I 've been diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello everyone,  I don't know if anyone of you has a similar condition. Actually I was suffering from weakness of bones and loss of weight. After I performed the blood tests,  the result was low tsh (0.2), but normal Free t3 and t4!! Inaddition,  the ultrasound revealed that my thyroid gland is large. The doctor said this is subclinical Graves. However,  I am worried about this since I wasn't that convinced with this,  so I'd like to hear from you if you have similar condition or even any idea about what is called subclinical hyperthyroidism. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ditto. I have been diagnosed with same. Going for biopsy and ultrasound next week on thyroid growths. However, no-one at the hospital has mentioned Graves and I have put weight on rather than lost it. I am under wythenshawe hospital, Manchester.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying,  actully I did the ultrasound and I'm going through scintigraphy this week. I hope everything will go well with you. Between I am lebanese, and I would like to know the results of your biopsy and ultrasound, wish you the best!! 
  • Posted

Hi Angel 

I have the exact same disorder.  My hyperthyroidism is the exact same lab numbers as yours..I had a uptake scan done last week...It was just above normal. Do you have any other symptoms?  I have heart racing, taking a beta blockers... I am not liking it at all...It makes you tired and dizzy...My physician is considering putting me on antithyroid medication. How is your appetite??

• Posted

Hi, 

Thanks for replying. Concerning the other symptoms, I am suffering from fine hair which is falling out heavily, but I'm not sure if it's related to my thyroid condition. My appetite is very low, food means nothing to me. My heart beats are normal. Actually I am not sure if I would take any drug, I am going to see another doctor and then I'll decide. In fact, I am not understanding what would the drug change in my thyroid if the hormones are already within the normal range, and why should I remove my thyroid if it's functioning normally. It's larger than normal size, but this is not affecting its function. I am so happy that you are sharing your experience with me. I am a female (24 years old) and I am sorry for my bad english, since I am lebanese. 

• Posted

I hear Hair loss is very common unfortunately.  I haven't had that yet.I am still quite weak.  Better than one month ago. I had appetite either for six weeks.. Now I can eat better but not hungry.  I eat small meals all day.  I have been so sick I haven't worked for 2 months...I am also seeing a Naturopath Doctor... To help with nutrition and supplements. 

Your English is very good...

• Posted

Hi 

Wondering how you are doing now?  Have you seen the doctor again? 

I am still feeling the same.  Might start medication tomorrow,  antithyroid. 

Was just thinking of you.  Audrey 

• Posted

Hi, 

Well this is so kind of you! I have seen the doctor 2 days ago, my scintigraphy showed graves in its early stages, she said I don't have an emergency case since my thyroid is still functioning normally, but having a low tsh shuould be taken seriously and should be treated as it causes osteoperosis and heart diseases. So she suggested that either I start on methamezole (5 mg) or I'll wait a month and repeat the tsh test, if it shows a decrease, then I must start the treament. However, if the test shows the same tsh level (0.2), then we'll repeat the test every 3 months. Thats all. 

I hope you are fine, and I am wondering if you have started your treatment.     

Hoping to hear good news about you soon. 

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Angel,

Thanks for the reply. I have started treatment at 5 mg once a day . Started 10 days ago . I feel totally exhausted still . My symptoms change all the time . I make myself eat ... But my stomach is still nausea. Are you going to try the medication ?

How's your appetite now ?

Audrey 

• Posted

Really sorry for you, I am not going to start medication unless my tsh continues to decrease. In general my appetite is low, but I am trying to increase my food intake gradually, and it seems that this is working a little bit with me. I hope to gain wait soon, I am only 48 kg, but I feel comfortable now.  

I Hope that you'll get better as soon as possible. 

Angel

• Posted

Hello i wonder how are you now? What's end up happening?

I've diagnosed with the same thing.

About 6 months ago my TSH was 0.15 with normal T3 and T4

and then it went down to 0.10

Now it's.0.01 my Endo started me on 10 mg Methimazole but i had such a bad side effects to it.

So now all she wanna do is watch it...i have all kind of symptoms.

Im considering seeing another Dr.

I have 2 nodules and they found thyroid peroxidase antibodies = 20!

• Posted

Hi angel

I have the same condition. I don't take medicines and currently have no symptoms. I keep monitoring myself. That's the best way to go. Sometimes taking medication with subclinical hyper can cause more harm. But ones got to take care. Good exercise, good diet, healthy lifestyle can help manage this condition thtouout life. If one can avoid medication y not. Only thing, observe better to notice any symptoms that may arise then address it. This is how I luk at it now.

