how long were waiting time/lists for your hip replacement

Posted , 22 users are following.

Hi l am very new to the forum. l've been reading all the discussions on here, l've gotton some really

good advice thanks. I am waiting for my operation and wondered how long l'd possibly have to wait?

My Consultant says l need it asap, that was 4 weeks ago. I live in the North East of England, l realise

NHS lists variey across the UK. However I am off work atm and understand recovery is 6 weeks.

l'm very anxious about being off work so long, hope anyone can give me some idea please

margi

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Margi...not sure about NHS waiting lists but I know if its desperate they can send you to a private hospital . I had BUPA cover so mine was done as soon as I made my decision!

I wouldn't rely on 6 weeks off work though...I had my op 10 weeks ago and physio has said I need another couple of weeks to build up stamina and fitness.

If all goes well and you follow the exercises normal recovery is 6-12 weeks and you'll find some people on here who were doing allsorts at 6 weeks but everyone is different. Also depends on your job and if you need to drive a lot...I drove short distances st 7 weeks but only now would I be able to manage the 45 min drive to work in the traffic...you need yo take your time...fortunately people where i work are more anxious about me coming back fully fit than the length of time I've had off!!

Hope it works out..stay on the forum for ongoing support...it really does help!

Chris

• Posted

Thank you l  appreciate your advice.

l'm hoping my works insurace will pay for the op but failing that its nhs for me, l think l will chase it up

cheers 

• Posted

Chris, the pre op tests only last for 6wks,so in theory you should get it done within 6 weeks of your pre op..mine was done 4wks after my preop.

Regarding post op recovery time,as you can tell from the posts here each person is different..a friend of mine had instant relief from any previous pain and was back working as a gardener after 10wks.

my experience has been fairly bad pain from the joint for 4wks after the op,and 10wks in I still have some joint pain,especially after driving or sitting for more than an hour at a time,hopefully thinga will gradually improve,but tbh I doubt I will be climbing hills anytime soon.

its worth remembering that of the 85k replacements performed annually in the UK the vast majority are a complete success..the ones that aren't are often due to pre existing conditions such as arthritis in the lower spine,or pelvic bones,and it is a fairly complicated technical operation,where miscalculations must be made occasionally.

Hope yours is too.

• Posted

I was put on the list mid jan and could have been done mid April but chose June. I am in coventry and will have the op at rugby hospital.
  • Posted

Hi, I had THR two years ago. I was in hospital less than 48hrs. Post Op i was on crutches for two weeks (but felt able to walk unaided for short distances after a week) I was back at work after 3 weeks but just couple of days a week. I felt well enough to go back full time after 4 weeks. Not allowed to drive for 6 weeks which was restrictive but this is due to safety reasons and your insurance will not cover you if you drive within 6 weeks. I was amazed at how quick recovery was but i am fairly young (54) for this op.  One thing i was not told at the hospital was that my leg would swell up alarmingly after about three days; apparently this is normal. The thing i found hardest was sleeping on my back. After two years everything is ok, just get odd twinges if i do too much. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Margi - i am in California and there was no waiting list for me, I got to schedule it when I wanted it.  Recovery for anterior approach is 4-6 weeks and for posterior a bit longer.  I know because I am one of the few who got one of each.  I was able to drive at 4 weeks for posterior and at 1 week for anterior.  
  • Posted

Hi, normally wlist is no longer than 12wks, that is the target for nhs. Recovery varies, 6wks is pretty standard but it depends what you do for a living. If your a manual worker 6wks isn't enough but probably ok for sedentary jobs. Remember there are a lot of "don'ts" post op like sitting at a certain level, toilet facilities, etc etc. seek advice from your physio or post op clinic
  • Posted

I am having mine at the Freeman and my Consultant said a couple of months - its usually 6 months plus.  I have had my pre op assessment and the information session and should have been going in 2 weeks but the anaesthetist wants me to have an echo done on my heart - all my results were fine including my ECG and the only reason I can think is that I am overweight and he wants to check my heart is up to it.  I only found out about the delay because I rang and nobody can tell me the reason.  I have an appt with my GP on thursday so I'm hoping she can find ouy why.  I am really nervous about the whole procedure and was just getting used to the idea but this has knocked me right back and I am now absolutely terrified.
    • Posted

Would definitely recommend trying to lose some weight before your op as it makes everything so much easier......saying that I've put a stone back on since my op...all the chocolates from visitors and being waited on doesn't help!!
    • Posted

Hi, list is 12wks in Scotland, thought it was the same in England ...obviously not
    • Posted

Sorry Chris edited the my post after writing the last line..obviously meant hope you operation is a resounding success.
    • Posted

Paulus...I had mine 10 weeks ago and all is fine...original post was from MargiH.....these threads do get confusing!!

Chris

• Posted

I have lost nearly 2 stones in 8 weeks and have been really good.  My consultant wanted to go ahead anyway because of how bad my hip and knee is.  What is worrying me is the fact I was told I was good to go and now they are saying I need this heart echo done but nobody knows why.  
    • Posted

Hi Judi...I lost 2 stone too but just at doctors now and I've put a stone back on!  Although he did say the new joint weighed a few pounds!!!

I'm sure you'll find out whats going on so try not to worry...easy to say I know!

Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks crissy its good to talk to people who've gone through the same thing xx

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your situation and good luck.

, l'm waiting for my insurance company to give the go ahead they are taking there time its been 4 weeks and they are still asking for info off my GP and my Hospital Consultant, its so frustrating.  I need to get back to work asap! I haven't had a pre assessment sad

• Posted

Thanks for your message,  my NHS  hospitals  north tees 18 weeks minimum waiting
    • Posted

I know this may sound rude but how did you lose the weight as I'm waiting for a hip replacement and I've put on 3 stone and can't shift it? Thank you 

• Posted

I have managed to control my weight by going on a home cycle 3 times a week and using certain machines at the gym. This has been O.K till now but now I can't get to the gym because my mobility is so painful. I am having my first hip done next week - very nervous! . How do you keep a steady weight during recovery? Any tips? Thank you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.