Orlistat started today, Help re: food to eat, exercise

Posted , 9 users are following.

Finally I went to my Drs for help I am just over 5 foot tall and have put on so much weight since retiretiring, hit 14 stone. Have done Slimming World, Weight Watchers in the past and lost weight but it always went back on plus I gained even more after dieting. Today its been porridge for brekkie, lunch was ryvita's with very low low fat Philadelphia, this evening a huge salad, no dressing on it and if I get peckish I will have a banana or another apple. I was not given any diet sheets, my GP said to take a tablet during meal or up to 1 hour after a meal and that it will liquefy my fat that I may have absorbed and he went through the possible side effects, he was really lovely but I just didn't get a diet sheet given to me and so not to sure what I can really eat. I managed to refuse the ice cream with clotted cream topping that my granddaughter ate. Would be grateful for help and pointers, decided not to weigh myself until a week today and I am due to go back to my Drs in 4 weeks for a weight in and he said I must lose 5% of my body weight then it will prove it is working not sure what \5% is of 14 stone though, be so glad of any pointers, thank you.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maureen. There are others on here more expert than I but here goes. I have been on these now for 8 weeks and have lost a stone and a half, which I'm thrilled about. Slow and steady! First of all, there are no diet sheets and I had trouble with this at first  and everyone seems to. What my doctor told me is to read all the labels and only eat food which is less than 5g per 100g fat (any fat) and not more than 15g per meal. So really what you have to do is adjust what you normally eat to fit that. For instance I've changed my muesli which was high in nuts to one which isn't. My doctor also said that if I have a meal with no fat (say just fruit) not to take a tablet. I use an app on my iPad called My Fitness Pal to keep track of what I eat; I think you can use it on their web site as well, or there are others.  I have not touched a biscuit, sweet, cake (or ice cream!) since I started. As I understand it what you are doing is changing the way you eat and educating yourself to eat that way. Drink plenty of water! I have never had any side effects except for the first couple of days when I just went constantly, but I didn't have the "orange oil" people talk about. I think my body was just getting rid of what was already in there. If we go out, I say without a second thought now "no butter on the vegetables please" and you know I don't miss it. I'm sure others will help, and there are lots of meal ideas here.  We eat a lot of stir frys and I use Fry Light for those. There's also a Fry Light cookery book which you can download. We also eat lots of fish, so long as it isn't an oily fish. I hope this helps.
    • Posted

Thank you Sally for your help.  I cannot remember if the Dr said to take a tablet or not if I was eating anything with fat, I made myself a salad last night  and had fruit for desert whilst my grandaughter had ice cream with clotted cream sad This morning I made a smoothy with a pineapple, banana's cinnamon and ginger and am feeling full.  I guess its putting in exercise as well to help it move quicker so I will have to get the lawn mower out and do a few hours of gardening, thank you so much for your help smile

• Posted

If you want a pudding other than fruit, have sorbet which is fat free. I do that if we're eating out. It's really best not to have ice cream and clotted cream in the house! Also it's probably not a good idea to get your granddaughter into bad ways either:-)
    • Posted

Thanks Sally, my grandaughter lives with me and fortunately she takes after her Fathers side -slim and extremely tall for her age, she is fit, healthy and into sport so the tube of ice cream is for her and the rest of the clotted cream is hers, if she has had enough she leaves it on her plate and is a healthy eater unlike me.  I am not really a lover of ice cream, my downfall is roast potatos, veg with real butter on, bread or toast with butter and jam or peanut butter, puddings and lots of cakes, always had a problem with portion size. I had to get intot he right frame of mind and at almost 63, retiring from shift work with the nhs I allowed the weight to pile on through choccy's and biscuits, cakes, mocha drinks  etc, also finishing off my grandaughters meals as I couldn't bear seeing it be thrown in the bin, I know my health was suffering with breathlessness and I had to have my inhalers changed,  plus going from a size 12 to size 18 sometimes a 20 depending on the make.  I think getting to the point where my stomach was in the way when I tried to cut my toenails plus the raw skin forming under my bust which I had to show and tell to my Dr was the wake up call I needed to go to him for help, hence the orlistat, was thinking of rejoining slimming world but will see how I go with my first week and then possibly join up with SW next Thursday although I have got all the books for recipes etc here.  I know I cannot get 4 or 5 stone off overnight its a retraining my brain by eating sensibly from this day forth smilesmile

