A Pessimists View

Posted , 3 users are following.

I would like to share my recent experience of my colonoscopy, which was conducted by NHS staff on Tue 14 Jul 09.

Prior to having the procedure I was trying everything I could to find out about people’s experience of having a colonoscopy, which eventually lead me to this site. Being the eternal pessimist I naturally took on board all the negative aspects and dismissed any possibility that this would be a pain free and simple procedure.

Two days prior to my appointment (Sun 12 Jul 09) I started the diet as advised by the NHS trust performing my procedure. The diet of eggs, cheese, white bread and fluids, whilst seemingly dull and bland, in fact did much of the bowel preparation in advance. By the time I started taking the senna tablets and citramag powder on the Monday afternoon, my bowels had pretty much emptied themselves already. Having read other peoples somewhat frightening description of the pills, potions and powders used, I was of course apprehensive. The citramag powder was mixed with the appropriate amount of water and allowed to cool. When I drunk the liquid I was pleasantly surprised, although not my first choice for a drink, it was nowhere near as bad as other accounts made out. The easiest way to describe the citramag solution would be to imagine a cross between effervescent salts and Beecham’s powders.

When the mixture of the senna tablets and citramag solution took effect it was again not as bad as I had anticipated. As already mentioned the diet had already helped considerably. The main hint I can offer in relation to the after effects of the tablets and solution is to avoid using too much normal toilet roll and make use of the moist wipes available in most supermarkets. Whilst I admit that towards the end of the evacuation process there was a stinging sensation, I only once had to use any cream such as Sudocrem, I whole-heartedly attribute this to the use of the wipes.

At 8.30am on Tue 14 Jul 09, I attended the hospital where I was to have my procedure, at this time I was very apprehensive and truth be known more nervous about the thought of being sedated. Having read so many other accounts I had already consigned myself to the fact that this would be a painful and unpleasant experience.

I was met by one of the nurses who went through all the necessary paperwork and ensured that I had followed all instructions over the past 24 hours. By the end of this session, the nurse had answered all my questions and had done her utmost to reassure me that this was a routine procedure, in addition to giving an excellent explanation of what would happen prior, during and following the procedure.

Having changed into the gown and paper pants, I put on my dressing gown and slippers and took my seat in the waiting room. In the minutes prior to going into the endoscopy unit, I will admit that I was worried. I had the feeling that I still needed to use the toilet, I was apprehensive at the thought of having the sedative and my stomach was churning through nerves and lack of food.

When I went into the Endoscopy Unit, the consultant who performed the procedure explained what would happen and informed me that at any time I wished him to stop he would do so, which goes against some of the accounts I have read whereby individuals have been ignored or given larger doses of sedatives.

I lay down initially on my back so that the cannaula for the sedative could be placed in the back of my hand (this was probably the most discomfort I felt throughout the entire process). I was asked to lay on my left side, at which point the sedative was administered and a few seconds later the consultant inserted a finger to check for obstructions. Whilst not a natural experience, this was not painful in anyway. The endoscope was then inserted and the consultant gave me a running commentary throughout. Probably the most unpleasant feeling is the occasional use of air to inflate the colon. After a couple of minutes I was asked to move onto my back to assist in the movement of the endoscope. At one point the nurse explained that she was going to press on my stomach to allow the scope freedom of movement.

When the scope reached the bowel the consultant conducted his examination and then performed several biopsies. After a matter of minutes he started to move away from the bowel, taking several additional biopsies on the way out.

The whole process took approximately 30 minutes, throughout which I was able to watch the monitor and have the process explained to me. At no time did I feel any pain. As I have already said, whilst not the most comfortable experience, it was pain free and the team who looked after me and did the procedure were excellent.

My experience was 100% pain free and 99% comfortable. The 1% discomfort came from having an object pass through what is essentially a one-way valve.

In short, having now had a colonoscopy I would have another tomorrow if it were required.

In conclusion, whilst I appreciate that others might have had bad experiences whilst having a colonoscopy, all I would say to anyone who is due this procedure is go in with an open mind. The biggest fear is that of the unknown and it is only natural to be nervous, but please don’t be put off by stories of doom and gloom.

