second vasectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I am looking for help I have just had my second vasectomy done just 2 weeks ago due to a failed vasectomy the first time. I have 2 large lumps 1 at the insision site and 1 and the opisite end of the insision and they are both causing me a lot of pain which runs down my leg I have seen my doctor but has told me to give it a couple of months but I didnt get any pain like this the first time. Can a second vasectomt increase any chances of side effects or chronic pain.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I wouldn't say it increases risk of chronic pain but it does increase your risk of exposure to chronic pain from a 2nd op - the base line from the NHS is a 10% risk of chronic pain - to a greater or lesser degree.

I know only to well how worrying it can be when the pain rapidly picks up, in your case you have the added complication / worry of knowing it wasn't there the 1st time.

HOWEVER do not worry yourself overly over this and have some faith in your GP that it could settle down, it is a very sensitive area full of nerve endings, and even a tiny tweak of these during the op can cause you pain but that doesn't mean it is long term and does mean it could well settle down.

I know how painful it can be and I also know how hard it can be to convince a Dr how bad the pain actually is - I would suggest a visit back to the GP and ask for some major pain relief - certainly you want to consider OTC meds but ideally if you are finding the pain is having an adverse effect then get some prescription strength pain killers - it is pointless me recommending any as 1. Your GP will be best placed to give a med fitting your exact nature of & locale of pain 2. Your GP will, rightly, poo poo any suggestions people off the net give you.

If you drive or operate machinery remember to mention this to GP when discussing pain relief options.

Don't worry too much, things can settle down you know and hopefully they will do so quickly for you

• Posted

Thanks for the help finding any information on people having a vasectomy for the second time is imposible to find and that just makes things worse. I will take your advise and see my doctor again and get pain killers as the ones I am using are not helping. Thanks again
  • Posted

You're very welcome.

Tightish / very supportive underwear can help as well. If you don't get on with GP or new meds only have partial success then a TENS machine is worth a serious thought....didn't really help with the PVP but has really helped in the past with my back nerves - maybe worth a thought if it is your leg nerve playing up.

Even better if you can borrow one off anyone you know. That way at least you can see if it does help. The beauty of a TENS machine on nerve / muscular pain is the relief is almost instant - it is an uncomfortable feeling at first with the way the machine works but the effects can be startlingly good. Can either chat with your GP about this or with Pharmacist.

take care

• Posted

I've spoken to quite a few chaps who have had a snip, and including myself, we all had lumps form. Nearly everyone's died right back to barely unnoticeable - so don't worry too much on that front either!
  • Posted

The pain starts from the area of the lumps and runs down the side of my leg. Seen the doc and no luck just told me take normal paricetamol even after I was jumping on the bed in pain at the doctors lol. Great idea for tence mashine will give it a go. Thanks again
  • Posted

I have on-going pain that runs into my left ar$e cheek as well as PPVS. Think the original snip did that damage. The only temporary relief I had was after the epididymectomy when I'd had anaesthetic injected to ease the pain. That unfortunately wore off.

Where are you/did you have the second op. I'd personally get that done under general at a hospital, not a butcher of a GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.