PH manometry test

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello I am awaiting a 24 hour ph manometry test I feel rather anxious about this test both about the test itself and the results! 

Wondering if I have the test and then the acid results arnt that high will they still operate as I suffer with so many other side effects that really do take it out of me and effects my life I am only 27 and really do feel held back by the hernia 

1 like, 99 replies

99 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Braker87, I don't think that you would have been referred for the PH test unless your GP thought you had a problem bad enough to warrant them doing it, so don't worry yourself about measurements and if it will determine whether they offer surgery or not. Having a hiatus hernia is horrid, painful and whilst not life limiting in a 'fatal diease' sort of way, it does limit what you can and can't do and eat in every day life and can make you tired and irritable.  The test itself is also not something to worry about, if you can cope with the discomfort of the hernia and indegestion/reflux, then the strange feeling that having the test done is a walk in the park. It's not a pleasant thing but by no means painful - more annoying really. I had my tests late last year and my surgery in March this year and just wish I hadn't waited 10 years to have it operated on.  Good luck and keep your chin up x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply and reassurance! My test is booked for early September! How are you getting on

With your recovery? X

• Posted

Hi Sally Ann, after being at the ENT today and being told my throat is still inflamed, I was just wondering a few thing about the test. Firstly, do you know how they decided that you were right for surgery? I've read that you have to keep a diary and that it's whether your diary and the recorded information tally that decides whether you have surgery or not. I would have thought it was more to do with the amount of reflux episodes. What happened in your case? Also, did you treat the test day as a normal day or did you do things that you knew would bring the reflux on? I'm not sure how to go about this test at all! X
  • Posted

i have managed to stop all my indegestion medication now and my asthma has all but disappeared too! Easting for the first 10 weeks was a bit hit and miss but reassurance from my surgeom helped. I was eating sloppy things the first 5 or so weeks (jelly, custard, ice cream - well, you're recovering so i'ts ok to revert to being a 5 year old!) then started to introduce things with a little more substence to them like mashed potato but you really need to guage it yoursels as everyones recovery time will be different. Just take it slow and don't try to force food down before your body tells you it's ok as that can hurt a bit (just like if you swallow a bit of food you haven't chewed enough now) x
    • Posted

You seem to be recovering well which is really good! I've heard the eating bit is the most difficult to get to grips with but as you say I will try to take that as I find it each day at a time I may even loose a pound or two! I am looking forward past the operation to feeling myself again no more pain or discomfort x
  • Posted

Hi breaker!  just to wish you all the best with the tests.  you sound just like me a worrier!  take care.  Val.
  • Posted

I'm waiting for my ph impedance test too ( mines booked for August 14) I'm scared that they may decide I haven't got enough reflux to operate, even though I'm still getting symptoms on all the meds. I'm really desperate to put all this behind me. It's ruining my life. Hopefully it will be ok for both of us. My consultant told me that a normal person refluxes 4% of the time. So I suppose anything over that gives you grounds to request surgery. Also if they expect you to be on your meds for life, then there's grounds there too .
    • Posted

Hi Stella your test is just before mine so please let me know how you get on! Your case and symptoms sound the same as mine and feel like it ruins and limits my life too I know that might be dramatic for some people and it's not a fatal illness but you can't help how you feel can you! I was offered the medication for life also but being young I don't want to take them

Forever so I think for me that the surgery is the best option my gp also agreed! The pain in my ribs is much worse then my acid at the moment do you suffer with that also? X

• Posted

Hi Breaker!  your a lot braver than i am!  I refused to go for the endiscope as i've got a fear of being sick, and have had this since I was a little girl due to something which happened when i was at boarding school, and have never forgotten.  I get a lot of acid reflux, and get so frightened that i'll be sick. also, sometimes, i don't have much of an appitite. Do you experience the same?  Anyway, good luck to both you and Stella, and keep in touch and let me know how it goes.  Val.
    • Posted

I was also so scared for the endoscopy but I had the one where I was sedated which made it easier and more comfortable I am glad I had it done now as they saw damage in my esopigas and that i had an infection in my stomach!! As for the loss of appetite i do get that and at times I get a feeling like something is stuck in my throat which makes it hard to swallow i don't know if you have had that or not but it is horrible x
    • Posted

I get pain just below my ribs - intense stabbing or just burning pain it's awful. The foods I can eat are few and far between. I've lost so much weight since this started. I had. Follow up gastroscopy in April and my oesophagitis had cleared but as soon as I cut back on some of the meds my throat and mouth started burning again. It terrifies me when it happens as I can't predict what's going on. A few months ago the thought of surgery was abhorrent to me, but now I feel it's the only way forward. I'm desperate for it! I want to go back to living my life not waiting for a symptom flare up because I've had a cup of tea at the wrong time sad 

I'll definitely let you know how I get on. How do you feel about stopping the ppis? It's a terrifying thought for me! X

• Posted

Hey Val, the endoscopies are fine- have sedation it makes it all so much easier! I get the loss if appetite thing, especially when swallowing gets difficult ( that's happening at the moment) that's the thing that really freaks me out and depresses me sad I have a fear if vomiting too but the endoscopy doesn't really make you feel like that x
    • Posted

Yea that's the pain I get and at night it's worse also the right side of my ribs is tender to touch also! 

I agree that the surgery is the only way forward I feel it is for me too at first I was terrified but being on here has put my mind at ease and also like you I just want my life back and to be able to eat and drink normally!! 

