Mirtazapine - shortness of breath

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anyone had this side effect when taking Mirt?

I was put on a starting dose of 15mg two weeks ago and noticed that since then just walking a short distance and sometimes just up the stairs can leave me breathless. Even when i used to smoke I didn't get as breathless. Does this side effect go away as it is extremely debilitating and if not then I don't propose to carry on taking them.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Side effect. Just stop mirta. You are in time.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. Has this happened to you?   Does this side effect wane after a while?    I am hoping that the beneficial effects will show their heads soon. What do you mean when you say that  i am in time to stop taking Mirt?
  • Posted

I've been on Mirt for4yrs i also suffer with COPD I don't think it's had an effect on my breathing but that's not to say it could.i was on45mg and I am trying to come off them next step30mg and I am really struggling with mood swings ,but I'm determine to come off it.If you want my opinion I would go back to your dr and ask for something else,stay away from it while you can .
    • Posted

Did you find that Mirt was not beneficial to you in any way, Norma?
  • Posted

It didn't exactly have a breathing problem with me ,but I would try some other way rather than Mirt it is so difficult to come off.I would encourage you to try some other way before you get to into it.See your doctor there are plenty of antidepressants out there that do just as good a job good luck 
  • Posted

Hi JPM,

Have you noticed an increase in your weight?

I have noticed I had shortness of breath whilst taking Mirt, but put it down to the weight gain putting me in the "obese" catergory and that affecting my breathing...

Never looked at it as a possible side effect ?? I wonder??!

• Posted

barbara39684 hi has anyone suffered from shortness of breath and back pain

thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.