Mirtazapine to Citalopram back to Mirtazapine!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was initially on[b:59ae1c3308] Mirtazapine[/b:59ae1c3308] (30mg) for 8 weeks for depression and anxiety. And I did start to feel better, although the blurry vision and the derealisation side effects started to make me anxious again. I think the light head was the anxiety not the tablets.

Went back to work and made an appointment with the Doctor to see if there was another antidepressant with no side effects as I didn't think the Mirt was working.

He told me how to gradually come off the Mirtazapine and then to start [b:59ae1c3308]Citalopram.[/b:59ae1c3308] Those days copming off the Mirtazapine were fine and the 3 days I took nothing I felt great again! Well what an awful reaction I had to the Citalopram ! Heart thumping, sickness, mind racing, pins and needles, total insomnia for 3 days and the anxiety attacks were awful! I actually phoned NHS Direct.

When I spoke to the Doctor , he said that I had a reaction and the tablets obvousily didn't agree. In a knowing smile, he said that I should perhaps go back on the Mirt and that I came off them too quickly.

I am now on no medication , but can feel the awful anxiety still there fron the Citalopram episode and am wondering if I will slip back to square one again if I don't take anything. The Doctor has given me a prescription for 15mg 1 week and thereafter 30mg. Perhaps the side effects weren't that bad and as the nurse said \" only got bothersome because I was feeling better\".

So I'm thinking that I will go back to the Mirtazapine and perhaps they aren't that bad!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi If I were you and was going back on the Mirt I would start with a realy low dose probably half a 15mg tab as these are not easy to get off of when you have been taking them for a long period of time, I was on 45mg for ages and it has taken months to get back down, I am now on a qtr of a 15mg which has not been to bad untill this weekend when I have had headaches and sicky feelings, I am hoping this is not the Mirt but I suspect it is from reading others experiencies.

As far as I know there is no easy fix for Anxiety and depression, it has taken four and a half years to get where I am now and I am still not entirely free of it.

• Posted

Thanks Colin, I am on 15mg and starting to feel a bit better again.

I hope your feeling better soon, its good to know your not alone.

Do you take any vitamins, I have been reading about Vit B?

Thanks for your comments

• Posted

i have spent 3 months on citalopram, had hardly any sleep,actually chewed holes in my mouth, my doctor has changed me to mirt 30mg.

i am at my wits end now!. i am due to go for counselling on the 21st of this month, beginning to think im not going to make it til then , can't stop crying, and to be honest i just want to end it all sad

• Posted

are you crying becuz of Mirtz or becuz of Citalopram.... and at what dose?
  • Posted

I've been on Prozac for 20 years and had my ups and downs.However for 6 months despite trying different doses(agreed with my Dr) i went from bad to worse and understanding \"Fubars\" feelings.

After various tests my Dr put me om MZ and aonce daily Beta blocker---what a difference--i'm now getting bak to a normal functioning hman being and enjoying lfe.

Actually i'm going on holiday on Saturday,something i could not have

contemplated 2 months ago.

Stick with your Dr and they WILL find the right tablet(s),combination and you can get back to living a happy,fulfilling life with\"controlled\" depression and anxiety.

YOU WILL get there FUBAR,let me know how things progress.

• Posted

Fubar - I know it is hard, I was crying all the time at one point in my depresson. I had no energy and no inclination to do anything. I have a grandson who I adore and I where I used to cherish the time with him it became a huge effort just to pick him up and take him to the park. I almost cried a few time in front of him - I was wondering if I was fit to be around him. He was one of the only things though that stopped me from considering ending it. I am so grateful now - I am almost back to normality I thnk!. Life DOES improve. I used to try and just do one positive thing a day - not always successful and I lost track of the number of days I just wrote off and went back to bed. Mertazapine did help and although I have posted earlier about how hard it is to come off them they helped me through a really bad time. I paid for counselling privately and although it was expensive it did hep although to be honest it took ages for me to realise it was helping. Please hang in there - it will get better eventually.
  • Posted

Fubar , hang in there.

