Globus Hystericus

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi All,

I have a story exactly like everyone I just read. It is not always acid reflux or GERD-mine isn't. Yes it is stress. You are not fighting cancer or heart disease-you are fighting you! I got this after having mole diagnosed as Melanoma-which thankfully did not get out of the mole!!! Then I got encephalitis-dizziness, headaches, blurriness ( I thought I was going blind) all this went away and in headed Globus Hystericus through my door and it hasn't left since! (nearly 3 years) I have been called Bi Polar, neurotic, menapausal, not RELIGIOUS enough and a host of other false indignities!!!! from very uninformed and yes I'll say it-ignorant people! You are fighting your subconscious-that's all! But when you fight yourself-who wins? My suggestion- cognitive therapy, and diversions and replacement behaviors. We all have to find a way to get this off our minds!!!!!! Believe me, I am a strong, educated person and this has been the battle of my life! To the point of debilitation. I too, have been onXanax-still am and I hate being dependent on anything! But it doeshelp one cope-temporarily. Xanax will NEVER cure your throat. I am having the 24 hour reflux probe on Sept. 20th and I know that is not my problem-I am having it to prove everyone wrong. It is a factor with some people-but not all. I have taken all the medications for reflux for 2 years and nothing! I do ph lithmus paper 3 times a day both in the mouth and urinally and it shows me either exactly where I should be or too ALKALINE!!! This is stress!!!! You better believe it. It is a huge feat-but if you can stop being upset and afraid of this- I promise it will lose it's power eventually. Just like a person who intimidates you-once they don't intimidate you anymore they become obsolete. Fighting yourself or your subconscious mind IS harder there is no doubt. Don't give up-we can do it and support groups like this do help. You are not alone and it is not a weakness in you. It's just bad luck. I have seen people overcome this drug free. GET YOUR MIND OFF THIS and don't let anyone or anythingscare or stress you out to the point of this-nothing is worth it! You can get your \"health\" and peace of mind back. Just know this can not destroy or hurt you only the suppposed power you give it. Stop giving. Talk to people, get informed and get involved in something anything-but this! I pray for us all and know it can be done. This is not cancer- it will not grow or kill. Know that! and fight!

Sincerely, Michelle Fotheringham

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh my god, you've just made me feel so much better. I've had this weird throat thing for so long and thought i was dying, even after seeing the doctor like ten times and them telling me it was stress and aniexty related. it was so good to read that it's not just me, i thought i was going crazy and i'm pretty sure that my friends think i am too. But after reading your experiences i feel so much better and like i'm not crazy. It's nice to know that you're not alone, I don't think i can explain how much reading this has helped me. I feel like i can finally start to forget about it. I'm gonna print what you wrote and whenever i feel like i'm gonna panic about the weird throat thing i'm gonna read it to remind me that i'm not alone and that it will go away. thank you so so much
  • Posted

\"and in came globus through the door\"

My god you have explained it perfectly,I have had this since june and it aint going,its took over my life,just like the stomach pains did before the globus,I allways have some malady that takes over my life and scares the hell out of me,I have had painic attacks with this and its a curse,I have had chroic gerd for ten years,I had the ph probe and was diagnosed with nutcracker esophagus,thing is my this globus I had 2 years ago and it lasted for 6 months and went away,now its back and even though I was scoped by ent and gastro I still think its Cancer even though the odds on that are big,my mind keeps sneaking up behind me whispering the \"c\" word.

• Posted

What a relief when I can read and most of all relate to all your symptoms !!

Sorry if that sounds heartless !!

Since last December (ruined Christmas needlessly) I have experienced

a lump in my throat and on some ocassions I felt it from my chest upwards.

Following a NORMAL CT scan on my neck to see if it was related to my thyroid

problems I thought it would suddenly disappear and prove that it was

\"stress related\"... NO ............so a barium swallow also came back NORMAL.

Still there - paid for a private ENT consultation and had a tube up my nose and down my throat-- NORMAL...(Just £100 worse off!!)

Suppose you just learn to live with it !!

• Posted

It is so good to be able to read some others experience of Globus. I was diagnosed just over a year ago and it has been around on and off ever since. I am 40mg Citalopram a day which gives me some good days and other days it lurks around and drives me mad. I just hope I can get some respite for my wedding next year.
  • Posted

Hi all, I came across these experiences quite by accident after joining \"Patient Uk\" recently, and it seems to fit my wifes symptoms exactly.

