will taking the drug affect mental performance+concentration

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have been suffering from an undiagnosed hip injury for nearly three years and i have been prescribed many different drugs. naproxen turned me yellow, tramadol gave me horrible withdrawl symptoms and codiene had no impact on my pain. i am now currently taking DHC, and it is very effective at curing the pain, however i do suffer from heat flushes, and suffering from mild asthma it makes me feel a little short of breath. however it is the most effective at killing the pain an making me able to function. however i am coming up to taking my A levels and am worried that as i take 4 30mg tabs of DHC, along with 8 500mg tabs of paracetamol that i will become addicted, and it will effect my mental performance and concentration in my exams. :?:

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Here is to some info on DHC, in case you had not already had a nosey round. There is a risk of dependence and tollerance, as with most painkillers that contain either codeine or opiate drugs. They do work well, but, there is usually a pay off, case of striking a balance or trying alternative treatment. Hope all is well.
  • Posted

You should moan to your GP about why youve been left for 3 years with no diagnosis for this hip problem :?

Aslong as you dont take the exams whilst feeling woozey it shouldnt effect the results too much smile If it does effect the results ask to retake the exams with the excuse that you was off your head on DHC :D

Yes, be prepared for full blown morphine withdrawl symptoms when you stop taking it sad

• Posted

I was given this drug for sciatica. I had severe back and leg pain. I started taking this drug every day and benefitted from its effect. I had no pain, but was a bit high. So far, so good, I thought. After a few weeks I had to take more and more. I was getting used to dihydrocodeine, though I wasn't aware of it at the time. I was up to 10x30mg a day. The prescribed dose was 6x30mg, plus 8 paracetamol and 2 diclofenic. That is quite a cocktail. No wonder I was high :lol:

I saw a chiropracter, and stopped the tablets. I felt terrible for a few days then resorted to the tablets, thinking that the chiro's manipulations had caused me pain. I then only had the dihydocodeine every 3 days or so, and saw the chiro every 3 days or so. I suddenly twigged that it was withdrawal symptons from the dihydrocodeine I was suffering from - runny nose, runny bottom, general aches and pains etc. Opiate withdrawal. It's not funny.

One of the doctors I've seen wants to put me on tricyclic depressants as another way of treating pain. I gave him the finger for that.

I say to prople who have been prescribed this drug to be very careful. It is good for a few months; after that it gets sour. Very sour, in my case.

I have now stopped taking the tablets and I feel better in myself, though I still suffer from pain. The pain can be quite severe, and it makes me tired and irritable. I might have an operation on my back to sort out the sciatica.

GP's are not all that good, in my opinion. They see the symptons and prescribe for the symptons. They do not get to the root cause. They are ruled by their computer systems, which means you get a 10 minute slot to talk to them and describe all the things you are feeling. It is not enough time. I was actually shown the door by my GP, and told to come back later because he was busy. He also gave me morphine because of the pain I was in, and 100 dihydroceodeine tablets on a repeat! He turned me into a junkie because he just tries to treat symtpons.

6 months ago, I was over the moon(literally) with the medicine. Now, I will not touch it with a barge pole.

Modern medicine. Nothing like it

:wink:

I hope this will help someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.