• Posted

Hi Sally can you tell me which brand of Muesli you are buying, I thought I could switch from the smoothie breakfast to some muesli for a bit of a change, thanking you smile

• Posted

Hi Maureen. I used to eat Dorset Cereals Simply Nutty muesli which is 9.2g fat per 100g, so have switched to Dorset Cereals Simply Fruity which is only 2.4g fat per 100g!  I weigh out 70g because I'm hopeless at guessing, and have 50ml semi skimmed milk plus a piece of fruit cut up on top.  I normally have a piece of fruit with every meal. My other breakfasts are: 1 poached egg on 1 slice of toast (no butter), banana sandwich with one banana and the bread cut very thin (no butter), porridge made with water instead of milk, an occasional treat of one thick slice of bread with a measured 10g butter and marmite, an occasional grilled rasher of lean bacon with mushrooms cooked in Fry Light. It's important for me to have variety and not get bored:-)
    • Posted

Hi Sally,  Thank you I shall go shopping a little later on and buy some Dorset Cereals and weigh it out as I am useless in that area, I enjoy muesli so I have to be very careful I don't go overboard on it.  I have had to withhold all bread from this diet as its my biggest downfall I became a carbo junky so better for me to avoid especially during these very early days smile I love sweet potato's which is good as they don't need any butter so have totally given up white potato's as I need butter on them, all these changes in what were eating are a huge help.  I was going to wait till I go back to my Drs in 4 weeks to see how its going with my weigh in, but I think I shall jump on my scales Monday night to see what has gone to encourage myself on this journey smile

• Posted

I haven't excluded bread or potatoes. It isn't a low carb diet, it's a low fat one. I would have had butter on potatoes before starting this but you know I really don't notice now. What I try to remember is that this is going to be a way of life and must fit into my normal eating patterns. I experiment with other things for flavour. For instance in a jacket potato I might put tuna and fresh tomatoes which give it some moistness. Personally I think if you give up too much you are less likely to stick to it (not you personally you understand). Someone told me that she had been on these and went out for a celebration meal where there was butter on the veg, and she had got so used to doing without that she didn't like the taste in her mouth any more. I gave up sugar in drinks when I was about 13 (everyone had it automatically then) and now I can't stand it. I hope to achieve this state with buttery and creamy things!! The one thing I do miss is cheese but very occasionally (on doctor's advice) I will have a tiny (and I mean tiny) sprinkle on something.
    • Posted

Hi Sally,  I popped into our local Lidl yesterday and found a new brand of Muesli being sold there sounded quite tasty Berries and Cherries by Simply Sumptuous with a drop of milk will try it tomorrow with some quark.  Fat 2.3g per 100g and saturates 0.4 g, now it is the unsaturated I am to be looking at isn't it ? We had steak last night with mushrooms, red peppars, tomato's, red onions lots of garlic and a sweet potato all done in the frying pan but without any frylight as my frying pans don't need anything in them they cook in the heat of the pan.  I am making lots of changes in the way I eat so it's not boring.  I gave up sugar when the Falklands dispute was on I think 1978/1979 as sugar prices increased and I refused to take it ever again in my tea or coffee which I kept to.  I just emptied my fridge of double cream, chevre goats cheese (my big downfall) and clotted cream, daughter took them home with her.  I used the last of the butter in my grandaughters brownies so there is only marg left in the fridge which I wouldn't touch with a bargepole I have always been a butter girl smile  you sure can tell the difference between marg and butter ! I had a pasty the other day and scouped out the insides and left the pastry.  I have relatives coming to stay in July and I don't want to let them see me this size I allowed myself to get to if I can possibly lose 2 stone before they come it would be a great acheivement although I am not sure if its possible.  I know I have to up my exercise so might get the bikes out and sort the tyres out  if this beautiful sunshine holdssmile

