should i continue taking these

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been taking lofepramine for justover 2 weeks now, my dose has been increased the past week to 140mg a day. I can honestly say i feel totally miserable and even worse than what i was. In the past two years i have been on fluoxetine then effexor now these. the fluoxetine stopped working, the effexor gave me the most dreadful nightmares and sweats now these. I dont know what to do can anyone help me

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been on Lofepramine for 6 weeks now after no joy at all with fluoxetine. The first few days were terrible, anxious and miserable but please stick with them for a while longer. After three weeks they transformed me completely. I feel great on them now and am so pleased I stuck with them. After failing with fluoxetine I didn't think anything would work but these really do.
  • Posted

I've been on and off this drug for years too. I have just started to take it again after a break of almost a year. I'm sure that the doctor told me the first time he perscribed it that sometimes when you first take it you can feel worse but after a few weeks things should improve. I looked for details of this on the medication leaflet but can't find anything. I can't remember what happened the other times I started taking it (nothing significant obviously) but this time I feel dreadful and have spent days lying in bed crying. I felt low before but this is awful. The thing is that I know this drug has worked for me before, so presumably things will improve and this is one of the starting side effects. I think that it just takes a couple of weeks to settle into your system.
  • Posted

Hello there,

from what I've been reading about lofepramine which didn't work for me, (see extreme abnormal reaction) the drug seems to make people feel much worse initially. I am concerned about this as this is not mentioned on the leaflet in the box. I feel this could be very harmful to people who are feeling suicidal or are self harming. I felt like I'd been 'dropped down a well'. There is not enough support for people who are going to have to go through this. The drug seems to level out mood after a period of time but if you are socially isolated coping with this period is really hellish, especially if you are not expecting to go so low.

Maybe filling out a yellow card, a medicines complaint system available from our dr. or pharmacy will put pressure on the drug co. to be more honest about side effects and what to expect. This will warn GP.s to the hell their patients are experiencing and to give them extra medicinal or practical support.

Hope you are feeling better soon, you're not alone although it feels like it...

PoppyX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.