tramadol for sleep? please help

Posted , 15 users are following.

So I have been given a couple tablets of tramadol to help me sleep? Do they work? Will it help? 

I have probably only had about 6 hours sleep in about a week. I suffer with anxiety and am also on sertraline to control this.

Any help or advice will be appreciated

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Was that recommended by a physician? I would not prescribe tramadol, or any pain medication, for sleep. (I am not a physician.) It interferes with my sleep, but your milage may vary. In your case I would recommend a benzodiazapine, like triazolam (Halcion). Talk to your doctor.
  • Posted

I take it every day for nerve pain together with one 10mg amitriptyline and believe me I sleep olympic gold medal class. Be careful, it is addictive and can be a right pain to get unaddicted from, but every benefit comes with a down side, you just have to weigh the pro's and con's.
    • Posted

Hi Steve

I was told I shouldnt take Amitriptyline , even 10 mgs, with Tramadol. They can cause a serious interaction. What do you knoe about this, What do you take your meds for? I get neuropathic pain, from small fiber neuropathy and it didnt help me. How much Tamadol do you take with the Ami? I am afraid to take the Tramadol everyday bc I do not want to become addicted to it. I take Lyrica with the Tramadol and its not working..Thanks in advance

Marie

• Posted

Hi Marie,

My Doctor prescribed 20mg of Amitriptyline to be taken at night, for nerve condition pain, which was keeping me awake at nights. I was basically watching hours tick by, which seemed to really drag. Then I was put on 50mg of Tramadol as well at night's, it did take awhile before the effects to actually 'kick in'. After 2 weeks the Tramadol was upped to 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night, this was to ease the pain I am constantly in from nerve and muscle spasms.

Now, what may seem strange is that I am now taking Amitriptyline and Tramadol even though I suffer from Epilepsy, both of these medications can bring on Epileptic Seizures. I have to take numerous medication a day, but I have to Tramadol 30 minutes either side of any other medication, the reason for this is because of the side-effects Tramadol may cause, most of them are down to what other medications you already take. There is a ratio of 10:1 that Tramadol will increase side-effects from other medication, which is why you should never take them together with any other medication. I did not know this and felt nausea the first time I took one, the other thing is to try and keep the dosage as low as possible, I take 100mg a day, as long as I can stand the pain level and get some sleep I am fine. I have tried taking 50mg of Tramadol but I cannot handle the pain. 

I suffer from Generalized Dystonia, Functional Episodes and Epilepsy and have to take 25 tablets a day, only one of which is used to counteract side-effects from another tablet. I have to take them throughout the day at 6 intervals.

The only reason you were probably told not to take Amitriptyline with Tramadol is side-effects. Amitriptyline can cause side effects on their own, so I took these for 2 weeks starting at 10mg on week 1 and 20mg on week 2. Tramadol I started on week 3 with 50mg and week 4 on to 100mg. Weening yourself on to various dosages is better than trying to take large dosages at once, the same applies when coming off any medication.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Tanya

I have to agree with thebird55. I would like to know who prescribed that for sleeping. I find Tramadol keeps me up. Its usually not given for sleeping. You may want to ask your Doc for something else,Tramadol is for pain. Try natural remedies before gettn your yourself addicted to Tramadol or benzos. I hear that they are horrible to get off of.  

• Posted

I suffer with post herpetic neuralgia and take up to 2X50 mg Tramadol per day as and when needed and one 10 mg Amitriptyline at night. The only reactions I get are a dulling of the pain and a good nights kip.

I also suffer with Poly Myalgia Rhumatica and I take Steroids for thattogether with various vitamin and mineral concoctions.  Everything seems to work together.

This was all prescribed for me by my GP. I was warned by the doom merchants that I would probably die or at best be seriously ill, but I was already seriously illand believe me when I tell you that suffering the sort of pain I was experiencing I would have considered anything worth taking. Well, it turns out that my Doctor knew what he was doing.

Also, it may interest you to know that if I don't take Tramadol the only withdrawal effects I suffer is the nerve pain caused by PHN. and an ordinary nights kip.

Insomnia is a terrible affliction ( my wife suffered for years) and the worry just makes it worse. Sometimes caused by a chemical inballance in the brain and given the handle of clinical depresion (not morbid depresion) but the lack of sleep does make you depressed.  Your doctor will be able to prescribe the necessaries for you so my advice to you is see your doctor and listen to and take his/hers advice, they are well trained and usualy very careful about what they will and will not prescribe.