She has suffered on and off for 10-15 years with this \"Heavy Chest\" difficult breathing problem, and this culminated a few years back in an Angigram, which showed no heart problems.

Since then she has carred on regardless, being told she just may have to live with it, last year she had \"Chinese\" therapy, with a herbal medicine for anxiety, this definitely helped.

Occasionally the problem comes back, for no apparant reason other than worrying over minor things, we have blamed weather, food, etc., but anxiety does seem to be the underlying factor, its a constant battle for her.

At least we have a name for the symptoms now ...

Brian

• Posted

Hi there I started off with the panic attacks a couple of years ago after having my second child I really don't know why because she's great and i haven't had any problems at all with her although I do have have quite a stressful life i'm a full time mum with a full time job and have been in a difficult relationship, anyway I have controlled the panic attacks now thankgod but ever since have suffered with difficulty breathing (you know the symptoms) I finally went to the doctors today and he diagnosed G.H and I actually feel better knowing what it is and that it is not a heart problem or cancer i'm going to try CBT and hopefully the stresses of life will ease and gradually so will the G.H (fingers crossed)
  • Posted

brilliant, I'm so glad someone else sees this thing like me, great encouragement for everyone just getting it or not admitting to themselves because their too scared of the \"real\" problem. Good luck to you
  • Posted

Well i thought I would share my experience. I've had the sensation of globus since I was about 16 - i'm now 30. It started only in the cinema, during love scenes :lol:

I didnt really think too much of it at the time, but as I got older, I started to look out for it. It then 'spread' to just being at the cinema, regardless of the content. The fact that I was there, looking out for when I would next need to swallow. I really enjoyed going to the cinema and this has certainly got in the way.

Anyway since then it has now 'spread' to watching TV with friends and because I am looking out for I have become self conscious. Some of my friends have started doing it and it's absolutely awful - feeling of guilt that i've somehow infected them with this!

Within the last year, its developed to the work place, meetings etc. horrible. I know its in my head.. I have post nasal drip and acid refux which also dont help - a constant reminder...when I am not thinking about it. Stress is really bad too, and I am afraid to discuss it incase other people start to do it!!! :cry:

• Posted

Hi all,

Well I have been suffering with this 'feeling' for about a month now. My symtoms are:

1. Tight throat - can alternate between being under the Adams Apple or being in my chest behind my breast bone.

2. Sensation of a 'lump' and no tightness

3. Feels like a pill is lodged in my throat and I constantly swallow to 'dislodge' it

4. The anxiety of the 'lump feeling' I'm sure makes it worse

5. Eating food actually helps! And the feeling goes while I'm eating or drinking.

6. No discomfort as such - it doesn't hurt, doesn't give me any pain. The only time is does cause me discomfort is when the tightness is present or when it feels as though debris has been lodged in my oesophagus

I had a stressful jon in London, working in the community all around SW and SE London. In notorious 'rough' estates/areas. I started the job September 2009 and left by March 2010! It wasn't the best job; however I never realised it was stressing me out as much as it obviously had been! It entailed allot of commuting - sometimes 7 trains in 1 day and that was just overground! Anyway I handed in my notice and left - without even finding another job.

Went to Paris with my partner had a lovely time, looking forward to a future without travelling to London! Enjoying a little break before finding full time work again. Well it all went down hill from then! My mother had had a mole removed from her face and it turned out to be cancerous; however they managed to catch it in time and it hadn't spread. So naturally I made an appointment to see my GP as I have hundreds of moles and that's just on my upper body!

Cut a long story short the 2 week wait to see the dermatologist was hellish! I convinced myself I had cancer, started thinking about death, where we went, why did we have to die, what was the point in living if we just 'die'. Oh my did I give myself a hard time. It turns out the moles are ok and I have to keep an eye on them. This made a slight difference. However now I had death on the brain! I was terrible. I had three or more panic attacks. One at a gig in London - a band I had been wanting to see for ages! I had to walk out and go home! That was 9 weeks ago.

Well 4 weeks ago I started having the same symtoms as GH. I never even knew it excisted! I researched this 'lump feeling' took everything to the docs. She offered to send me to ENT but kept saying it's probably GH. I refused diazepam. I don't want to rely on pills. I've always been a worrier but never to the point of what I brought on myself. And I did! I bought it all on. By over reacting and over analyzing things. This lump feeling drives me nuts! I've tried to ignore it and it works to a degree. I had a good drink the other night and it went! I was like YES!!!!! It's gone but it soon came back the next day. So it went because I was relaxed due to alcohol. Now I'm not gonna start drinking every night just to 'ease' it!!

