My colonoscopy

Posted , 8 users are following.

2days ago I went for my colonoscopy.  I went in nervous, but expecting pain but would be ok.  Talk about rush job.  They no sooner put the needle in my hand,  administered tha sedative then they was doing the procedure.  I have never ever experienced pain like it, even my natural childbirth was a walk in the park compared to this.  I was not given any pain relieve, not even entinox, I asked them to stop for a minute, they dud then carried on.  I heard them say I had gone pale, and was sweating so they stopped. They then bunged  me on trolley for 5 mins on my side, got me dressed, had quick drink And was out.  I felt like a piece of meat on a conveyer belt.  Other than to give birth to my son I have never been in hospital before, and the colonoscopy will be my last.  I feel traumatised with the amount of pain I endured. I was so relieved when I read on here loads of people with pain relief and wasn't that bad, but unfortunately that wasn't my experience. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear that, doesn't sound good at all - were they able to complete the procedure?  
  • Posted

I was told no, but they took 2 biopsy so if they say I need another it's a no go from me
  • Posted

Big hug. Please consider other options though if you do need another one, hopefully you will not.  Explain this to the consultant and also consider writing in to feedback your experience hopefully can help someone else.
  • Posted

Yea Thankyou sabrina, not sure what my options are, as at the clinic when I said then that I was reluctant to have it, they said they couldn't do any other test that would show up what they was looking for.
  • Posted

Poor you but one of many. I really think they need to comeup with a solution for this problem because like you there are many that wwon't entertain the procedure again which is very scary considering someone life could be at risk.
  • Posted

I totally agree bans, I think personally they should fully sedate you, it's the 21st century, why should we be in pain in this day and age, there is no need Nhs or not, people are not a number or statistic, we have feelings and feel pain
  • Posted

I had a similar experience though I was given pain relief ( which didnt work) I can't imagine what you must have gone through without it! I know when I came back on the ward even the nurses were saying I looked terrible! They really do need to address this problem. I would consider asking for general anaesthetic next time. I think that's what the consultant has in mind for me, though I do worry that might be a green card for him to be even more rough! 
  • Posted

I don't think my hospital offers general anaesthetic, it's tough in their eyes get on with it is what I was told but if I had of being offered a general I would have had that for definate
  • Posted

Yes I'm in the uk
    • Posted

If you have a review ( which you should as they couldn't complete) ask to have it done under general. They should do that. I've got my review next Wednesday. Following mine I was in agony for a whole week. It all depends who's 'driving' the first one I had was fine 
  • Posted

Hi melanie..my experience was diabolicle..I have a colonoscopy every year unfortuneately...I have polyps removed every time but last august whilst i was haveing my colonoscopy at one point i was screaming for them to stop and they didnt i screamed out again and she stopped. after she told me that the polyp was to far into the bowel wall thats why i was in discomfort...and that i would get an ap through to see the dr..i saw the dr 2 weeks ago and i told him that theres no way im haveing it done again when no ones listening to me while im haveing it done..i said when i ask someone to stop i expect them to stop..hes made a note of it i also told him that if this next one is as bad as last august im not haveing anymore.I said with the drugs that i had and gas and air i couldnt exactly get up of the table i felt i had no control over the situation..I was crying for weeks after and the thought of the next one scares me i really dont want to go....
  • Posted

I wouldn't mind I'm agoraphobic and asked if my son could be with me, up until the procedure they said no because other women being undressed, when I got there I was out into a little room sat waiting by myself then they called me in for the procedure, nobody about just me so I don't understand why I couldn't have support there

• Posted

I wouldn't mind I'm agoraphobic and asked if my son could be with me, up until the procedure they said no because other women being undressed, when I got there I was out into a little room sat waiting by myself then they called me in for the procedure, nobody about just me so I don't understand why I couldn't have support there

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I can so relate to this, I also felt that they wasn't listening, and yes you are totally helpless laying there half sedated.  I have to admit I feel very tearful, I feel violated the way they have treat me with the pain as well, I think they don't listen because it's not happening to them is it, maybe they should experience it to understand and sympathise with the patients.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.