• Posted

No, no, no and NO. It's not worth it. These are not sleep aides. Find another way. Take a herbal remedy, Kalms, Passiflora, Valerian or Nytol ( check with your pharmacist first for contraindications with your other meds),yoga or tai chi will help you to relax. Try a gentle evening stroll. Get a bedtime routine. I have a soak in a warm(not hot) bath with a lavender burner lit and only candles for illumination. Whilst there it relax my breathing and allow myself to unwind. Then I wrap up in a warm towel to dry off, then into my nightdress and off to bed. I read ( nothing scary or too intense) for about 1/2 hour then it's lights out. I always have my relaxation sounds going on repeat all night, my favourite is Peter Samuels, Thunderstorms, and that's what I do every night. 

I also have my room cool and blackout blinds plus blackout lined curtains. 

Find a routine that works for you. Trammadol is so not the answer.

Hope you get something sorted. 

Be well 

Stephanie x

• Posted

Of course not. If you've tried everything. Go to your GP and ask for help. Explain everything carefully but if your not happy with their suggestions try a different Dr. 

Maybe you could have a sleep assessment in a sleep clinic. I did turned out most of my problems were caused by a problem with my nose stopping m getting adequate air flow so consequently I was never able tot get into deep sleep and so was knackerd. All the time. Surgery was not a viable option so I took to natural healing and it's worked eventually. 

However you need help now. So go to your GP and take it from there.  Just research everything you can about any drugs he may prescribe so you're fully informed before taking the. Your pharmacist will be more than happy to go over you meds with you. 

Good luck Tanya

Be well and rest well x

• Posted

As I said earlier, my wife suffered for years with insomnia. It started suddenly and for no apparent reason.At one stage she had NO sleep for over a week although everyone said that was not possible. Everything was tried from herbal remedies to walking the streets at unearthly hours. It got to a point where suicide was seriously considered (by her).

I called the doctor out one night and surprisingly he agreed to come, gave her an injection and made an appointment for the following morning.

It's a chemical inballance in the brain and was sort of adjusted with the use of tablets. Not a perfect solution and one that comes with its own problems, like getting off them when things get better, but, the pros and cons were weighed and pill induced sleep seemed far superior to no sleep. It started with a very mild medicine that didn't do a lot and worked up to an effective solution. Your doctor can help you with this problem but it may well take several visits to get the right remedy so don't expect an immediate cure.

Herbal remedies may work for some but I've not met anybody with a serious sleep problem who has found much benefit from them.  Bearing in mind that such things as opiates and canabis are herbal and very addictive, the "active ingredients" of some of the more exotic herbs are unknown and untested.

Don't try drinking yourself to sleep because it doesn't work and makes you ill.

• Posted

Your wife sounds just like me.. ive suffered with chronic insomnia for 25yrs.. gave into Sleeping Pills, 18yrs ago.. to get some sleep..Tried all types..Doctor  wants me off them..gave me Quietpine.. thinking that would do the trick.. but with half a Halcion Pill works better.. No sleeping pill.. No sleep..Gotta take a Pill to get to sleep.. Isnt that awful.. Sleep should be the most natural thing..But for ME its not.. My question what  tablet did the doctor give your wife ?  Might be better than what I take..
  • Posted

Ps I notice that difficulty sleeping is the top of the list of most coo on side effects of Sertraline maybe you need to consider changing this to something else. Just a thought hon xx

Be well and rest well x

• Posted

I have found they cause me to sleep during the day at random times.

i tried to stop last Friday  as sleep can be 5m 10 m 30m a few hourse even

luckily i am retired other wise My dr this morning said they suit my pain but just 2 each  night. I asked for another type of pain pill he said these suit me despite the sleep several times a day  with head aches

hospital dr has referred me to respratory clinic and sleep clinic

all bad GRRR STAY AWAY FROM THEM

• Posted

Hi Tanya42521,

I take Tramadol, only small does though but not for sleep - my consultant prescribed them for pain relief in my shoulder. When I say small doses I mean I can somtimes get away with just 50mg at night, however some days I am in a lot of pain when I wake up, so I take 50mg in the morning - I follow the instructions from GP and only take them when required and at least 12 hours apart.

You mentioned your sleep pattern, I had the exact same problem and I was prescribed Amitriptyline for pain relief and sleep. I noticed a few people have mentioned there can be a reaction between Amitriptyline and Tramadol. I, personally have not noticed anything different apart from I get a good night's sleep with just 1 x Tramadol 50mg and 2 Amitriptyline.

The problem I have is I cannot take any painkillers with codeine, which causes bowel problems from surgery I had a few years ago.

