candesartan and tingly fingertips/ pins and needles.

Posted , 4 users are following.

As well as being tired, overweight , coughing and depressed since taking this drug I have now developed pain and tingling in the middle three fingers of each hand.This is the drug which has had the least side effects so am running out of options. Has anyone else experienced similar/ same symptoms?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh Jenny you sound just like me in "running out of options", plus the options are reduced anyway for me because of having reduced kidney function and having to be careful with choice of pills.  I've been on Losartan for the last few months (same family as Candesartan) but now have a strangely swollen red and painful toe for the last month.  Don't think it's related to the Losartan as it arrived immediately on stopping the Diltiazem which had caused my lower legs to get very swollen, red and inflamed, so I think the Diltiazem has caused whatever has happened in my toe.  A consultant has confirmed it isn't an infection (GP had treated me with antibiotics to no avail!!!), and it isn't gout, so is arranging for an ultrasound scan of my arteries. The consultant who is treating my BP had wanted to add a diuretic to the Diltiazem/Losartan combination to counteract the swelling caused by the Diltiazem but I wasn't happy with that and pleaded to be taken off the Diltiazem.  However, he has still prescribed the diuretic, Indapamide, saying it will help to reduce my BP.  I'm not starting it until after my holiday because of the risk of potential side effects, so hope my BP won't go into overdrive on just the Losartan. 

My pharmacist has said that Losartan is the drug that he hears the least complaints about from his patients so perhaps that is worth a try for you if you do decided to stop the Candesartan.  I certainly don't have either a cough or suffer depression on Losartan, and I'm no more tired than normal!!!

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear about your toe and hope you get some closure for it.

I have just weighed myself 11 stone and not even 5 foot tall. In the  last year I have put on over a stone despite doing everything in the house, garden,walking everywhere( no transport),  cooking and cleaning, washing etc as well as looking after y 93 year old husband with Alzheimer's full time.I am 80 by the way. No wonder I am tired, but still no weight loss!

Last year I was size 14 now between 18 and 20 largely due to bloating over my stomach. No one seems very concerned, as long as I can walk and look after Fred they let me get on with it. I had to beg to come off the diuretic as it made me so depressed and reduced my BP so much could hardly function. This in spite of the fact thart I have been told several times my kidney function is very poor I was still put on it in February until June. Now of course the BP is going up fast again so I wonder what is next!

My GP is lovely, but I am known as one of the difficult ones for BP in the practice, I hate going down there for anything and am reluctant to try new drugs like you as no one ever mentions side effects. It took the pharmacist to ask if I was ok on Bendro as I remarked that I felt so sick and giddy and he picked it up.

Let me know how you get on and good luck with your toe.

Jenny

• Posted

I've started Candesartan 4 months ago.  No tinglies though.  Have you tried Valsartan?
    • Posted

The factory producing valsartan closed down that's how I ended up on this candesartan which causes bloating and aggravates arthritis so have to take pain killer, thinking of coming off all together.
    • Posted

Just replied to the wrong post!  :-(    That's how I changed to Candesartan, but no side effects for me.  It was Amlopidine that produced those.  I'm not taking that now.
  • Posted

Sorry I forgot these drugs behave like the awful statins by attacking your muscles.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. The trouble is that no one really wants to know how these drugs affect our lives so long as they keep the BP down. I will certainly follow this up, but wish I could do so without waiting three weeks for a GP appointment!

Jenny

• Posted

Certainly more tired than normal , some tingling but more of two other symptoms. Mainly muscle pain in right arm and let plus  red rash on both arms ( inside ). I tend to live with it as it is manageable .
  • Posted

Same here, Jenny - Valsartan supply stopped and changed to Candesartan.  But no sysmptoms like you've been experiencing.  Until recently I did circuit training twice a week and felt great.  Had to stop, but am starting again next week.  Sorry to hear about the side effects you're experiencing, though.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.