GP has referred me to have CBT. I hope this works. Im only 26 and feel like a mess! I try to hide allot because I don't want people to think I'm mad. I've done a few meditation sessions on my iPhone. This helped. I'm thinking I might go and have accupuncture? I also would like to see a medium as I know this fear of death is still an underlying anxiety problem and is always in the back of my mind! I can't believe I've gone from a confident, bubbly girl - working for King's College to this GH suffering, anxious wreck! All down to letting stress and anxiety take over my life! I want to be happy and free again! And be free from GH. Should I go back to docs and be seen by ENT to rule out other possibilities. As I never got referred. Doc put me off. Shall I go to be on the safe side?

Many thanks,

Neen.

• Posted

[quote:81465ae829=\"Michelle Fotheringham\"]Hi All,

I have a story exactly like everyone I just read. It is not always acid reflux or GERD-mine isn't. Yes it is stress. You are not fighting cancer or heart disease-you are fighting you! I got this after having mole diagnosed as Melanoma-which thankfully did not get out of the mole!!! Then I got encephalitis-dizziness, headaches, blurriness ( I thought I was going blind) all this went away and in headed Globus Hystericus through my door and it hasn't left since! (nearly 3 years) I have been called Bi Polar, neurotic, menapausal, not RELIGIOUS enough and a host of other false indignities!!!! from very uninformed and yes I'll say it-ignorant people! You are fighting your subconscious-that's all! But when you fight yourself-who wins? My suggestion- cognitive therapy, and diversions and replacement behaviors. We all have to find a way to get this off our minds!!!!!! Believe me, I am a strong, educated person and this has been the battle of my life! To the point of debilitation. I too, have been onXanax-still am and I hate being dependent on anything! But it doeshelp one cope-temporarily. Xanax will NEVER cure your throat. I am having the 24 hour reflux probe on Sept. 20th and I know that is not my problem-I am having it to prove everyone wrong. It is a factor with some people-but not all. I have taken all the medications for reflux for 2 years and nothing! I do ph lithmus paper 3 times a day both in the mouth and urinally and it shows me either exactly where I should be or too ALKALINE!!! This is stress!!!! You better believe it. It is a huge feat-but if you can stop being upset and afraid of this- I promise it will lose it's power eventually. Just like a person who intimidates you-once they don't intimidate you anymore they become obsolete. Fighting yourself or your subconscious mind IS harder there is no doubt. Don't give up-we can do it and support groups like this do help. You are not alone and it is not a weakness in you. It's just bad luck. I have seen people overcome this drug free. GET YOUR MIND OFF THIS and don't let anyone or anythingscare or stress you out to the point of this-nothing is worth it! You can get your \"health\" and peace of mind back. Just know this can not destroy or hurt you only the suppposed power you give it. Stop giving. Talk to people, get informed and get involved in something anything-but this! I pray for us all and know it can be done. This is not cancer- it will not grow or kill. Know that! and fight!

Sincerely, Michelle Fotheringham[/quote:81465ae829]

hi dear,,I suffer from this disease

be more relax is just remedy???

do you mean that

thank you

• Posted

I had this feeling for 12 months and drove me crazy and a lot of money in doctors fees but I found a cure for it by accedent and im sure its a bacteria that causes it, I had this feeling of someone had tied a tie to tight and left it there, I had a sty in my eye and bought and antibiotic eye ointment called

goldeneye \"antibiotic 1% w/w

chloramphenicol eye ointment

\" lable said \"for acute bacterial conjunctivitis 4%. \"

SO I put the ointment under my eyelid about 1 cm it said but I put it across the whole eyelid

20 mins later I felt this drainage going down the back of my throat a little bitter though nothing of it, but iot was the eye antibacterial ointment running through the sinus and down my throat.

I went to bed woke up the next day and the lumop felling waswell reduced so I put the eye ointment on libraly the next day same drainage happened down my throat woke up the next day it was gone.

12 months of this lump and eye ointment cured it. just put more on eye than instructions, no harm to the eye or body.

hope it helps let me know if it was a success for you back on here.

• Posted

I suffer from problems with swallowing and dry retching that have been described as 'globus hystericus.' I am on the psychiatric medication Nardil (Mono Amine Oxidase Inhibitor) which successfully controls this but has a whole host of eveil side effects such as weight gain, insomnia, febrile symptoms and bi polar III.