• Posted

Hi Les

I take Tramadol for Neuropathic pain, nerve pain is difficult to treat. I also take small doses, 50mgs, sometimes twice a day. It doesnt help much for my pain. My Doctor said not to take Amitriptyline with Tramadol. I tried taking Amitriptyline ,10 mgs at night for the sleeping affects. Sometimes the Amitriptyline would give me chest pain, and at night after taking it I would feel skipped heart beats. Do/did you have any of these side effects with the  Amitriptyline? Seems I couldnt get any higher then10mgs. I wanted to give it a try for its pain killer effects, but was told to stop it. Thats when I started Tramadol. Dont want to go higher on the tramadol if it doesnt help. Im afraid of gettn addicted to it and dont want to have a bad withdrawal. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Marie

• Posted

At less that 100mg @ day, I think it's safe to stay on it for a while. How long have you been on it? You may find that it actually gets more effective after you've been on it a while. When I first took it, it didn't seen to have any effect at all on pain. And the only side effects were associated mostly with it wearing off. (A little "skin crawling", light itching, and insomnia.) I seldom take it any more (due to unpleasant side effects), but it does work on pain a lot better now. My theory is that my body has "learned" how to better metabolize it. (It is it's metabolites that kill pain, not the drug you swallow.)
    • Posted

Hi les. Sorry your suffering. I have a friend with  neuropathic pain and she takes gabapentin. Have you tried that. Also my mum takes progabalin for her neuropathic pain 

be well 

Stephanie

• Posted

Hi marie,

The way I was introduced to Amitriptyline was to take one 10mg at night for 2 weeks, then increase this dosage to 20mg after 2 weeks. Basically, it was used to lower the pain and aid a better sleep routine. Now this was for pain in my neck muscles, which are always pulling to the left.

Every 3 months I have Botox injected in both sides of the neck and my shoulder. The trouble with Botox is it takes roughly 1-2 weeks before you feel any benefit at all, then it starts to where off after about 7-8 weeks. So, basically for the 3 month Botox injection, you only feel any benefit for about 8 weeks maximum.

So, during this period I also have to rely on Tramadol at 50mg every 12 hours to effectively take the sharpness of the pain in the shoulder mostly.

All of the above I take for Generalized Dystonia, and on top of all that I am also taking Madopar 4 times a day, Artane once a day and Clonazapam twice a day.

I have tried medications like Baclofen and Orphenadrine, but these had little effect.

What makes it worse in my case is I also suffer from Epliepsy and Functional Episodes, therefore I am on quite a dosage of Epilim. And if you look at side effects from Amitriptyline and Tramadol, you will see these medications can cause seizures, so at the moment I am being closely monitored by my Consultant Neurologist, Epilepsy Nurse and my own doctor.

At the moment I am coping not too bad - sleeping is okay at nights, pain is more so in the mornings, and getting dressed takes awhile. I do have periods whereby regardless of how much I try I cannot stay awake and cannot keep my eyes open and may sleep at anytime. The problem with this is I sometimes think I have woken up, when in fact I am still asleep, so I am talking to people and wonder why I get no response back. I put this down to the Tramadol, because I have only recently been put on these, (3 weeks).

Regards,

• Posted

Goodness you have an awful lot to cope with 

you obviously are on quite a cocktail of medications all of which you most definitely need. Your medical team seem to be very good. 

The trammadol could be interacting with one of your other drugs. I'd ask your GP if your concerned. 

Be well 

Stephanie

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, I suffer from Neuropathic pain . Its called Idopathic Small Fiber Neuropathy. Idopathic meaning no known cause at this time. I am otherwise "healthy", No diabetes. This condition is predominantly pain. Painful sensations. like buzzing, tingling, pins and needles, and burning, burnibg everywhere, legs, hands, arms and mostly feet ,its horrible.

I tried Gabapentin , it caused palpations. What kind of Neuropathy does your friend have?, does the Gaba help her with her pain.

I take Progabalin (Lyrica) like your mum. How much does she take, is the Lyrica helping her? I take 350 mgs day for bouts 18 mos now,It doesnt seem to help,,How is your mum doing?

Thanks

Marie

• Posted

My friend has MS. The GABA helps her pain byt makes her spaced out and she gains weight, a big no no. 

I don't know how much progabalin mum takes. She just knows if she doesn't take it her pain comes back. She has spondylosis of the spine which she's had for going on 25 yrs now. She also has regular steroid and nerve blocks in her spine which have varying degrees of success.  Her pain never really goes it's just more bearable some days. I'll find out what she's on and get back to you. 

Be well

Stephanie x

• Posted

Mums on 150-300mg progabalin. She keeps it to the lower dose tho cos she's concerned about dependency 

Be well

Stephanie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.