Cononoscopy - Nothing at all to fear

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi all

This time last evening I was on this website, drinking my first of two stage laxative prep and getting increasingly worried and nervous about the colonoscopy procedure as I read many of these reviews. This was a major worry as I had checked out this same site for my previous procedure, a barium enema a couple of months ago, where almost all said no worries regarding it, and I actually found it quite uncomfortable with the air pumping in.

To say I was nervous toay was an understatement. During my breif pre-procedure meeting with the doctor, my main question was pain, sedation etc. Even the doctor suggested it would be most likely there would be a degree of uncomfortable feeling and pain.

To cut to the chase, I was brought in to the bed and asked to put on the usual gown, then within a minute or two I was being wheeled into the procedure room. There I was met by the same smiling and very reassuring doctor and an equally great team of medical staff. Sedation was instant and without fuss. A little sensation of air passing in but absolutely nothing in any way painful. I was asked if I'd like to guess how long it all took and I replied around 4 or 5 minutes. I was told it was 35 minutes and I was shocked.

Watched it all on the screen, very interesting and had a full running commentary from the doctor.

Please, please DO NOT fear this treatment. I am the worst patient with worry and nerves and trust me, it is no big deal at all. Have it done for complete peace of mind if nothing else.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Thank you. I'm on a waiting list for a colonoscopy and I'm scared out of my mind. You've just put my mind at ease!
  • Posted

Hi - felt compelled to reply to your message. I don't in any way want to scare people or put them off having this vitally important procedure done, but my colonoscopy was quite the opposite experience. What really makes me extremely angry is that the medical profession do not fully inform patients before having these procedures about what could (and sometimes does) happen. Based on the guidance leaflet that the hospital sent me, I decided against sedation, as I felt more than able to handle a \"bit of cramp\" or \"wind like bloating\", because I have a very high pain threshold. Well it was absolutely awful and despite crying out in agony the procedure continued. None of the staff spoke to me throughout the process, despite being wide awake and I was left feeling traumatised, so much so that I very much doubt I could put myself through this procedure again. I have registered an official complaint and am just waiting for a full report after their investigations. If someone would have mentioned beforehand that this procedure (for some people) can actually be intolerable without sedation - then I would have had it. I'm so distressed by what happened to me that I'm still trying to come to terms with it. So if you're waiting for your 1st colonoscopy, please, please get it done, but have some sedation/pain medication and ask as your GP/Consultant etc as many questions as you can. It may just prevent anyone from having an experience like mine. :evil:
  • Posted

What a shame you had such a bad experience. Especially as with the sedation available there is absolutely no need for this to happen.

My experience was very different. I was given an information leaflet which told me all I needed to know including the risks etc - these did frighten me a bit but we need to know these things. Before the procedure I had a consultation with a nurse who apart from taking all my details explained the complete procedure with the aid of diagrams and even a model - plastic not human! I was then taken through and in quick succession got changed had the canula put in my hand and wheeled to the procedure room. The anaesthetic was administered and although I felt drowsy didn't think I'd fallen asleep. I must have done though because it felt like the procedure only lasted about 5-10 minutes but actually took about 30. In my lucid moments I watched on the screen which was quite fascinating and apart from a couple of moments of discomfort (and I mean only seconds) the whole thing was pain free, just the sensation of something being 'inside' my tummy. The anaesthetic wore off immediately and I was taken to a room and given tea and biscuits so they could make sure I had no after effects. Before I left, the doctor who had performed the procedure came and gave me a run down of what he'd seen and I was given a written report of the procedure. I am waiting for my appt to get the biopsy results. I watched on the screen when they took these biopsy's and didn't feel a thing. So all in all my experience was much easier than I had anticipated and with the right care there should be no need for anyone to be in agony throughout this procedure. Although I expect a lot depends on which hospital you attend, I wouldn't be too concerned if I had to have this procedure again.

• Posted

[quote:8e3f28ad93=\"so relieved \"]What a shame you had such a bad experience. Especially as with the sedation available there is absolutely no need for this to happen.

[/quote:8e3f28ad93]

Read my post today titled \"Painful Colonoscopy\". I HAD [i:8e3f28ad93]sedation[/i:8e3f28ad93] and it was still [b:8e3f28ad93]the most painful experience of my life[/b:8e3f28ad93]. And I don't say that flippantly. It takes a lot to make me cry in pain but this did it. I was fully alert throughout the whole procedure. No sedation effect whatsover. Not even mild dizziness. I'm convinced the doctor botched the needle insertion and none of the drug got into my blood stream. But how do you prove something like that? It's done and over with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.