• Posted

Hi i have posted lots of helpful posts on this site about these tablets a i know how difficult it can be for people who are new to them (been there and had no help!) and have lost a ton of weight on them too. You don't get a diet sheet with these and you can eat more than salad. Food must be no more than 5g of fat per 100g and no more than 15g per meal. You can eat lean meat and there are low fat treats you can eat so your really not deprived. Cheese is a big no apart from any which are under the 5g rule. No oil apart from frylight please post back if you need any further help x
    • Posted

Hi I'm brand new today lol ,,, can you please send me your blog what all theses lovely people have been saying regarding what to eat etc xxx
    • Posted

Hi dear can u plz send me information abt ur blog or any diet plan for this tablets thank u very much
  • Posted

Hi Guys,

Just read through some comments and I have to say it feels exilerating not feeling alone on this issue! I have battled with my weight for 8 years, it was only 6 month ago I was diagnosed with Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. I started Slimming World 5 weeks ago and was slightly disappointed to have lost just under 1 stone (sad i know) but after totally wiping out all the rubbish I can't help feeling a little miffed. I have now been prescribed Orlistat, I have taken these before but had terrible side effects (mainly due to the lack of knowledge). Keeping my fingers crossed for a good weight loss! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

• Posted

Hi Rachel,  as you can see I am a newbie with Orlistat too and still finding my way around with it. Waiting to hear if its 5g of fat or .05g of fat upto 15g fat or.15g of fat permitted per day.  I would have been well chauffed with just under a stone in 5 weeks and maybe looked at the positive side by weighing something to that weight to see visually what you have lost, as its goodsmile I have not had any adverse side effects with Orlistat so far.  Its great there is a site where we can just find out more info or share,  keep thinking positive smile

• Posted

It's not more than 5g of fat per 100g (most labels show exactly this statistic which makes it easy) AND not more than 15g of fat per meal. So if you eat something which is 5g of fat per 100g, make sure you don't eat more than 300g of it! And that would have to be the whole meal, if you see what I mean.
    • Posted

Thanks Maureen. I'm just finding my feet (literally lol), I'm doing it along side Slimming World as it gives me a better guideline. I'm doing ok at the moment, but only started the tablets on Wednesday - I have a long road ahead of me! Your right about websites such as this, it makes a huge difference. I was prescribed Orlistat due to having Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome, although I have lossed weight I have also gained (ie) my first week at SW I lossed 6lb but the second week I put 4lb back on (I ate exactly the same things as the first week!) Safe to say it's a bloody nightmare, but I've stuck with it and asked for help (something I don't find easy) to acheive my goal. Thank you for responding, good luck with your journey. xxbiggrin
    • Posted

Hi Rachel,  Sorry but I have just read your journey so far, you really have had a very upsetting time, I am so glad you went and found aother Dr who listened to you, read your notes and got to the bottom of your medical history, and has heard your hearts cry.  Were all here on a journey, don't be to hard on yourself if you didn't lose as much as you desired there's always tomorrow or next week, you will get there by keeping focused.  I used to do SW and enjoyed it and lost over 3 stone with them, unfortunately I put it back on plus an extra stone, so I am a newbie for oralist so I am taking it one day at a time if I don't feel its going to good I will join SW again.  I have just got to keep focused and not beat myself up if I have a bad day smile  All the best on your journeysmile

• Posted

Oops, thank you Sally, I just hope that because I have been looking at the unsaturated fat I am still or have still done okay, BUT will now start looking at just the fat, its re-training my brain, trying to visualise 300g which would be like a block of butter plus a third of a block of butter with it, and then I dread to think what my lower action would be like, I do remember my Doctor saying if I had to much fat my nether regions would emit what would resemble oil coming away, the very thought made me feel yuk. Glad to be getting some of these things now during this first week than later, thank you so much smile

• Posted

Oh Maureen you've just had me splitting my sides laughing "your nether regions would emit". Goodness me I needed that laugh - Thank You!

I was told about certain side effects by a friend, it filled me with sheer dread. She called it a "residue"! X

• Posted

Hi Rachel, Lol for that reason alone I am being really careful with my fat intake, town is about 4 miles away and if I walk it instead of takig the car or bike it -  I don't fancy any incidents on route smile Cannot imagine the embarrasement I would go through !  Going to get myself into town for a few bits, not to much as I will have to carry them in my back pack, the exercise will burn up some of my excess I am carrying arounnd, every bit helps, have a good day x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.