Bunion Surgery what to expect

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hello, I am having Lapidus Bunionectomy scheduled on March 28th. I am trying to prepare for this. I got my crutches and air cast boot. I attempted to get up my stairs and man is it hard on one foot and with crutches. I went most of the way on bum.I swear that once i get up I wont be going down anytime quickly. What can I do to prepare for this surgery? I will be making a few meals ahead of time. The Dr says 6 weeks non-weigh bearing. Can I sleep in my bed? or will the couch be my bed for a while. Any ideas or tips to help me through this would greatly help. Is the pain bad?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had mine 11 days days ago and the stairs really bothered me too! They told me no weight bearing too but when I came round had a plaster cast on and they give you a great shoe which means you can put your foot down but on heel only so I could get up stairs (47 of them) with 1 crutch and bannisters and help. First 3-4 days stay in bed if poss especially if got ensuite, as basically you need to be near the nearest loo. Mine was 6 steps and that was enough!! But I must say it has NOT been as painful as I thought it would but I do keep my foot at least 18inches elevated most of those first days and took plenty of arnica. Keep plenty of drinks, fruit, small snacks (to take with painkillers) books, pen paper and laptop within reach. Less you get up the better. You will need a willing helper to feed you too!! But don't worry too much, stay positive and the worswt thing is boredom and daytime tv!! PS if bed near loo use that but don't tuck duvet/sheets in at bottom as you will want to put you foot out!!

Good luck

Jill

Devon, England

• Posted

Hello Anita. You might want to check out one of the existing discussions since there are loads of tips and help there. I usually follow the bunion surgery pain one.

I am nearly 4 weeks post op. I had two weeks non weight bearing.

I did not attempt the stairs during this time as we don't have stair carpet and they are a tricky shape. I slept downstairs on a sofa bed which actually worked well for me. Others have managed to get upstairs.

I strongly recommend borrowing a wheel chair. I didn't have one and it would have helped a lot. I made do with a wheely office chair.

I got a stool for the shower which is a big help.

Take your pain meds before the ankle block wears off. I found I had bad pain for only 2-3 days.

Get things you need around your bed area.

Make some meals and put them in the freezer.

Get some freeze gel packs or ice.

Put some cushions or pillows under end of your mattress to raise it up.

Stack some pillows around your foot in bed to keep the bed clothes from weighing it down.

Most important: rest, ice and elevation.

Also unless you are told differently wiggle your toes and do leg lifts as often as you remember. This helps to reduce the swelling. You can also rotate your ankle.

You will have less swelling and discomfort if you keep your foot raised above your heart or nose and ice it regularly.

Do not do too much.

Make sure you have a phone nearby in case it rings and you feel you need to answer it ( I nearly fell over trying to answer the phone).

Make sure your crutches are correctly adjusted for your height and the arm length is right for you. Make sure you can use them properly. I found out later that mine were too short for me which was why I was so unstable and felt I was going to fall over.

Good luck, Beth

• Posted

Hi Anita

I am almost 5 weeks post surgery and it is not an easy process. That said it wasn't quite as bad as I had expected.

Good advice has already been given to you and as Beth said there is a lot more info on the other discussion.

Your type of surgery is one of the latest I think. I googled it as I had never heard of it. I didn't know there were so many different methods of doing it! Yours has a more permanent success rate, according to the internet. I had Akin Osteotomy and if it comes back I doubt I would want to do it again. Although time is a great healer.

You will need everything to hand and use your crutches to get to the loo. I'm sure your hospital will give you advice before you are allowed to go home.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. Don't forget to have your ipad, laptop or mobile close by.

