suffering with HSP

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was diagnosed with henoch-schonlein purpura (HSP) in March 2014.  It started off with little red spots appearing on my legs and tummy, and with working in a nursery I assumed it was just chicken pox.  The next day I went to see my local GP to be told it was just an allergic reaction and was given hydrocortisone cream and anti-histamines to take to relief the itch.  By the time I got home from the GP the rash was now, everywhere! And putting the cream on it felt like my skin was literally on fire! Come that night my knees and ankles were swollen and all my joints were in agony! I returned to the GP the following day who then sent me to the local A&E to get bloods checked.  I was then admitted to the hospital overnight where I seen Dermatology and the Renal unit as there were abnormalities with my Kidney Function in my blood tests and Dermatology performed a biopsy to get a definite diagnosis of HSP.  I was then discharged with loads of lotions and potions for my skin and told I would be fine within a week.  2 days after being discharged I started being sick constantly, I couldn’t even hold down a sip of water and I had an excruciating pain in my stomach! I ended up back in the hospital, this time with abnormalities in my liver and my rash began to turn into open sores which meant I had to be put on steroids to take down the inflammation on the skin and to help with my liver.  After a week of being in the hospital I got discharged again, even though I was still being sick and couldn’t hold a thing down! After only just a day of being at home, things seemed to go from bad to worse! I literally could not move with the pain in my back and abdomen, and was still being sick, so I got taken up to the hospital again.  This time, I was admitted to a surgical ward as they thought it could be ‘intercusseption’ which apparently is pretty common in HSP.  With HSP being more common in children, nobody was able to give myself or my parents any answers as to when this was all going to stop, it was a nightmare! My mum ended up getting more information from sites like this, than from the doctors! At this point we came to realise we were just going to have to take it as it comes and deal with things as they cropped up.  On further investigation by the Surgical team from this hospital admission they realised I had inflammation of the small bowel and pancreatitis which explained why I was in so much pain! As everything on the inside was getting worse, so was everything on the outside! My hands began to swell to the extent  of I couldn’t even pick up tablets to take them and I struggled to walk my ankles had swollen so much! The rash also got worse and I ended up having to wear bandages everywhere and was basically, well, mummified! With my bowel being inflamed, it caused me to bleed, a lot! One minute id be fine and the next id be covered in blood, jammies, bedsheets, the lot! For an 18 year old, this was pretty hard to deal with, I felt like I was a fit and healthy teenager trapped inside an elderly persons body, I was just so weak and couldn’t do anything for myself! This went on for 2 weeks straight, and the pain was unbearable, morphine was definitely a life saver!  Things finally settled down and I was able to eat again and eventually got discharged.  However, this was far from the end! At an outpatients appointment to the Renal Unit we discovered my protein levels were up at 250 instead of being between 30 and 50 and my blood was sitting at 3+++  in my urine! I got started on a higher dose of steroids as they assumed it was just inflammation of my kidneys and hoped for the best.  2 months on and I am still on steroids and have lasting scars on my legs, so much so I refuse to wear my little dresses and shorts for going out in the sun! I am still unable to work as the steroids suppress the immune system even more and I am still in a lot of pain with the lasting problems with my kidneys! I have written my story as I felt that when I was dealing with everything, nobody, not even doctors had the answers as to what was going to go wrong next, simply because HSP isn’t common in Adults.  I hope this story helps and gives someone the guidance that I didn’t really have while I was ill.  

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Beth

Wow that is quite a story ! My 12 year old daughter is at week 10 of HSP and I thought she had a difficult ride but realising now nothing compared to yours. I totally get from a parents point of view that your parents have been constantly looking for answers, I can relate to that being up until all hours looking for a potion or doctor that may help as you feel so helpless. 

You are right thou the more people that put their own journeys on these sites the more knowledge and maybe even comfort at those lonely desperate times people can take. 

Unfortunately it seems the older you get HSP the more troublesome it is. 

Like I said my daughter is 12 but my 3 year old niece also has HSP and is 3 weeks ahead of  my daughter but her experience is nothing like my daughters and in fact luckily she is now doing very well whereas my daughter is shall we say ongoing and hasn't turned a corner yet. 

I really hope things improve for you soon, I thought I would reply even if it's to say that someone is  here listening. 

Also have you looked at the www.vasculitis.org.uk website ?

Patient Moderator Note: I have removed an URL (a link) from this reply as it was unsuitable for inclusion within these forums however I have provided a suitable replacement. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Posted

Hi Kelly! 

Sorry to hear that your daughter is having a rough time of it too, but hopefully the end is in sight! We found that this website and reading people's experiences helped us a lot and gave us some answers! The best thing I found for my rash was simply, Vaseline! It took the itch right out and seemed to sooth the burning feeling I had. We were also told that it is worse the older you get it, but fingers crossed your daughter has no lasting problems and makes a full recovery. 

• Posted

Hi Beth

That's all we can do is hope tomorrow is a better day as each day can be so very different. 

I hope your recovery continues good luck 

Kelly

• Posted

Hi Kelly, my daughters dad apparently had it aged 8. It attacked his muscles and he was very ill. He took 18 months to recover but it has never returned, he is now 50. It seems the younger you are the quicker you recover. Take care of yourself too I know I have ups and downs, anger, helplessness, guilt and grief I suppose. It is a horrible illness and the not knowing is the worst. I expect like me you would swop places with her. All we can do is support and love them.
    • Posted

Hi Nancy sorry to hear about your daughter and you bet I would swop with my daughter in a blink. It is so hard when they look at you for the answers when things are tough and painful and as parents we are used to being able to fix problems but with HSP I feel helpless which as you said leads you to feel all the other emotions. I tend to hold it together at home and my workplace is a place for me to have a moment or two ! 

