what a birthday

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi i was diagnosed with over active thyroid on my birthday. i am now on 40 mgs carbizamole and 60 propanolol. my main problem is feeling sick all the time i feel hungry but cant eat and this is really getting me down.has anyone else had this problem? i will be very grateful for any feedback as this is beginning to worry me now . thanks .

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was diagnosed 10 weeks ago. Have had same symptoms - can't eat, feeling sick. This will pass. I found it was just another 'stage' of the illness. I was only eating half a Weetabix a day. Lost stone and half in fortnight and all muscles gone and very weak.

Have been allergic to three lots of beta blockers. This doesn't help as have fast heart rate most of the time which is frightening.

I'm also on Carbimazole and thyroid levels coming down but I don't feel much better. I'm usually so fit and active but just feel so weak and days are long and a waste of time.

What you are going through is normal if you read other peoples comments. But it doesn't make it any easier. Good luck and keep in touch.

Kay

• Posted

hi kay thanks for replying im really getting fed up with feeling like this. i was diagnosed 30 th dec my birthday .i felt ill for a while really hot couldnt sleep but doc put it down to menopause which i am going through.now i have lost 2 stone and if i do get to eat its mainly sweet things. i didnt realise that this could make you feel so ill im going to the docs next week to get some anti-sickness pills as feeling hungry but sick is not nice. stay in touch . elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

I never thought you could feel as poorly as I have done over the past 10 weeks. Every day is different, I can't plan anything, Xmas came and went. My heart races which scares me, I'm weak, legs muscles wasted within two weeks of being diagnosed and did weight loss - stone and half so far but steady now. I keep thinking I'm going to have another blue light ambulance ride every time my heart races. It's not pleasant.

I have another blood test tomorrow, see the optician on Tuesday (I've got Graves Disease) and seethe consultant again on Wednesday who will decide whether or not to stick with the Carbimazole of try the iodine treatment.

I'm emotional and cry at the drop of a hat. I've not much appetite althogh that comes and goes. Out of the 14 symptoms for overactive thyroid, I've got 12! I've got no energy and usually I'm at the gym 3 times a week and a very active person (I'm 48). This has all stopped and I'm really fed up with it all! I'm sure it will all calm down but there's no date on it - you can see no end, unlike a cold when you know in a weeks time you'll be fine!

I've found reading other peoples views on this site very useful. It makes you feel you're not alone.

Keep in touch and take care. We WILL get better!

Kay smile

• Posted

Just read my reply - that'll teach me to use laptop on my lap!

I'm 48 - not 4!

I thought I was going through menopause Elaine, but just had a period - first one in a year! Hot flushes have stopped since taking thyroid drugs. I think my problems were thyroid not menopause.

Kay

• Posted

hi kay well today i managed to get dressed & wash my hair like you i too have no muscles no strengh tremors feeling sick hot cant sleep i could go on but, you know. they say mine is probarbly graves as well , i hate feeling like this but im glad i have someone to chat to about it as noone understands. i also get very emotional & my poor hubby doesnt know what to do hes been really good with housework shopping etc. i am also trying to give up smoking so wish me luck. bye for now elaine x
  • Posted

kay, forgot to say i was in hospital last wekend had a major panic attack & luckily for me the consultant on duty was the endo he reassured me a bit but, said it can take up to 18 months to sort out . dont think i can stand this for that long ive been off work for 4 weeks . i know this is a very common problem but it doesnt make it any easier. well wont trouble you anymore today . i must be getting on your nerves. elaine.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine,

Well done for getting up and dressed - I can remember at the start I thoght I would never get out of bed again. I too had a major heart racing session last Sunday and Monday. I have been given Atenolol (beta blockers) to take when it happens. (I was allergic to Sotalol and Propanalol and hwas covered in an awful rash for weeks.) I had to call my husband out of bed and he sat with me downstairs for a couple of hours while my heart stopped racing. When I was first diagnosed my heart rate was 220 and I was in Resus for 9hours! I shudder to think what might have happened - but try not to dwell on that too much. I keep telling myself I didn't die and that I will get better. But it was scary.

I have done a bit of housework today and mopped the kitchen floor, but I know I will pay for that tomorrow and probably be feeling really tired and no energy again, but while I felt a bit more human today I thought I'd do something.

I was also told I would be in for the long haul with this. Probably 18 months - 2 years. I hope we don't feel ill all that time! I gave up work on 31st October and was taken ill on 7th November. I lost my Mum suddenly to cancer in July and hadn't been happy at work for about a year. Whether or not that was the trigger I'm not sure. So I'm not even getting sick pay!

Look after yourself and take one day at a time. You'll find you can't plan anything but at least talking to someone else in the same boat might help.

I see you live in Oxfordshire - I'm in Northamptonshire. When we're better we'll hit Biscester!!!!!

Kay

• Posted

Hi

You won't forgett me when you go to Bicester could do with a good day out.

And maybe some nice food too.

Lizzy

• Posted

We could all go out together - can you imagine all three of us having panic attacks together at the same time in the same shop!!!!!

Will have to arrange something.

Kay

• Posted

Hi

Maybe find some jeans that fit too do you have the same problem everythings too big.

I could also hire a twin buggy to push you both round in when your legs get tired, at least i've never had that problem but had most of the other symptoms.

Take care.

Lizzy

• Posted

hi kay & lizzy,i am so glad that i am not alone in all this. yesterday i had quite a good day managed to eat a little without feeling sick. today i dont feel too bad at the moment but, that can change. none of my clothes fit they just hang but im not splashing out as weight will come back .having a day out would be great especially with people who are going through the same so know how you are feeling. i live in banbury about 11 miles from bicester but doesnt matter where . well hope to hear from you both soon . elaine
  • Posted

Hi Elaine and Lizzy,

I live near Kettering. Perhaps send private message about this or else everyone reading our messages! Meeting up might give us something to aim for. No need to wear a red carnation so we recognise each other - we'll be the thin pale ones in the corner!!

I like the idea of a pram Lizzy - a double buggy sounds good!

Kay

• Posted

kay & lizzy,sounds great i could do with a day out . im ready when you are . anyway, hope youve had a good day? mine hasnt been too bad so far but, that could all change tomorrow. i hate the uncertaintity of this illness staying in all day is getting on my nerves now. i know there is a light at the end of the tunnel but its going to be a long haul. well chat later. elaine.
  • Posted

Hi

Look forward to it, I live near Junction 24 of M1 so would need some clear instructions on the meeting place.

I'm dissapointed about not having to wear a red carnation maybe something else like carrying a book or newspaper.

Shall ring the GP in the morning as new meds havn't worked my heart is still racing although i have had one nights sleep and that was shear luxury. Will have to insist on another thyroid test.

If not fit to drive i could use the train.

Its been almost a year since i lost most of my weight and i haven't put any of it back on.

Tell you what, you two decide the meeting place day and time and then let me know the only day that i can't do is a Monday.

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi Elaine and Lizzy,

I live J17 on M1, well, not literally, but that's the A14 and I'm 20 minutes from the M1 - where are you in relation to that Elaine? When I go to IKEA Lizzy, that's J26, and it takes me an hour door to door so you're closer to me than that. I'm happy for you both to come here - I seem to be in the middle. Or we could meet at the Northampton J15 I think. It'll all depend how far you are Elaine.

I've had a good weekend, even did all the meals! I don't want to speak too soon though! Hope you get on ok at the docs tomorrow Lizzy - insist on a thyroid test.

Let me know what you think about meeting up. I can do any day because not working.

Kay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.