Jan, Derbyshire, England

• Posted

Anita - I had hallux valgus and 2nd hammertoe correction on 27 November 2013. I live in a house with stairs. I was given crutches following my operation and the physiotherapist at the hospital showed me how to use the crutches and manage the stairs. The hospital has a 'dummy' staircase for this purpose. I live in UK West Yorkshire. I was fearful that I would never manage the stairs but when it came to it and with the help of the physiotherapists it was actually quite easy. They told me when going up the stairs to hold both the crutches with my right hand ( it was my left foot which was operated on) and hold the handrail of the staircase with my left hand. With the crutches on the floor then place your good foot on the first step and push up with the crutch(es), then you bring your poorly foot on to the same step. Repeat this until you reach the top of the stairs. When coming down the stairs and with both the crutches in the hand it's the crutch(es) that go on the step first, followed by the poorly foot and then the good foot. Repeat this until you get to the bottom. I had to wear a heel wedge shoe for the first 6 weeks after my operation and the heel HAS to bear the weight of the foot. With this shoe on you have no other option but to put all the weight on the heel. Also going up and down stairs is helped and is easier if you place your poorly foot on each step of the staircase sideways. After a few days I became quite expert at getting myself up and down the stairs and as we don't have a lavatory or bathroom downstairs I had to make a success of managing the stairs. Trust me, you will manage without the need to do all this on your bottom. Also, I have a little canvas bag which I put my mobile phone and the house phone in each time I went from room to room. I did this in case I had a fall or some other mishap. It's just over 15 weeks since my operation and looking back I'm amazed how I have managed and made progress. So, don't become despondent as you WILL manage. Just give it some thought and work out how your going to tackle certain things. I also have a table with wheels on and I used to push it into the kitchen where I could assemble my breakfast/lunch etc on the days my husband was working and then I could push the loaded trolley with my food/drinks on into the dining room and eat my meal in comfort. You see, a little thought and planning is all that's required.
  • Posted

Thanks for all the help. I will be cooking meals for the freezer this week. I am practising on the stairs already. I am giving some thought with regards to renting a knee scooter. For me to sit down for any length of time will be hard as I like to be up and do stuff. Thinking of getting Netflic for being able to watch something durning the day. I guess the key is get organized and then just go with it. Life will be different as I know it but it wont be for long right.
  • Posted

Positive thinking, you will feel a lot better after a few days and your body will soon tell you if you are doing too much. Netflix sounds like a good idea but wouldn't use a knee scooter for a long time as doesn't keep your leg elevated. Not seen one b4 so googles it. Clever idea! idea

• Posted

Anita - You may like to consider investing in a bed cradle. I bought one and found it invaluable as it lifts the bed clothes off the legs. It slides under the mattress and the duvet ( or whatever kind of bed clothes you use) then goes over the top of the cradle. For extra snugness I then draped a blanket over the duvet at the foot of the bed and this ensured that there were no draughts. I have to say I needn't have had any such worries as my bed developed its own little micro climate and I was always nice and cosy but not too warm as to be uncomfortable. Once my bandages came off and I was confident enough to dispense with the bed cradle, I did miss not having it at first as using it was just like having my feet/legs in a warm tunnel with no weight on them. It's adjustable so you can have it at the height to suit you. And is easily dismantled for storage when not in use. You do not say whether you live in the UK. However, bed cradles are widely available if you decide to try one. You indicate that you want to be up and doing stuff. So do I. But I think as Jillyco has mentioned your body will let you know when you're doing too much. Also, I have read many times on this discussion site of people who've had this type of surgery and get impatient after only a very short time - in some cases days after the surgery - saying how they'll go mad if they have to put up with any more immobility. This makes me extremely angry as the surgery whilst not life threatening does require a much longer recovery period than say a hip or knee replacement operation. All the information and guidance I've been given specifically tells you to keep OFF the foot and keep it elevated just about 24/7 for the first 2 weeks initially and thereafter to rest it again elevated as much as possible. Believe me if you try to do anything other than follow this advice you will be your own worst enemy and pay for it in terms of prolonged recovery and swelling. My foot still gets a bit swollen if I've had a busy day and been on my feet a lot. Aside from not yet able to go for long distance walks ( by that I mean 4,5,6, miles) I am able to lead a normal life and spent the day in the garden yesterday. I resumed driving on 9 February. So, please be careful.
  • Posted

P.S. You say that for you 'to sit down for any length of time will be hard'. Believe me, for you to be on your feet for any length of time after your operation will be even harder. As you will find out. The rush of pressure and throbbing will be apparent when your foot is not elevated and you'll not be able to sit down again quickly enough to relieve these symptoms.

G.

• Posted

I live in Calgary, Alberta Canada. My husband seems to think I wont be down that long. I am going to follow the advise and baby my foot for the 6 weeks. I am thinking of getting a knee scooter to help me around the house. I am not good on crutches and have been practising. For some reason I just dont get it. I keep hopping. Life will be different as I know it. Once all this healing is done will I be able to walk like I used to. I do 10,000 steps a day and really enjoy it. I do love my treadmill and will miss it. I am going to do the treadmill till the surgery.