Rebecca is now into week 22 and whilst on the whole things are better she has had a bit of a tough week this week and has had to have a day off school due to a flare.  Rash has gone but skin still marks on flare ups, ongoing joint pain which is her main symptom now. I still dip her urine daily which is usually 1+ protein and 3+ blood and her urine is tested fortnightly for the consultant. She hasn't had any medication at all for HSP although her consultant is recommending for her tonsils to be removed. 

I know this question is a bit personal but Rebecca's latest flare is to do with her hormonal monthlys I just wonder does your daughter suffer worse at these times ? 

I wish your daughter much love and strength for you both. 

• Posted

I am not sure, my daughter is now 18. I will ask her. She went off to Uni on 20 th September. She looked well on Tuesday when I was with her but earlier today not so good on FaceTime. She had her first and mild flair of the rash at end of Dec early Jan and had the contraception implant mid to end of Jan, then it flailed after. I learned from this site some think there is a link with contraception, if so perhaps that could include menstrual cycle too. I will ask her next time I FaceTime her. When she is bad it is flu like symptoms, joint pain and recently anaemia. The consultant said the rash appears a visual sign the hsp is attacking internally and impossible to know where. Her rash sometimes is just her shins, others all over her legs, arms and once slightly on her stomach. Today she has told me of 2 days severe stomach pain. I have asked her to talk to the consultant about the implant. She will be getting telephone appointments with the consultant every month and face to face during holidays. The consultants are good but they are renal not hsp. There does not seem any hsp consultants so perhaps that's why they can't answer wider questions. I will post again after I speak to her next. 
  • Posted

hi beth i also suffered with HSP last august 2014. i just have a question does the rashes will eventually remove? coz i really miss the smoothness of my legs. now i have a lot of rashes they are fading but if i ate something rashes is coming out again.
    • Posted

Jhoana, the rash comes and goes. No obvious reason we have seen except suspicion that the more physically active you are, especially in the evening the worse it is. The medics advised to rest the legs with feet raised up. 
  • Posted

Hi Beth, my heart goes out to you and your Mum. My daughter then 17 now 18 Was diagnosed about the same time. It started mildly in January but by March she was at the renal dept with nephritis, kidney inflammation. She has been very I'll at times and they want to start steroids with her too. We worked hard on kidney friendly diet and it seems to help, but can't be sure. I am  focussing on what might be aggravating the hsp and at the moment targeting insect bites. Do you think you have an idea what might have started yours. It sounds as if yours has been worse. Take care and hope things get better for you.
  • Posted

Dear Beth,

My daughter was diagnosed with HSP in July of 2014, though her symptoms began in March of 2014. 

Do you still have underlying problems from this disease? If so what are they? Can anyone reading this say they have had or seen this disease last for two years and what affects were they having? My daughter still has loss of appetite or difficulty eating certain foods as they upset her stomach. please give me feed back. By the way I sure hope your feeling better Beth! 

• Posted

Hi,

I'm not the original person you replied to but thought I'd just share my experience. My HSP has been going on for five years now. The long term damage can often relate to kidneys. My doctors kept putting off doing a kidney biopsy because my blood tests were normal. I recently changed to a new doctor and he was horrified my kidneys hadn't been properly checked. Turns out I've got 10% unrecoverable kidney damage. I'm now on medication to help my kidneys and they will be biopsied again in a year to see how the damage has progressed. So if the HSP is going on long-term, please make sure someone is checking her kidneys. They can suffer a lot of damage before there are any symptoms.

• Posted

Hi, my son is 4yrs old we are only in wk3 of him having hsp, 1 day he seems to pick up the next he is off his feet stomach cramps and being sick, even though I know what it is I am a nervous wreck I cannot see an end to this. 
  • Posted

Hi all,

I'm so glad I stumbled across this forum as I feel like I am going crazy! It's so nice to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel and what my daughter is going through is "normal" (or as normal as HSP can be!)

My 7 years old daughter was diagnosed with HSP 3 weeks ago and it's been a steep learning curve. She is due to go back to school on Tuesday but I really don't know what to do. Just like you've all described, one day she is fine and the next she is covered in an angry rash and her joints are inflamed. What would you recommend about school? I am so worried she is going to miss a lot of school and fall behind. The nurse was no use at her last check up and told me to speak to the school. I just worry they'll say for her to come in as they don't understand the condition. Luckily, I teach at her school so I can supervise her inside at playtime so she is not running around.

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm just at my wits end!

• Posted

Hi, I'm sending my son to school, I think he needs normality, I will spk to his teachers to explain what he's got, but like you my nurse was useless I felt I was telling her about hsp not her advising me.  It's been an awful n very worrying time like you say, is there a light at the end of the tunnel, I've learnt to try n take 1 day at a time.  I feel I have found a lot of my advice from the Internet, I was so glad when I found this page.  It's nice to know you are not alone xx
  • Posted

Beth, I am so sorry to read your story...how absolutely horrific for you....but thank you so much for sharing it as it is really helpful to hear directly from an adult patient. My daughter has had HSP for about 15 minths and her bowel and lymph glands are very inflammed and painful. School before easter was justnot possible but actually just living has been awful for her as a 12 year old who turned 13 and had hormones and changes to deal with too. We absolutely live day to day...but sport, school camp are all out of the question for her...which is devastating to her.

We both wish you a speedy recovery so you can get back to your life.

X steph

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.