Have I got globus

Posted , 14 users are following.

My symptoms started about 1 week ago I had a burger for tea and ever since I have had a lump sensation in my throat sometime feels like my airway is closing off been so anxious thinking I have cancer as my throat feels a little sore and food feels like it's getting stuck. The gp thinks it's all anxiety related but I'm not convinced the symptoms don't come and go the lump is always there it feels better in the morning think this is partly to do with the fact I'm not constantly trying to swallow, I also at times feel like there something being stabbed between my shoulder blades I'm taking reflux meds but nothing works. This is getting me down I'm only 33 and it's taking over my life .

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds very much like globus. Don't know about the stabbing in the shoulder blades part, I never got anything like that. The throat symptoms you describe are very similar to what you I experienced. When it first started, it felt like something was stuck in my throat for weeks. I kept sticking my fingers down there trying to get it out, but there was nothing there...Yes, it was better in the morning and as soon as I started swallowing it got worse.

Are you a smoker? If not, it's unlikely for you to get throat cancer and anyway it doesn't come on that quickly.

Try just to relax and do things you enjoy, that's what worked for me. If it makes you feel better, by all means get a 2nd opinion from another doctor.

• Posted

Hi i too have this and i am always convinced i  have cancer even though the camera down the throat i had came back clear last year,think it adds tot eh anxiety thing always worried. nut your not alone
  • Posted

I have had more or less the same thing for nearly 3 years.

Globus sensation is just a fancy way of saying they've got no idea.

It could be lungs, spine or neck.

I recommend getting an MRI scan.

• Posted

I am 47 I have globus and interestingly had pain between shoulder blades as well for a few weeks after it first started,  Which was 3-4 months ago. I think the back pain could be anxiety causing me muscle tension as my neck and shoulders get like that sometimes I do get quite an anxious, globus is supposed to be caused by anxiety. I thought I had throat cancer but was told it was globus. It does take your life over, I found it difficult to concentrate at work, and couldn't think about anything else, it still bothers me, it's bad today, it effects left back of my throat and my left ear hurts today as well.my friends sister has same symptoms she's thinking it's something serious. 

It's easy for people to say stop worrying it's just not that simple. I was advised to cut down on coffee as caffeine dries throat makes it feel worse. My throat usually feels worse at night bast in morning.

• Posted

Thank you all it's taking over my life 
    • Posted

Is your GP  treating your anxiety ?  I take propanolol for anxiety just when I need it. It was prescribed for migraines but gp said to take on occasions when I'm very anxious, and it does help.

sometimes just getting out for a walk or gentle exercise. Though you may not feel like it it does help. 

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

i had globus too...at one point i really thought thats the end of my life and i am only 24.. i am a doctor(fresh graduate).. but i wish to let you know that it wil get better.. i suffer globus for like 4 months and one day it just get better... try not to let it take over your life... and lexapro(SSRI) helps if you wish to depend on medicine... it will take sometime to cure but it will be better one day.. try to be positive... sorry for my broken english 
    • Posted

yiteng.. i am also a medical student.. it started 3 months ago and now its worsen. i have globus sensation throat pain difficulty in swallowing.. how di you resolve it?
  • Posted

Hi atlast i found someone who has exactly same symptoms as mine(including the pain near to the shoulder blade). i will take an endoscopy eventhough my doctor said no need and i will update the results here.. so need not worry dear friend..
  • Posted

Hi I have lost my baby few weeks ago ( stillbirth ) :-( but since then I've got this lump feeling in my throat and also feels like I have something stuck in my chest to. I don't have trouble eating. I feel like the lump is there when I move my head or turn . It's constantly there . Doctor's have looked and said there Is nothing there. I've been like 6 times. I think I have something serious wrong with me ( cancer ) . They won't send me hospital for a check Up . I'm 24 years old . I'm going through a hard time lately due to losing my baby very heart breaking. Also I have this stress of my throat and chest.
    • Posted

Hi, I'm really sorry about your loss.

What you have in your throat does sound like globus. I kept going to the doctors and they were awful telling me there was nothing there. I took myself to a & e and they referred me to ENT to have a camera up my nose and down my throat. It was clear and they just gave me omerprazole for acid reflux. The pain in your chest could be indigestion and hearing about your recent events it may be caused by stress.

It's a really awful thing mine has come back in the last day it feels like I'm choking. Have you tried gaviscon tablets?

Just keep telling yourself it will go eventually. That's what I do x

• Posted

Yeah I'm having a very bad time. No I haven't tried anything for it :-( I did think going a&E but think they would just turn me away . I don't think I'm going to choke . Just it's a constant feeling in my throat. Sometimes I have little pain too. Now it's on my chest makes me feel more worry over it. I don't get a burning senstion in my chest just feels like I've ate and it's stuck . Did the tube hurt up your nose and throat x everyone says it's stress but still can't help but worry
    • Posted

I would defiantly go to hospital if it carries on. The camera isn't plesant but at least they can check your throat. Mine is terrible but I kind of know it's caused by acid, but I am going to go back to the doctors because I keep thinking what if something has changed. If yours is acid they could put you on medication to help it doesn't seem right that your GP isn't helping.
    • Posted

My gp is crap . Same when I didn't feel my baby kick . Just said because I feel pressure and heart beat everything fine . Well ovs not cuz I have no baby and a broken heart. it's probs nothing but can't help but worry x
    • Posted

You need to see a different GP that's shocking!! I'm really sorry I hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

Thank you for your help Amy. Yeah I've made a appointment and I'm gonna demand to be refered to the hospital. I'm gonna be changing gp once I have results back about my baby etc etc. It's so hard to deal with everyone says I've been through a terrible time and stress has braught this on. But ovs it's harder to take people's word for it as it's not them going through it x
    • Posted

Well good luck, time is a great healer so they say. Stress can do all sorts to our bodies/minds. It makes me feel mental when the doc says there is nothing wrong. If it's globus that you have I can assure you it will get better in time x
    • Posted

Hi Natasha, my voice has never really sounded funny but has felt a bit strained if I talk a lot and seems to make the feeling in my throat worse.

I smoke so I don't rely help the situation to be honest.

What has happened to your voice?

• Posted

Yeah I smoke too. It just goes abit weird like when u have mucus there n you gotta cough. But I don't have mucus . I hope the doctors doesn't parm me off tomorrow
    • Posted

Yeah I get a bit of mucus like it's stuck. I know that smoking makes it worse but I do it to keep me calm lol. Let me know how you get on with the doctor x
    • Posted

The nurse was lovely she's gonna ask the doctor if I can have a ultra sound on my neck . If they say no she's going to ask if I can be seen at the hospital . So hopefully I'll get a call later to confirm
    • Posted

That's good news, hopefully you will start to feel a bit better now x
    • Posted

Yay the nurse phoned me back. They making me appointment at ent . So hopefully Not long to wait And will get the all clear :-) the lump feeling ain't been as bad today. Normally feels like got tablet stuck n throat is tighting . It's starting to flair up now. So I do hope it is anxiety from the upset Also with the same sensation on my chest between my boobs n upwards x
    • Posted

Hi Natasha, I'm glad the nurse has got you an appointment. It's best to get it checked out and it will put your mind at rest. If it is acid they can give you medication to help.

Let me know how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Natasha,

I know it’s beem years but did you ever get better? I have the same symptoms and feel hopeless right now.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Chandra ... did you get any help or answers? I have an ENT appointment on Monday but it's in morning when my symptoms are at their best ... I'm so afraid they are going to tell me it's my imagination or something. I feel like I can't breathe almost!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.