Tramadol

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am a recovering addict. I have a very high addictive personality. My knee went out on me and I was prescribed tramadol. The addictive reaction with my first dose was, this could be a good thing. However, my spirit told me other wise. But I am powerless to any mind alternate drug. So three years later I am crossing a dark path that I am very familiar with......and I don't like it. I have doctor shopped and have been taking advantage of two very nice men. I realized last week what my options were. I went from 16, 50mgs, taps to just 100 mgs (two pills) a day. Today has been the worse......very emotional, irritable, no since of concentration.....and horrible panic attacks.

I am a very spiritual man and lean a lot on my faith. I came clean with my wife, sponsor, and mentor. I have to do this. I have lost everything twice before, I can’t lose again. I have even enrolled back in school to study to become a substance abuse counselor. I just tell others through the first forum that came up. I’m trying every thing I can to keep my mind from idling. So who ever reads this, if anyone does, please pray for me, if you believe in prayer.

I have overcame meth than it was alcohol, I am now 41 and have been fighting addition since 11 years old. I have been in recovery for 7 years and it’s like…….when does it stop?  

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I'm rooting for you, jamison. I

'm sorry you have had such a rough life.

It sounds like you are on the right track, now. Tell me what you think of someone who has been on 3 x 50mg tramadol for three whole years. Rarely goes over 3 and rarely under 2. So, 2-4 x 50mg, alnost always 3x 50mg per day, taken at 9,12 and 3 o'clock every night

• Posted

As long as you are not taking the Tramadol more than what you’re prescribed you should be fine. You may experience some leg tremors, restless leg syndrome and very irritable, like you may not be able to stay seated for more than just a few minutes. So when you are able to stop taking the medicine just let your Doctor know so he will be aware of the facts that he knows as well. But I must tell you, I don’t know you personally so if this sounds crud in any way….please I’m not trying to be, I just shot from the hip when it comes to this. As long as you’re taking the correct dosage and nothing more, you will be fine. But, if your living a lie and just telling people that you are, like me….I was living a lie……it only gets worse and there will come a time that you will have to cross that bridge. I’m not saying that you are, you have to understand my background and the other addicts that I have worked with. So, please don’t think that I’m calling you out.
    • Posted

Thank you, jamison, I don't think you are shooting from the hip, but from the heart. (Although I'm not sure what that expression means :^) )

I guess you are saying I should not be such a worry-wart, but that it will be hard to come off, so you don't want to sugar coat it. My doctors don't seem very worried about how much I am taking over a long period of time, but then again, most doctors are drug pushers, or to put it more diplomatically, they have a firm belief in medicine, and that it really can solve problems of the flesh ... better living through chemistry, and all.

Anyway, it helps for me to be prepared for how it will be, because if my doctors were to be trusted, I would have nothing to worry about, and then it would be quite a wake-up call to experience the withdrawal.

Thanks again, and I wish you continued strength in your withdrawal journey and quest for an honest life.

Nebula

• Posted

To add to my comment 10 minutes ago: I have chronic back pain, both in my shoulder/spine and lower back. Had a prolapse show up on an MRI two years ago. Lyme Disease (Borreliosis) was found 2 months ago (finally a reason for my pain), but after intense antibiotic treatment still pain all night. Seems I'm addicted to 3 a day, not more... Is that ok?
  • Posted

Keep going, you'll do it you have a lot of support there, that's really helpful. 

Be well 

Steph 

• Posted

Hi please try to be strong, I've had personal experience  with 

close family with addiction so remember you have decided its not

worth it and to do something positive about it down to just two tabs

is really good just try to keep to keep positive 

I find this site really helps as ther are a lot of people in similar

situation who understand just how hard this is

keep stron take care 

Ann x

• Posted

Thanks for all the support! Yesterday while writing this discussion I was battling rather or not to go to detox (my discussion was all over the place). My choice, well it was painful, dry heaves, cramping up, cold sweets, and flue like symptoms times 5 with a mad mix of anxiety. I finally feel asleep at 5:30 AM, after texting my boss to tell him a sick day was going to have to be taken. Its 12:30 PM eastern standard time, I feel better but weak. I did however; find that sweats helped with the withdrawals. I have heard of eating sweats in past meetings. I do feel the freedom that is just within sight.  Glory to God!
  • Posted

Yea,I tried to quit Tramadol twice , but couldn't , I was actually down to 50 mgs a day at one point , then I totally fell off the proverbial wagon, take 800 mgs a day now, extended release,  I did do one thing good though , quit drinking , only drink a beer or 2 a week now.  That was much easier to come off I believe , I was drinking 2 fifths per week, rum or vodka, I feel good now but the tram monkey still on my back
  • Posted

Well I have been 68 hours without any Tramadol. This was been, by far, the hardest thing that I have ever had to deal with, mentally, physically, and spiritually. The mental part of this hell is still at work in me, but thanks be to Jesus…”….for when I am weak He (Jesus) is STRONG…”…I am healing. 

Thanks again for those who care and those that understand. I pray for those that do understand, because to truly understand an addict you have experienced addiction. And to those that don’t understand, be thankful that you don’t.  

• Posted

Hi, so glad you are doing so well, it can only get

better. Let's hope the worse is over now and you will

be so much stronger for this.

keep strong Ann 

• Posted

Hats off to you for coming so far! Well done!

I have heard some truly awful stories about people becoming addicted to Tramadol and some of them have lost their jobs, marriage, home.... I think it should come with a warning! The first time I took them I just thought they were normal painkillers til I came off them and the side-effects are horrible!

However, due to a severe bad back (plus I have Cerebal Palsy) I had to start taking them again last night and have been asleep the best part of today...

Anyway, I will pray for you and keep up the good work! You're doing really well :-)

Zoe

• Posted

I know this is rather late but, if you are taking tramadol for pain relief, go back to your GP.  He may come up with a non-opioid alternative.  Over the years I have been prescribed many drugs to combat pain and has been a very unpleasant ride to find the pain relief that suited me.

You sound very upbeat and it seems that you have a good team around you.  You don't necessarily have to become a counsellor (which means your mind is constantly being reminded about drugs). Do something that challenges you, something you've always wanted to do but didn't have the confidence. Stay close to those that have faith in you, but try to stop thinking about the drugs.  It will work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.