Proya

• Posted

My TSH was 0.17 whn I was diagnosed with a sub clinical hyperthyroidism.

multinodular goitre had bee found as an incidental finding on a CTPA scan to exclude a pulmonary embolism.

An USS done recently sowed twenty nodules on the thyroid but as they are nt thought to be cancerous a biopsy has not been done.

My TSH was 0.17 three weeks ago and is now 0.047.

An endo sirgeon says I have a fluctuating thyroiditis. Does anyone know the managment and reatment please.

Jean

• Posted

Hello everyone

I am very glad I found this thread.

I was diagnosed with subclinical hyperthyroidism / Graves' disease around June this year. I went to the doctors because my hair was falling out more than usual. I had a whole host of tests and the one that stood out was my TSH level (<0,01). my free t3 and t4 levels are within normal range so as far as i understand it, i don't really have a thyroid problem although i might develop hyperthyroidism. my thyroid is also very slightly enlarged and my antibody tests suggest graves. anyway, i am losing large amounts of hair, i am afraid to wash it these days because it falls out in clumps. on top of that i have been going grey since 23 (now 29). i am very upset about it, particularly as i am getting married in october and my hair is really thinning. my doc tells me there is no correlation between my graves and hair loss (and greying), in effect saying i am not losing more hair than normal. i know i am though. i would be interested to hear how you are all getting on and whether you have suffered from hair loss and if you have managed to control it? thank you all. my="" free="" t3="" and="" t4="" levels="" are="" within="" normal="" range="" so="" as="" far="" as="" i="" understand="" it,="" i="" don't="" really="" have="" a="" thyroid="" problem="" although="" i="" might="" develop="" hyperthyroidism.="" my="" thyroid="" is="" also="" very="" slightly="" enlarged="" and="" my="" antibody="" tests="" suggest="" graves.="" anyway,="" i="" am="" losing="" large="" amounts="" of="" hair,="" i="" am="" afraid="" to="" wash="" it="" these="" days="" because="" it="" falls="" out="" in="" clumps.="" on="" top="" of="" that="" i="" have="" been="" going="" grey="" since="" 23="" (now="" 29).="" i="" am="" very="" upset="" about="" it,="" particularly="" as="" i="" am="" getting="" married="" in="" october="" and="" my="" hair="" is="" really="" thinning.="" my="" doc="" tells="" me="" there="" is="" no="" correlation="" between="" my="" graves="" and="" hair="" loss="" (and="" greying),="" in="" effect="" saying="" i="" am="" not="" losing="" more="" hair="" than="" normal.="" i="" know="" i="" am="" though.="" i="" would="" be="" interested="" to="" hear="" how="" you="" are="" all="" getting="" on="" and="" whether="" you="" have="" suffered="" from="" hair="" loss="" and="" if="" you="" have="" managed="" to="" control="" it?="" thank="" you="" all.="">

• Posted

Something I should have included in my reply is that I had a repeat TSH test last week and the level was up to 0,16 (normal is >0,32). T3 and T4 still within range. However, I haven't noticed a change in the rate of hair loss. I wonder if my TSH will go back to normal...? My doctor does not want to put me on meds yet.
    • Posted

Dear Katie

I too have been diagnosed with subclinicl hypethyroidism.

Can I ask you what thyroid antibody tests were done and their levels.

I had a very slight hair loss but no noticeable thinning.

I am unsure as to why you are having loss of hair but have you sought any advice from a nutritionist about diet and vitamin supplements.

Are you prescribed anything for the subclinical hyperthyroidism?

Jean

• Posted

Hi Jean

I hadn't heard of fluctuating thyroiditis until you mentioned it. It is mentioned here in this article about thyroid antibodies.

https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/thyroid-antibodies/tab/test/

The doctor hasn't prescribed me anything because my thyroid hormone levels are normal so there isn't anything to treat, in effect. I would prefer to not take meds unless I have to, especially with my wedding approaching. I would consider it however if it meant I could stop my hair loss. I have had all my vitamin and mineral levels tests and they are all normal. Having written this, I think I might go  back to my endocrinologist for further advice.

Is your hair loss back to normal now?

As for the thyroid antibody tests, I have had:

1. TPO antibody - used to detect presence of an autoimmune disease such as hashimotos or graves. Interestingly this result was normal for me.

2. Thyroglobulin antibody - used to detect thyroid cancer. My result was normal.

3. TSH receptor antibodies - this was the only result that was not in range (3x normal levels). I don't know much about this antibody but it seems to be present in graves patients.

Perhaps you could ask for a Thyroglobulin antibody test just to be on the safe side, given that you have the nodules?

Katie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.