To be avoided unless you absolutely have to.

AngelaBrazil

Middlesbrough, UK

• Posted

I know these post's are quite old now but I had to respond to them, i'm totally amazed at what I've just read & actually feel quite overwhelmed by it. THANK YOU to each & every one of you for your post's, you have no idea how relieved I am. I have been suffering with this for about 7/8 years, been back to the GP so many times they were going to get me a "clocking in card" made at the staff entrance lol .

I was diagnosed with anxiety a few years back & actually found it so hard to believe, I was the most happy go lucky, carefree person you could ever meet. If I was broke before pay day...oh well, Don't go to work to be liked, but to pay my mortgage, so what !! it's raining, etc. etc. I never gave 2 hoots about anything.

All of a sudden after a really stressful week at work (truck driving) I felt rubbish, had a sore throat, tired the usual symptoms & that's how my problems began.

It felt like know one could understand what I was trying to explain, which I would get so frustrated about, hence making the problem worse. Back to the GP again etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

It's only now after reading these posts that it's finally shone some light onto things. I've actually sat here trying some of the things people have suggested & it really has worked cheesygrin cheesygrin . At least now I can look ahead & make plans on how to control these problems & look for further help.

I actually feel really bad that my GP was right & I kept dismissing it whoops redfacenow I can really focus on helping myself . Thank you all I hope you manage to achieve in moving forward & dealing with this horrible problem, Good Luck biggrin

• Posted

I was looking for a Globus support group and came across this forum. I've had this problem now badly for 3 months. It's been such an issue that I've actually moved back to the UK from Spain as I just couldn't deal with it in a foreign country. Since then, I've had 2 endoscopies, 1 chest x ray, and an ultra sound - all came up negative which of course was brilliant but I still have the same problem which ranges from the lump in my

throat which feels like a hairball at times! to a flaming throat and tongue ulcers. My Doctor has been great

but doesn't seem able to give me any advice. He's given me antibiotics now as I kept asking him if he was

quite sure it wasn't an infection. I've been taking them for 5 days now and to be honest it's no different.

I've been told it will just go away on its own, but reading about people having this for years freaks me out.

In all honesty, I don't think this is stress related, I really don't - if it was, surely once the stress had gone you

would be back to normal wouldn't you? my Dr. also thinks it's not necessarily anxiety related but a

mechanism in the throat which has been compromised somehow......this started after I had 2 wisdom

teeth removed, 1 Doctor thinks it's relevant but the other doesn't...either way I've got it whatever the cause. I think I've also got post nasal drip so am going to try the golden eye and may ask my Doctor for

Citalopram after reading these posts. In the meantime my sympathies to you all..........

• Posted

Hello Folks,

Through conditions that I stupidly put myself in I am dealing with a potential HIV exposure. It happened two weeks ago now and I'm in that period where people can start feeling symptoms of it, including swollen lymph nodes, sore throat, fever, headaches, etc. Doctors and several people have stated that even though my encounter to the exposure carried a great many risks, chances of me contracting are extremely low. Like one out of a quarter million low, so I'm not too worried about contraction.

At least that's what I tell myself to keep as calm as I can, because the last two weeks have been pretty heavy with anxiety attacks and stress. Right now I'm having dreads of sore throats and swollen lymph nodes. I constantly poke around my neck, looking for something abnormal but never finding it, and for a while I've been feeling multiple different sensations in my throat.

Lump in throat, kind of like that thing where you get really sad and have to cry, or get worried about loved ones.

Tightness around the throat, like I'm being slowly strangled.

Feelings of mucus or gunk in the throat.

And a new sensation now, a scratching feeling. Like someone took a small pick and just dragged it about an inch down my throat.

Despite all this, it never hurts to swallow or breath.

This has been going on for about five days now. Until two days ago when my doctor proscribed Lorazepam to help surpress things, I've had anxiety attacks with every throat sensation, which only went on to make them worse. It's caused me a lot of sleep being lost, lying there and feeling weird crap in my throat, but every time I wake up in the morning and feel completely fine. THe Lorazepam is doing it's job by keeping away the anxiety freak outs but I still have feelings of dread about getting sick. I know I shouldn't, chances of getting just a run of the mill sore throat are greater than contracting HIV even in my scenario, but I still have dread over this and that dread I'm guessing is causing all these weird sensations in my throat.

I'm scheduled to see a psychiatrist about my anxiety and stress tomorrow evening. I'm guessing he'll prescribe something more long term than Lorazepam.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.