• Posted

and then give it up!! Consider what caused your foot problem. Actually I am only jealous, my lovely bunion has stopped me walking very far at all for about 6 months now. Paid £30 in 1 week for taxis so thought operation here I come. Looking forward to getting back to enjoying my beautiful seaside town again. Educate your husband that he is going to have to look after you for at least the first week as you will need feeding and medicating. Much better if someone else controls the drugs at first! My husband likes the cooking as we have a café and live upstairs though the 4 flights up to me have been a challenge for him. He too has not been walking much whilst I haven't been able to. We are both looking forward to being able to go back to our beach , Woolacombe,when I am able, before we cant fit into our wetsuits anymore!!
  • Posted

All good advice here. I have googled the knee scooter and it's a neat little thing. I personally wouldn't trust myself on one. I will stick to crutches.

You are making us jealous Jill talking of your beach. It is lovely there. Calgary is great too. My brother-in-law lived there for many years and has recently moved to Peachland. Fantastic through the Rockies.

I am looking forward to walking in our hills in the Peak District, which is one reason (apart from buying the cafe) we moved here. Haven't been able to do any walking or climbing since my bunion etc. So I will take all the advice given and not rush things. I want my foot to be at least 95% better.

• Posted

I'm going for 110% please!! and yes The Peaks are lovely. Castleton at Christmas is magical. Too hilly here for scooters - I would get done for speeding!! Now does anyone else have a plastercast???
  • Posted

Anita - So, you say re the crutches "I am not good on crutches and have been practising. For some reason I just don't get it." Maybe that's because until you've had the operation and have your foot all wrapped up you won't know what you are capable of. Maybe you should stop all this faffing about trying to learn how to use your crutches and wait until you are in the position whereby you need to use them. I think you will then find that you will be able to manage to use them and that 'you will get it!.You will more than likely get very good advice and guidance in the hospital or wherever you're having the operation how to use the crutches Your balance before the operation and the balance after it will be completely different. For goodness sake! Implement a bit more patience.
  • Posted

Hi all. I've been folowing you all for the last couple of weeks and had to join in! I had a bilateral scarf and aitken on 26 February in Perth, Scotland.

I had a spinal block and was aware what was happening all the way through my op-a totally bizarre experience! After, the pain was severe enough to keep me in hospital overnight but since I escaped I've been able to manage with codeine and paracetamol for the first week and then just paracetamol. I was put in plaster with heel walking boots for the first fortnight but since last Thursday have been bandage free with just toe separators and my heel walkers. I have instructions to keep my feet up for the next three weeks. I've had very little bruising and swelling. I realise that I've been very lucky and think that my lovely consultant is a very skilled surgeon.

For those still to have the op and in the early stages of recovery, I think that the most important thing to do is to elevate and to be so patient-hard for all of us who do so much every day!

Thanks to those of you who are chatting on this forum-I look forward to hearing about all that is still to come-especially the shoes! My one wish is to wear a pair of flat strappy sandals again-and with my lovely straight feet this looks as if it may happen this year-too exciting!

Happy feet! Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

your experience sounds pretty good. I must say, I haven't had too bad a run of it, but I am a bit in teh dark about a few things as my surgeon was the 'world's busiest' and only gave me a bout 2 minute advice on dscharge - basically keep your feet elevated - and then at the post op appointment when the plaster came off both he said I shoudl massage my big toe and keep the legs elevated for another 3 weeks + walk in the booties thingies. Oh and he said it would be ok to wet the feet now. That's all well and good but I didn't know that shouldn't bathe the feet completely, I didn't know I would be getting really strong pains in teh bunion area of each foot every night and I haven't a clue how often or how strong I shoudl be bendng these big toes! Maybe you have better guidelines? Would appreciate any advice.

Many tahnks in advance.

Angela

• Posted

Hi there

When did you have your op as that's a really important fact?Certainly if it was less than 6 weeks ago I wouldn't worry about toe strengthening at the moment. I was told by the nurse who removed my plaster that the more used you can get to massaging your toes the better. I didn't do any toe exercises until about 8 weeks post op but I did a lot of foot massaging. I used to bathe my feet every day so I don't understand why you wouldn't get your feet wet unless you're still in plaster? The pains may need checked but again that depends how many weeks post op you are.

You sound like you're doing fine but if you're really concerned about anything get in touch with the hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.