Stopping Bisoprolol Completely 1.25mg

Posted , 35 users are following.

I have been taking Bisoprolol 1.25mg for about 2 months now. I had a heart stent 2.5 months ago and a second one 1 month ago. My echocardiogram is normal.

I have suffered from low blood pressure most of my life and i want to come off the Bisoprolol now, but I am getting no support from my GP or Consutant.

Has anyone else come off Bisoprolol 1.25mg successfully and how did you do it?

2 likes, 82 replies

82 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sharon, 

mine was just halved over a four week period and I was then changed to a drug called Slozem without any problem and none of the awful side effects I had with Bisoprolol. Im sorry to hear you are not getting teh support of your GP or consultant. Personally I would throw my teddy out of the pram and insist they change it. 

• Posted

Hi Andy,

When you say yours was halved over a 4 week period, do you mean you had a 1.25mg tablet every other day, or you managed to cut your 1.25mg tablet in half each day?

I've given up with my GP and Consultant, all they seem to be bothered with is 'ticking the boxes'. But I apreciate your reply to me smile

• Posted

Agree whole-heartedly Andy.  Speak up forcefully, it's the patient's right to have their opinions/complaints listened to.
    • Posted

Hi Sharon, sorry I should clarify, I was originally on 2.5m per day and he changed it to 1.25 for two weeks then yes half a tab for the remaining two weeks apparently this is to guard against the possibility of the withdrawal causing a further heart attack. From what I am reading this is one nasty little drug. I agree with Croydon george whole heartedly and would even go so far as to say change your GP if you can. thats what I have ended up doing
    • Posted

Hi Andy

What sort of side effects fid you get from bisoprolol?

I'm on 1.25mg. I've got hard heartbeat normal bmp

• Posted

Hi Andy

Can you tell me what side effects you had from bisoprolol??

I have hard heartbeat. Normal bmp. And also get breathless on slight exertion.

I was put on it to replace Beta-prograne which was nit goid for me. I was put on Beta-prograne to replace Inderal LA which was very good fir my migraines.

The hard heartbeat started when I was put in Beta-prograne then bisoprolol.

• Posted

I can sympathise with you Sharon.  I started at half-a-1.25mg tab to see if I could tolerate it. OK. Then doubled it for a week and then ramping up until 10mg. I found it impossble to breathe at most times so I complained to my GP and he just stopped it immediately.  Now on Flecainide 50mg twice a day: no problems with this tablet.

If you have a look at the other Bisoprolol discussions you will find a number of most unhappy users.

• Posted

Hi Sharon

I was on 1.25 then 2.5, then 5mg  and then the killer dose for me, 7.5 Bisoprolol over a period of three years with the highest dose for about three months.  This was for paroxysmal atriaI fibrillation.  I subsequently had an emergency when they fitted a pacemaker in hospital and then later ablated the AV node.  Whilst I was on the ward the Consultant came to discuss medication.  I told him that I wanted to come off both the Bisoprolol and Flecainide which I was also taking for two years, just retaining the anti clot drug Pradaxa.  He agreed without demur and I just stopped there and then.  I have had no ill effects whatsoever, gaining in energy and optimism almost daily.  It has been almost three months now since I stopped.

I found the increased Bisoprolol impossible to live with.  The level of fatigue is indescribable and takes all pleasure from life.  Sometimes my blood pressure is a bit up now, but I just measure it daily and take a beta blocker (Valsartan) as I judge it to be necessary.  

Just remember, it is your health and wellbeing and don't let any doctor browbeat you into taking something which makes you feel unwell.  Research and seek an alternative drug if you have to.