I apologise for having rambled on but I think it’s only fair that positive experiences get as much of the limelight as the negative. Should anyone want any further information or wishes to ask a question, please feel free to contact me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

sad 16th of September looms and I am terrified of the forthcoming colonoscopy I will experience. Thank you for shaing your experience which [although not totally ]has made me feel less apprehensive. Thankyou.
  • Posted

My colonoscopy is due 20th September and I admit to being afraid, very afraid. Especially after reading the 'risk sheet' enclosed with my appointment instructions. Thank you for your encouraging and detailed account of your experience. I hope mine goes as well as this. Good luck to scared so scared (prev post) for tomorrow. Let us know how you get on.
  • Posted

I have had traumatic experience on 17th December 2009. It was a Colonoscopy (examination of the large intestine) using a video endoscope. No sedative was given prior to the procedure, in fact other than Senokot and Citramag nothing was given before entering the treatment room. My blood pressure and pulse were taken and they were both fine. I was offered the choice of Entonox (gas and air) or a needle placed in the hand to administer a similar drug which although they have more control over does the same as Entonox but takes longer to wear off. It seemed more sensible therefore to go for the gas and air. No pain killers were given and no sedative.I had asked the nurse lots of questions about the procedure, how long does it last and what happens. I was under the impression that there would be mild discomfort especially when the camera goes around the bends but the doctor would say just a bit of discomfort etc but that was all. So far so good.

I was taken into the operating room and asked to lie on a trolley, which I did. I was given the gas and air to hold and breath into, which I did. No one told me how much to take. As the examination proceded the discomfort turned into extreme pain and I said “ouch” two times. I breathed in more and more gas and air to try and stop the pain but it did not go away. I gripped the gas and air handle tightly to help myself get through the pain. I could see the inside of my bowel on the video screen but to be honest the pain was so bad I did not want to look and so closed my eyes. I am not sure if it was the doctor or the nurse who said I should have the needle in the hand but I did not want to be a problem and said that I did not want to be a baby so would try to continue with the gas and air. The pain was still bad so I then agreed to the needle. For some reason I thought that I would be sedated and in my head I was counting to four, by the time I got to three their voices sounded like echos, I dropped the gas and air. The consultant decided that he did not want to continue. The consultant said “she is not cooperating and will have to have a barium enema”. I said I do not a barium enema” and I asked the nurse if we could continue and please do the needle in the hand, she said “I cannot see why not, is that okay doctor” but the consultant would not continue, he flatly refused. He said “she is not cooperating” and was talking about me as if I was not there. I said “I can hear you and I am cooperating, please use the needle and continue”, but he refused. I asked “how am I not cooperating” I was desperate to get this operating over with to put my mind at rest. I still had my eyes closed I thought that I was sedated but could hear them still. I said that I would not return to the hospital again and I wanted it completed today. I was extremely upset by this time and was now sobbing. I asked a couple of more times for them to continue but the doctor would not. I am not sure what was meant by me not cooperating, as I am sure I stayed still as I was still in the same position when they wheeled me out of the operating theatre.I did agree to the needle in the hand on the second request. I do not recall anyone asking me to let go of the gas and air, I know if they had asked this I would have complied. A minute or so calming me down and just talking to me would have worked rather than discussing me as if I was not in the room. My opinion is that the doctor was in a rush and just had no time for me. I was wheeled out of the operating theatre and back to a slot in the ward area.

The curtain was left open and other patients could clearly see me crying. There was an elderly lady opposite me who I heard say “I am frightened I don’t want the operation”. The nurse asked if I was ok and I said no, I am really unhappy, that I wanted to continue and get the procedure out of the way, she said that was not possible. She asked if I wanted to speak to the doctor

• Posted

Almost identical to my experience doctor was horrible. I told them beforehand that I hadn't emptied my bowel but they went ahead anyway. Iwas yelling in pain and doc just said very sharply 'give her some more sedation' your procedure wasn't by any chance carried out at Dundee by a mr Fokke? I drank 4 litres of water and 4 sachets of that horrible stuff and still didn't go. They only managed to get up the left side of my colon which was a waste of time since the pain was across the top and down the right side.
  • Posted

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience, it has made me feel a bit better about mine that is booked for Tuesday, its Saturday now,, i have a quick question and was hoping you could help me,,, i have been sent 2 senokot tablets,, along with that drink that you have to have twice the day before the procedure,, what i wanted to know is when do i take the senokot? i have looked through all the information and so has my husband but it does not say when to take it,, would appreciate it if you could help,,

Thank you

Coll

x

• Posted

Hi Coll,

Regarding the Senokot tablets, you need to take them the night before your examination. If it is tomorrow and you haven't already taken them you should take them tonight i.e. now.[/quote]

• Posted

hi there

i just want to thank u i have heard so many stories of doom and gloom about the prep the actual colonoscopy i was terrified im having mine done on weds 19th jan without sadation so thank u for your story as it has made me feel better x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.