As you read the Doctor put me on citalopram on my request that I change mediaction and I had the worst two nights of my life! The Doctor said that you should not have those type of reactions. Hopefully the Mirt will help you, it has me.

You will get better and as my friend keeps telling me \"Be Kind to Yourself\"

I am currently on 15mg, still have anxiety problems but am able to cope - I think! I am also back at work. I am off for Counselling today with the NHS mental health team - cognitive therapy, my friend said it really helped her and she didn't need the medication.

Its good to know there are others going through this.

Take Care

• Posted

15 mg of what? Everyone on this page is listed as "guest" so i have no idea who is posting what ??? are you on 15mg of Mirtz? and if so how is it working? i am on Celexa (Citalopram) and want to go back to Mirtz... so your answer would be a great help to me.
  • Posted

thanks for the replies everyone.

im so up and down at the moment, only been on mirt for one week now,one minute im crying the next im not!

seem to be starting to get into a normal sleeping pattern, which in a way is helping. not sure i like feeling like a zombie though

oh and im permanently hungry, lost over a stone on citalopram, i can see me putting it back on!

• Posted

What dosage are you at now? how's it working out? any headaches? only reason i switched from MIRTZ ==> CITALOPRAM were the headaches, do they go away? 

CITALOPRAM is making my depression worse !!!!

• Posted

Hi all, have been reading this topic as my partner has been on Ciprilex/Citalopram for 2-3 months and his depression has actually become worse! After much gentle nagging from me, he went back to the doctor and has today been prescribed Mirt to take at night time as well as the Ciprilex which he will take in the mornings. At first I wasn't sure what to think as I had never heard of Mirt (been on Citalopram myself for years) but after reading some positive comments on here I am hoping my partner will start to feel better and back to \"his old self\" very soon.

As for myself, I have been on Citalopram for several years now and have found it has turned my life around...unfortunately it seems most anti-depressants do make you feel quite \"ill\" when you first start to take them, but side effects do tend to wear off after a week or so....so anyone experiencing side effects, give it a few weeks.

• Posted

Have been back on 15mg for 2 weeks (had a week break from mirtazapine to go on to citalopram - bad reaction!) and suddenly the anxiety /panic has been awful ! Doctor , pharmacist said they take 3 weeks to get an improvement and that the low dose was causing this. I took the 30mg last night , feel heavy headed, don't know yet about the anxiety! Anyone else had this? Thanks
  • Posted

Hi All,

Ive just read through your experiences and a question if you wouldnt mind me asking (dont want to jump on your thread)

I have been diagnosed with depression / anxiety today and have been perscribed Mirtazapine. By the sounds of it these will really help me (ive been crying for no reason, and unbelievably scared of...nothing!) but im really concerned about the side effects.

I have to go away with work on tuesday for a really important meeting over 2 days. Whilst i struggle to concentrate at work at the minute anyway due to the anxiety, i am still managing to function whilst im there. As crazy as it sounds, i actually feel a bit better being at work. What i dont want to do is start taking these pills and then become ill or un-able to work / travel.

Would you recommend that i start taking them immediately or wait until i return next week?

Thanks in advance and sorry for jumping on your thread.

I hope you all feel better soon! Never had an idea what people go through with depression until it hit me in the face like a sledge hammer!

• Posted

Hi B12

I also felt better at work (usually). The only thing that you may find is they can make you a bit groggy in the moring. I did adjust after a couple of days; I never actually lost anytime off work because of them although I had plenty of sick days with depression. I think they definately helped me when I was in a bad place; my main problem is now I want to stop them I am having to wean myself off them very very slowly.

From my personal experience; if you start them now you should be adjusted by Tuesday. However, everyone is different and some people here have had very different experiences.

Good luck with whatever you decide and I hope you start to feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.