• Posted

Hi Sharon I had a By-pas after I was prescribed bisoporol 5mg i got a bad reaction discussed it with my Doctor and got short shrift so I bought myself a blood pressure monitor and by checking regularly I have been able to reduce the dose to1.25 mg I tried not having it at all but my pulse rate shot up so I am back on the 1.25 without any side effects I wish you we'll and hope my experience helps somewhat John
  • Posted

Thank you everyone smile Even without the Bisoprolol and before and after my heart attack, my BP and resting heart rate stays the same at around 111/70 and 72bpm. Even after doing household chores, my HR is only around 100 bps. I monitor it reguarly, so I am hoping that coming off the 1.25mg wont make much difference to my BP an HR, but that I wont get any of the side effects of the drug any more. I have decided to take half a tablet for 4 days and then stop it completely. Wish me luck x
    • Posted

Wondered how you were getting on without the Bisoprolol and did you come off it with your doctor's consent or by yourself?  Are you taking a substitute drug?  Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi there, I was prescribed Bisoprolol 2.5 mg last June, I had a leaky heart valve and my heart rate was very high.  I took it for 6 days together with Furosomide which was also prescribed and had the worst diverticulosis attack I have ever had!  Lost a stone and I immediately came off both tablets. (didn't ask the doctor, just did it!)  Took me weeks to start to feel better but as my heart rate was still high I went back on 1.25 mg but had terrible diarrhoea!!!  So again I stopped it. Have had my valve repaired now and normally they would have put me back on it but I told them I couldn't take it.   There's no way I'd ever take it again, the consultant didn't offer me an alternative but I am now on Ramipril for my high blood pressure and my heart rate has slowed now.  If you are having bad side effects then you should definitely come off this medication, I guess if you have o side effects but want to come off them the docs wouldn't understand why!!!! All the best whatever you decide to do.
  • Posted

I am following anyone who won't take Bisoprolol any more.  I refused this following two failed ablations and then a pacemaker implant when I had an emergency with rapid pulse (flutter).   I just wanted to take my chances without any medication other than anti coagulation and see what happens to me and my cardiologist agreed to this.  From  mid April to the beginning of August I had three blissful months of no symptoms, returning energy, freedom from anxiety and vivid dreams and optimism.  Then I got another AFib which felt as bad as ever and lasted most of a night before reverting on its own.  I was shocked by this as I had been told that although the AFib would not be cured, the symptoms would be much less, not even noticed.  

At a reading of the pacemaker at the clinic, it was noted I had had 73 less than one minute incidents of arrhythmia - so you could say it did work after a fashion as I was not aware of these - but the 'big' one was different.  I eventually took 100 mg Flecainide to calm it and it did settle down.

Now my cardiologist says take one of these anti-arrhythmic Flecainide pills as and when I feel I need to.  No mention of Bisoprolol as my rate is okay so far.  So I am now on a very much wait and see basis.  I am taking careful note of anyone here who has an alternative to Bisoprolol just in case .....

• Posted

Hi Sharon,

I took Bisoprolol for paroxymal AF for a year. The side-effects of the 1.25 dose reduced me to a spaced-out zombie; a condition that crept up on me so gradually, that I foolishly thought them to be 'age'

With my quality of life drastically reduced and in constant fear of the ground coming up to meet my face, I stopped taking them and went back to my GP for further advice.

His reaction was extremely puzzling and somewhat disturbing, as was that of the consultant I saw later.

Both looked right through me when I described the symptoms of side-effects, but

I never restarted the Bisoprolol.

In my case, I sought a second opinion, which resulted in a far better outcome.

If your not being supported by your GP, get pushy for better advice and alternatives...

Best wishes, James

• Posted

Hi James,

Over the last few months I have reduced my medication down to half a tablet of Bisoprolol and half a tablet of aspirin. A week ago I stopped them completely and all of the side effects, including my angina, have now disappeared. I am seeing my consultant on the 12th so watch this space!!

Sharon.

• Posted

Hi Sharon and James.

I've been taking 1.25 bisoprolol a twice daily for two months now because I had afib and since starting then my sleep has been very badly disturbed and I have terrible nightmares and anxiety at night.

I looked up the side effects of bisoprolol and discovered this was a common one.

I've not slept properly now for a few weeks as every night is the same. I am die to see my GP next Monday but I'm so tired and desperate I'm considering stopping them to see what happens.

I hat the side effects from this drug.

I'm also on Apixaban but no side effects from this so far.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I'm due to see my GP next Monday but am desperate and am considering stopping them completely to see if

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.