Mirtazipine, tiredness etc

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

My fiance has been on Mirtazapine for 2 weeks and is sleeping 15+ hours a day (only awake to go to work). The other thing is that when he is awake he seems to have lost interest in 'us'; he says he loves me and is just completely exhausted and, obviously, I'm not about to hastle him over it but just wondered if anyone else has experienced any loss of loving feeling while on this or is it just tiredness? I'm not talking about sex - which is pretty much on hold anyway - it's the loss of loving, cuddles etc. It isn't the end of the world if it passes eventually but I would be devastated if I lost this lovely, loving man because of a drug.

Is it still within the bounds of normality to be this tired after 2 weeks as most sites seem to say that it subsides after the first week? I hate seeing him so exhausted all the time.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi,

I was prescribed this drug for depression/anxiety and yes i got a great sleep, BUT i was so out of it, i was having conversations with people and not remembering what i was talking about or doing from one day to the next ! it was awful. I have a 4yr old daughter so obviously i couldnt handle feeling like that. I stuck it out for 5 weeks then phoned my doc in tears, to take me off it.

I am now on venlafaxine, for bout a month now, and the difference is AMAZING !!! honestly get your hubby off that mitrazapine soon as poss. i felt better 2 days after stopping it.

good luck babe

best wishes

amanda x :shock:

• Posted

:? HI I HAVE BEEN ON MITAZAPINE FOR 4-5 YEARS DOES NOT SEEM TO WORK ANYMORE I AM CUTTING DOWN TO 15MG AT NIGHT I HAVE OFFERED VENAFLAXINE BUT TURNED IT DOWN AS I HAD READ SO MUCH BAD THINGS ABOUT IT, VERY HARD DRUG TO COME OFF WITH REARLY BAD SIDE EFFECTS , WHAT DOSE ARE YOU ARE IF YOU DONT MIND, AS I WAS THINKING OF GOING ON A VERY LOSE DOSE FOR A TRY, DID YOU GET ANY SICKING FEELING WHEN YOU STARTED IT, MANY THANKS SUE :shock:
  • Posted

Hi I'm also taking this to help me sleep, and it's definitely working. I'm finding that the longer I take it the more I need to sleep. When you have to work that's not ideal and your boyfriend isn't getting a work/life balance if he's falling asleep as soon as he gets home. I'm going to ask my GP to prescribe me a different tablet from the same family of drugs as this may suit me better. I suggest that your boyfriend tries the same.
  • Posted

hi,i need some advice,started on mirtazapine now for 6weeks, in this time i have had trouble with everything from,sleeping,spaced out,angry,crying all the time,ache all over,very tired all the time,i cant do any housework at all,im on 30mg,use to take 150mg of prothieden,but didnt work any more, has anyone got some advice for me, :cry:
    • Posted

I'm exactly the same, I find it hard just to walk. I feel so lethargic. I feel worse in myself as well. All I want to do is eat and sleep. I never found my anxiety a major issue but now I can't even go to the shops. I went into town the other day and had to leave because of my anxiety. I'm starting to feel like I want to give up on my battle

• Posted

I agree with you Edna about finding it hard to walk, feelng lethargic and wanting to eat and sleep.

I'm thinking about coming off it. I'm on 15mg at the moment. This is my 3rd week of being on it.

• Posted

Hi all, I went through the Mirtazapine hell for a couple of years, when I first went on it I had tried others and they did not have any effect on the severe anxiety I had at the time, at least this drug helped me sleep, however I am not sure it was worth it with all of the side effects especially the vivid nightmares, I woke every day on edge, I weaned myself off of them very slowly and at the end spent over a month on quarter of a 15mg tab, when at last I did come off of them I started to have the first good mornings I had had for years, unfortunately after about two weeks I started to get more and more anxious during the day, I went back to the doctors and asked him to put me on Dothiepin which I had been on when I first had the anxiety, it did not work then but I remembered having hardly any side effects and as the anxiety had reduced (and I think this was just time not the Mirt) I thought this was worth a try, these have been the best thing for me I am on a very small dose at the moment 25mg, I still have mild anxiety but I feel much better generally so these may be worth a try for you, one thing worth noting is if you look these up on this site you will see a vast difference in the amount of threads (there are much fewer than for Mirt, indicating to me that people don’t feel the need to search for answers as to why they feel crap)and most are positive, good luck to all of you and I hope you find the answer, I never used to believe there was a heaven but realize now that that before it all went wrong for me, I was living in it.
  • Posted

Hi this is aimed at Sue22 - re venlafaxine, this is a drug that I ave been on and off for the past 5 years or so and what I would say is that it is important to get the dosage right. Bizarrely (and this is often the case with antidepressants) the lower the dosage, the worse the side effects. It has really helped me in the past, but side effects on a low dose included (for me) itching, anxiety, bad dreams, brain zaps ... if you go on a higher dose these go. Re coming off the drug, I think it's no better or worse than others, doesn't appear to be harmful long term but I guess we all aim to be off the drugs, whatever they are! You just have to be sensible and cut down gradually - if you have capsules than you can decant them and take a little bit less every day - it takes about 6 weeks all in all and then the side effects (can be a bit like electric shocks - they are similar to what I mentioned low doses do, logical really) eventually disappear.

I'm just starting to feel anxiety and depression coming back again, doing a bit of research to see if venlafaxine still the best for me, or if I should try something else - find gps know not much more than me about them - the last time I went to mine she just looked on this site to find a medicine (blood pressure I think), I could have done that myself!

Hope you feeling better soon - unfortunately as a long term depressive these things tend to mimic remission - but you do get better over time at handling it.

xxx:roll:

• Posted

Hi. I am in contact with my GP today because i have been on Mirtazapine for 2 months and im sleeping for at least 13 hours a night. Im only 24 and going back into full time work but the extreme tiredness even after the 13 hours sleep is killing me. Ive been experiencing bad dreams (horrific dreams) but they seem to be subsiding. On the plus side my moods are better but thats probably because im too tired to do anything. Im hoping to change my tablets but I'm too worried to stop taking them because of my depression creeping back. Its so nice to know that im not the only one going through this with these tablets. Hope you feel better and il let you know how i get on with my GP. Oh i also dont think that the tiredness gets any better. Ive spoke to so many people some of which has been on Mirtazapine for 10 years and they said the tiredness remains they just get on with it. But im finding its ruining my days. x
  • Posted

If tiredness can rip out love I won't say it is love(deep love ) I had bn depressed for over 13 yrs and my love still remain the same , whether I would b happy or not I simply don't care I give as much I can and I enjoy that , despite of this I'm having clinical depression which I failed to get above , your fiancé is not to blame , in today's world if someone is healthy only then he is capable to spread the relationship , a simple unpleasant feeling is enough to spoil the readymade relation

Your fiancé is in trouble just help him out , don't expect , let the medication work and provide as much as positive environment as you can

Soon everything will be alright

• Posted

3 weeks I've been on it I'm so tired feeling drowsy all day I'm sleeping through night and through day when I'm not working all I can say is it made me so numb inside I couldn't care about anything or anyone I didn't see my partner for 9 days and totally lost interest in even speaking or texting him I've decided this drug is not for me it's made me feel worse and so detached from anything and anyone but struggling to get in to doctors also in 3 weeks I've gained nearly half a stone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.