I have had to stop all my tablets although I appointment is in early September I am top of the cancelation list so If an appointment comes up at any time I will get the appointment so for now i am taking 10+ Gaviscone tablets and the liquid inbetween  which has little effect but it is all I can do for now x

• Posted

That sounds awful! How's your acid been since you stopped your ppis? My consultant said I might be able to do the test and stay on the ppis ( mines an impedance ph test so measures everything that refluxes, not just acid) but to be honest I'm willing to take any test that proves that this problem is not going to be solved by taking tablets. For me the Gaviscon Advance has been a life saver - it's just the double strength alginate, doesn't have any other ingredients but it stops most of the reflux. I take loads of it and I think I'll rely on that to hey me through as you only stop that 24h before the test. It's made me feel better knowing there's someone in the same position who feels the same as me. I'm 48 so twice your age but I have a 2 year old son and would love to share an ice cream with him at some point soon smile  Are you in the UK? 
    • Posted

Yea I'm in the uk in London you? 

To be honest I think I'm so used to the acid and my gaviscone overdose that I just kind of get on with things it's normal to me now which is horrible to say but the acid is worse as is the rib Pain since I have stopped my tablets! 

It's nice knowing that your in my position and also that we have a lot of the same symptoms as me so it's nice I can relate 

• Posted

I'm up in Bolton so at least we can compare notes on the NHS! My consultant seems to think that I have a functional disorder - that I'm hyper sensitive. Thing is, I've had oesophagitis and I've got Barretts and I. Some countries that's enough for surgery. Never thought I'd be pushing for this, never in billion years! Fingers crossed you get your cancellation soon x 
    • Posted

I never thought my symptoms would be this either as I have had them for around three years but finally got a referral to a private hospital that takes nhs patients so I must admit apart from the long wait for the ph test I have had quick results now like I said earlier I am just scared the results of the test will say no operation I think you need to carry on pushing as hard as you can as you need this x
    • Posted

Definitely agree. My symptoms only started last November but by Feb I had grade 2 oesophagitis and Barretts. I had to fight to get my first endoscopy as my gp said I was asking for tests that would come back negative. I had gastritis too. I had to ask and ask to get a gastro referral and finally got referred from the ENT consultant who I was originally seeing for the lump in my throat. I used to wake up heaving in the middle of the night. I could feel the acid coming right up into my throat when I lay down and it burnt horribly, but you are right, you get used to it. I truly believed it was all in my head til the results of the endoscopy came back - ironically I was feeling better by then, so god knows what they would have found when I felt at my worst! The gastro docs don't know any of this as they never saw me at that time. 

The swallowing thing is the worst. I hate that sensation! Just had my tea and dread thinking about swallowing before I eat. I'm going to call the hospital where the impedance test is to be performed on Monday and find out whether I have to stop ppis or not. My plan is to make myself reflux as much as poss over that 24hrs - tight pants, lying down after eating, loads of cups of tea, you name it I'm going to do it!

• Posted

Great minds think alike as I am going to do the same so your have to give me some tips once you have hAd yours! 

I had gastritis two it didn't clear the first time thou so I had a double dose of the medicine for that! 

• Posted

Sorry I pressed send mid convo!! 

Yea I dread eating with that feeling in my throat as it's almost like you are going to choke even if drinking water! 

Yea you should call and see what they say I was told to stop them as my test is the 24 hour one they put the tubes in and send you home with the machine with tubes coming from your nose I am dreading this 

• Posted

That sounds really frightening!  Good luck you very brave girl!  ValHi Breaker!

• Posted

The test I'm having is basically the same it just picks up everything that comes up whether it's acid or not. I think they chose it as I'm having problems even on the ppis ( I was on 80mg Esomeprazole a day at one point and still having problems). I had to check and double check it was the right test tho as I think it's not just acid that's my problem but whatever else comes up. It's basically the same test just a different probe. I've had two laryngoscopes - they go up your nose and down your throat and they do that without any spray or anything and it's not too bad. You retch a bit but it soon stops. It's easier than the endoscopy so I'm hoping it's going to be like that. The thought of having something dangling there all day and all night is horrible though! I was thinking what if food gets stuck on it? What if I pull it out accidentally? What if my son pulls it out? etc etc . I know from the leaflet I've had that it takes 45 mins to put it in and 5 mins to get it out! I think the manometry bit is where they check on the strength of your stomach valve, this also let's them know where to position the probe. So it's two tubes really. I'm sure we will manage. All I've heard is it's uncomfortable. So 24 hours of discomfort - got to be worth it! X
    • Posted

You never know we may end up having the test on the same day if you get a cancellation, we can keep each other going with the nose tubes and self induced reflux! X
    • Posted

Yea I also was worried about the tube getting pulled out or things being visible also I find tubes and stuff a bit weird and can freak me out but hopefully we will both be ok and have a smooth time with the tubes! 

The same day would be great we could corrupt the test together!! 

I wondered how they would check your stomach strength as I was told mine us very bad and the the valve in my stomach is virtully useless and also my Esopigious is damaged also x

• Posted

I think they put a tube in then pull it out to see what the pressure is ( not sure how they do that) that's the manometry bit. I'm really down this morning as sore throat is back and also sore mouth. Just waiting for the burning to begin now. So depressing.  I'm definitely corrupting this test! Like you I keep imagining going back to the doc and being told I'm not refluxing enough. I'm going to try and find out as much as I can in order to do the test properly. ( by that I mean get me at my worst) . Now just got to get this burning under control. Does your mouth get affected? That's the worst bit for me sad x
    • Posted

Morning how is your mouth now? Is there anything that gives you relief for that? I would say the worst part for me is the pain in my ribs it's constant and keeps me awake at night I cannot wear any high waisted clothing as this seems to make it even worse and the area is also tender when I touch it! 

I also wake with the sore throat most mornings and sometimes my voice is raspy too it's horrible but does pass after a while 

Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.