relief found from liquorice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Having been through the usual omeprazole and sucralfate am now taking lanso which is working fairly well, however still find I get a lot of break through burning and irritation which usually wakes me up during the night. I have found that liquorice works extremely well and really smooths my whole stomach, oesophagus etc. It has to be the real hard, unsweetened stuff that you can get in health stores. It is like a stick of rock and can only be broken with a hammer! However, just a tiny bit works wonders!

Would be interesting to know if anyone else has found this, although I do believe that ulcer/gastric healing is one of its properties.

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi i am intrested in the liquorice you mention been to holland and barret all i could find was panda and some aussie stuff which was soft have tried but no help.have been on lansoprole 30mg for 2 months and am waiting to see my doc as have just run out not keen to carry on with it doesnt agree with me.where did you get your rock hard liquorice from would like to try it thanks.
  • Posted

HI, I have also been using liquorice as well and it helps with my stomach problems. If you go into Holland & Barratt and ask for Chewable DGL Liquorice Extract.

Dont use normal liquorice because it has something in that causes high blood pressure if taken over a period of time. The DGL has had this removed and it causes no problems and does not cause interactions with other medication. You can find information about this on the internet. There have been some studies done that show licorice can be effective. But as is the same for every thing we try it works for some and not for others.

• Posted

Re querie from Ted. I can only get hold of this stuff in a small independent health food store. The packet is unmarked with a supplier, it just says 'liquorice juice extract'. I'm sure any wee health shop in your area would be able to locate this.
  • Posted

hi thanks for the replys have bought bottle of holland and barret chewable dgl extract and started them today so fingers crossed they will work :D
  • Posted

Hope it helps TED. I have looked at a number of things on the internet and the way to take it is two tables three times a day. Twice 20 mins before meal times and the last tablets before bedtime. It takes a couple of weeks to kick in but they do work and studies have shown them to be as good as cimitidene when taken over a period of time. Hope you start to feel the benifits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.