed by abnormal (for me) picnic type food.

• Posted

I'm 52 and had colon cancer/diverticulitious surgery middle of November 2014 and am living in Nanaimo, B.C., Canada.  My surgery was a success to say the least and your's will be as well.  My surgeon had to cut out 10" of my lower colon (sigmoid) as well as removing 1/2 my rectum to remove a tumor and put on a illiostomy.  When you wake up your in a little shock with the bag, the stomach is bloated and tender and the fact that your colon is swollen and sticking out of your belly does freak you out a bit - you'll get over that before you leave the hospital.  The maintenance of the bag turned out to be routine relatively fast (I was allergic to the adhesive on the bags when I heated up and expecially when it got wet) and I was very lucky that I'm healthy (other than this) internally because of excellent nutrician that I was able to have my reversal to remove the bag 11 weeks later.  Apparently, the colon is the one part of your body that doesn't like to be worked on and does take longer to settle down and get back to the way it should be.  My reversal was at the end of January this year and I've given myself till the end of this summer for recovery - I NEEDED IT.  Now that the dust has settled, I had my post op yesterday and have been diagnosed with the underlying problem that started it all (except the cancer) - Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS.

FYI, research shows they pretty much go together.  Diverticulitious - don't eat preservatives or sprays (peel all fruits and vegetables - NO SKINS)  (they are mostly responsible for the diverticulitious), IBS - don't eat cheese, ice cream, milk and most dairy, the wheats/gluten, sugars and substitutes, fats and yeast and solid meats like steaks, etc (body can't break it down).  NO coffee and eliminate alcohol.

Good Luck, don't worry, you'll sail through!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.