Ramipril joint pain side effect

Posted , 33 users are following.

I have been taking Ramipril 10mg for a few months now.

I have experienced the tickly cough, but not often so thats ok, the one problem I'm worried by is joint pain.

I went from 5mg to 7.5mg to 10mg it has been whilst I have been on this higher dose that my arm joint to my shoulder have started to hurt, with sometimes sharp pain, also a sharp pain in the base of my index finger but again very occasionly.

I worry that if I go and talk to my doctor he may try and treat the joint pain with yet another drug which itself might have side effects, and the spiral then goes on into old age.

I am only 51 and will continue to take the medication but will monitor my problems and eventually have a chat with my GP.

If anyone else has had joint pain I'd be interested in their stories.

Cheers

Simon :D

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Simon,

I too have experienced pain in my shoulders and my fingers on an intermittent basis. These are two of several sites where I have experienced pain, with perhaps the biceps and thigh muscles being the worst.

I can already feel a difference after only 2 weeks of being off the drug, but remember that if you have been taking it for a while the cumulative negative effect on the muscles can doubtless take some time to correct itself.

• Posted

Hi, I was interested to read your post. Have been on Ramipril since last October (now 10mg daily)

I recently developed severe shoulder pain moving to top half of arm. Couldn't for the life of me think what I'd done to cause this and then wondered about Ramipril. I also get general aches and pains in elbows/wrists/fingers. I'm only 45 and was reasonably fit and healthy (apart from the high bp) with no aches and pains until now!

Has anyone suffered from indigestion too? This has recently started to bother me intermittently (first of all I just used to get hiccoughs once or twice a day! but now moved onto a slight pain) although once again, never suffered from it in my life before now!

sad

• Posted

Hi Simon

I have the same upper arm and joint pain (shoulder) as you. Going to GP tody to get this checked out again. Sent to physio for joint pain, who said it was frozen shoulder, but pain started in other arm now so cannot be frozen shoulder

• Posted

Hi Brifo

This is interesting, it does seem strange that i never had problems with my shoulders before i took this medicine, but i have been on it on some dosage for sometime so it could be a cumulative effect so just keep monitoring it and if the dose goes up keep looking out for reactions.

I would suggest keeping a diary so at least you can then recall specific instances of pain and desxcriptions of it.

Hope this helps

Simon

• Posted

Bit late in joining this discussion but very interested to see others have had exactly the same side effect. I have been on 10 mg of ramilpril for about 8 weeks. Now suffering from shoulder pain left side, pain in little finger joints on left hand and general muscle ache in both biceps. Never had this trouble before.
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I have been taking Ramapril - a low dose (2.5) for just over a year and steadily I have noticed very stiff joints in my fingers, wrists and ankles. This happens particularly at night so that when I get up in the morning I can hardly pick anything up and I hobble around. However, it goes off quite quickly as I move around. I have also found that it is particularly bad the morning after any alcohol the night before - even one glass of wine which is about all I consume. I had decided that it was to do with alcohol as I kept a diary about it, but perhaps it is the Ramapril. I'd really love to come off of it, particularly as my blood pressure is not that high. I am an active 52 year old.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am 45 year old and Last year Dr. put me on ramilpril 5 mg.

I have observe vertigo problem after 5 months and there after constipation. Left arm shoulder pain come and go. Spicy food convert to high acidity. Once constipation feeling too weak a required table to over come the same.

I am always take medicine morning after breakfast.

confused

• Posted

hi Yogesh, very interesting reading about the shoulder pains.

Been on ramipril following a stroke at xmas however, since about March,

I've had the pains in my left shoulder and bicep.Can't explain why but my  physio therapist can't help ease it and has not mentioned a link    yetknows I'm on ramipril

• Posted

HI,

My imunity was down and could not digest home food. GP put me on Multivitamin for 1 month and then health start imporving. All symptoms gone , However after consultation with GP I hv stopped on Ramipril and now on other tablet.

Good luck

Yogesh

• Posted

Hi Simon,

I've just found your posting after curiousity sent me searching for answers.  I've been taking Ramipril since November 2013 and since March 2014 I've had similar symptoms to the ones you've described - a tickly cough, pain and loss of power in my right arm, anywhere from the shoulder to the wrist and middle finger.  It's worrying as the pain can be quite intense sometimes and I've been in danger of dropping hot cups of coffee or anything slightly heavier through lack of strength. I'm having to compensate with my left arm.  Never had these symptoms before use of the drug. 

I just wondered if you're still taking Ramipril and if your symptoms have continued or worsened in any way.  

• Posted

Hi there,

Interesting conversation.   I am 67 and have been taking many pills and injections for years now.   I have diabetes and blood pressure.   I do believe there is a connection between some pills and side effects.  I have had the arm pains and throat grumps.   Remember different pills act differently on different people and similarly with combinations of drugs, it also takes a while for these drugs to work out of the system and their effects even longer.  I know my GP will hate me for this but if I get side effects I stop one pill at a time for 2 months  and eventually I find out what is the issue.  Remember it may be a combination that effects just you.  Good luck

John

• Posted

Hi Simon H,

No tickling cough till very recently, but my torn rotator cuffs (I am a skier) have actually improved!

But the itching rash has come back a bit (after 2 mos of no problems) and I really think I will ask to switch to the "Sartan family" of drugs - which seem to have far fewer side effects than the dreaded Ramipril.

Good luck!

• Posted

Did you speak to your GP? He might not be even aware of this side effect of ramipril!!! He might require changing medication as you are suffering another side effect as well (tickle cough) of ramipril or else you ask your GP to taper the dose as per the need.
  • Posted

Hi there, have been on Ramipril 1.25mg for about a year and a half. All seemed fine until I knoticed before Christmas '13 my left arm and shoulder were sore. Thought I'd slept badly. Didn't go away and I made app to see GP. Blood tests were done and a 'marker' was noticed - I was referred to rheumatology (app in Sept'14). GP prescribed painkillers and sent me on my merry way. Things got very bad, odema quite bad in lower legs - felt as though skin was about to burst and legs quite swollen. I am only 54!! Researched online and after few months of quite bad pain and bad odema I decided to come off the Ramipril. Within a month the pains in joints are almost non-existent and odema has cleared considerably. I believe that if I'd gone to GP with odema I'd have been prescribed 'watter tablets'. Have app with GP tomorrow morning, going to request different bp med and this evening am going to research options available (diff types bp med available in UK)...am quite shocked that if I hadn't the wherewithall to come off the Ramipril I would now probably be much worse. Sort of luck of the draw...
    • Posted

Hi Rororo42,

Ask your GP about the Sartan family of drugs?

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.