Be careful - Flucloxacillin can make you feel very unwell!

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have just started a course of these and took my first capsule at 16.00 0n 21/8/08, an hour before food / on an empty stomach. At 20.30, I suddenly had severe heartburn followed by sickness and diarrheoa, which lasted until 01.00. I remembered that this happened the first time I took these and was advised then to take with food. So that is what I'm doing from today. They were still effective last time but at least I did feel so ill. I am hoping they will be OK this time round too.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

I had started the course of four tablets every 24 hours. when the first tablet was taken i felt fine but after that one time , each flucloxacillin pill has caused me extreme discomfort and mild/high pain.

I had trouble breathing (very short of breath), i could feel the path which the tablet took and as the tablets flowed through my body i felt different amounts of pain. i was drousy and felt sick , yet as this went on my illness (luckily!!) decreased.

• Posted

I was given a course of Floxacillan 500mg 4 times per day for an infected toe nail. The toe was very painful and I could not get my shoe on. I started the course on 23rd of December right in the middle of the holidaysAfter taking 3 pills I had the worst bout of indigestion. This happened on Christmas day and so there was not a lot I could do about it. I did not relate the indigestion to the antibiotics and so I carried on with them.

After taking them for three days and having indigestion consistently, I eventually put two and two together but as it was only a five day course I decided to persevere. However I then suffered the most horrible headaches and with only three tablets left I had to give in and end the treatment. My toe is still swollen andnever again will I take this particular antibiotic!

• Posted

I am only on day 2 of a 5 day course. I am taking 4 500mg per day, taking them on an empty stomach doesn't seem right as its given me terrible stomach pains and indigestion, my stomach is constantly gurgling like I need to burp. I fly to America on Saturday so I'm hoping I'll feel OK by then, keep your fingers crossed for me.

• Posted

The same thing was happening to me I felt like I was having some kind of stroke and there was no relief for me lying down at all. These tablets are torture I hate them
    • Posted

Hi, I started on a course of these antibiotics for a chest infection, which it seems to be very effective for, however I have experienced sever pain in my stomach on day two of the course, despite taking them with meals, I am reluctant to discontinue course as they seem to be working, did you find any remedy to release the stomach pains.?
    • Posted

I was prescribed the same medication for the same condition. I also work night shifts and took a capsule at work but felt like I was having a heart attack. I had chest pains, sweating, dizziness, stomach pains etc. is there any advice as to whether you can take flucloxacillin at night?

• Posted

Started on a course of these antibiotics, they seemed to be very effective in reducing the infection in my Lungs but on day two I experience the pains in my stomach, which then kept me awake for most of the night. I did take the tablets prior to taking food, are there any recommendations to reduce this effect, as I am reluctant to discontinue the treatment. ?
  • Posted

i have just left hospital after a 5 day stay for cellulitis and blood poisoning. was on the IV Flucloxacillin and was fine..left hospital and was given a week supply of Flucloxacillin and Calvepen...never have I had stomach pains, indigestion and heartburn like it...its a very very severe and disturbing side effect!!!

• Posted

Too much of anything is dangerous. Always be cautious and speak to the GP before taking certain dosages.

• Posted

A similar thing happened to me. After a few days of no symptoms my stomach started to feel strange but along with that came a tingling in my left and and face. I saw someone in the comments also mention a similar sensation saying it felt like a stroke. I got to 6 days out of 7 and had to stop. NEVER taking this medicine again if possible. It's been over 24 hours since my last pill and I am still feeling the side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.