Plantar Fasciitis in both feet....should i have steroid injections?

Posted , 31 users are following.

I've had PF in one foot for best part of a year, now in both feet for the last 4 weeks. Im in excruciating pain as I'm sure most people who suffer from PF can relate to. Painkillers I have been prescribed up till now are useless but my GP is giving me stronger ones for when I go on holiday in 2 weeks so I can walk around hopefully. He has told me that when I return from hols, I will be having steroid injections. I'm interested to know what other sufferers think regarding this and also if it has helped the people who have had the injection.

2 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Injections never helped for very long.even the custom arch supports the podiatrist made that cost a small fortune did not help.

I wasn't until I started searching for arches online. Arches and good shoes r key..

Ice the foot and keep swelling down.test feet as much as possible wear cushion bottom  inside the shoe.

I went on vaca for two weeks with severe PF. I fashioned arches to fit in my shoes from many trial & error tries of many styles of online arch supports. Many to chose from. I tried many until I found one that supported my issues with my feet. 5 years later still doing well. No shots no surgery.

Remove the old insoles from the shoes replace with silicone liners not gel. Then insert arch support. Also shoes r important it really helps finding the right Shoes. Google best shoes and arches for PF online. Then start experimenting with what help UR feet. U will know right away when each step no longer feels like UR walking on a bed of nails. These arches/shoes actually heal the tendon in the heel.. 

• Posted

I have heard mostly bad feedback just from an accumulation of things I've read but I, myself have not had them for that reason. Also that it's quite painful to get them. My Podiatrist is having me take an oral steroid instead of the shot.  I start that in a day or 2 so will let you know. You are lucky to get painkillers...I have had nothing but Advil for the past 10 months!! Anyway,  they have worked for some people so hopefully 1 of them will reply but in my opinion the majority are not successful. 
    • Posted

The injection lasts for about 5 seconds & is not that bad & compared to the PF pain it is a breeze, I've had worse at the Dentist... I will try anything to relieve the pain - what have you got to lose?

• Posted

You may be right Cindy...but I started the oral steroid today so we will see if that does anything first I guess. Have to take it in a high dose for 5 days. I just can't stand the thought of that needle going in my already painful heel. The Dr didn't even mention it. I'm having to go thru the mercy of the County hospital resources so I'm probably not getting the best I could get...or the most caring Dr. anyway. I'll post again and of course keep reading. Thank you for replying. 
    • Posted

Hi there I was wondering how you got on after your oral steroids? I got PF nearly exactly 1 year ago. Varies from a 6/10 to a 10/10 I've tried the tennis ball, frozen bottle, stretches, acupuncture, night sock, boot, topical anti inflammatory... The only relief I've had was skiing at Christmas time. Maybe it was the ski boot too, but I was on oral steroids for 4 days for my asthma and it was like flicking a switch - zero PF pain. Zero. It was amazing. When I got back from holiday I did no activity at all out of fear it would return. But after 12-14 days it crept back. I wonder if I had kept on a low dose for a couple of weeks if it would have helped. Oral steroids long term are not great, but to treat this for a few weeks can't be that bad especulially compared to the lack of benefit and potential risk of foot injections. Anyway I hope your pain has improved. I can't find anything in oral steroids for this condition has anyone else?
    • Posted

I'm a body attack instructor and iv recovered after 8 weeks off work and on my first day back my other foot flared up 🙈 I need to get back to my classes like now !!! I'm thinking steroid injections pronto !!! Will they work immediately ?? Thanks in advance 😊

• Posted

When I finally found the right podiatrist, yes it did. Previous 2 podiatrists did not help me. She even made the injection as close to painless as possible. You have to shop around for the right Dr!!! She also injected some formulation of vitamins in to my excruciatingly pained feet. I also have custom made orthotics and wear absolutely nothing on my feet other than Oofos for sandals and Hoka Bondi 4. They have changed my life. Physical therapy, of course, and ice baths after my walks. Just don't leave feet in ice bath for long. Good luck!!

• Posted

hi catian i myself suffer from PF in both feet mines just started in april there yes ut is excruciating pain i  also have painkillers ibrofen i am going to see a bio mechanic on wednesday to see if i need injections something i am not really looking forward to if i do.. they work for some and not others from what i have been reading but are very painful from what i gather i am hoping i can get insoles made to suit my feet and they help before i get injections of any sort..
  • Posted

I do not know how you have managed - I've only had it one month in one foot & it has crippled me. My Dr has given me anti inflammatories. tramadol, tubes of ibrufen gel & a steroid injection. The day I had my injection it was like a miracle cure because he put local anaesthetic in with the steroid - what a relief, the pain almost went completely. However, when the local wore off the pain returned altho not as severe - I have bought expensive ortho shoes with excellent support & am doing all the exercises he gave me plus putting my foot in a deep bowl of iced water, which is bliss when the pain is bad.

I'm sure being in the pool will help - my deepest sympathy for your pain.

TAKE ANYTHING THEY WILL GIVE YOU....

• Posted

Hey Cindy....I never have heard of putting your foot in a bowl of ice....could be dangerous.  But I heard many times about rolling your foot on a frozen water bottle....so, when I first got PF I tried that on both feet. The second time I did it the pain immediately left in my right foot and never came back!!! So I have been dealing with this in my left foot for 10 months now but it cured my right foot asap so try that...rolling it under your foot for like 20 minutes but be careful about putting your whole foot in ice. Your foot could go numb but set up frost bite which would be awful. 
    • Posted

Don't worry it is in fact an outside water feature - when my PF is really inflamed & painful I tip some ice cubes in it, make a cuppa and sit on achair with my feet in the water. It feels good - I then do my exercises for a couple of mins & then plunge them back in & repeat. 

The ortho shoes by 'Alegria' are really helping, better than all those inserts. I got one pair of nearly new off ebay and another from an orthopaedic footware company.

• Posted

I have had plantars fasciitis release surgery in both feet so I have tried everything known to man for relief of the pain.  I have a plastic tub full of different arches and insoles for my shoes.  I have shoes, shoes and more shoes.  Oral meds, loads of injections in my feet, physical therapy and still ended up doing the surgery. The left foot was done 8 years ago and gives me zero problems!  It is such blessed relief.  The right foot was done 5 months ago and I am still in pain from it.  I also had tarsal tunnel release, bunion and hammertoe done at the same time.  As far as the shots for plantars fasciitis.  I say try it.  You have nothing to lose and everything to gain in pain relief.  They will not cure the condition but will greatly help alleviate it.  The most important thing is stretching that plantars fasciitis. Go to You Tube and look up some exercises and do them faithfully.  Good shoes and arch supports are your friend.  No more flip flops unless you wear a brand called Fit Flop, they are awesome and really helped me.  My podiatrist recommended them.  Good luck, it is a long hard road with PF that no one understands unless they have walked it!
    • Posted

I agree Jenny, Fitflops are amazing, they are the only shoes I can wear, I have so many pairs, even boots and slippers! Have thought about injections but never got that far, have suffered with both feet for over two years (one foot at a time) it's is horrendous! Good luck to all sufferers
  • Posted

Thank you all for the advice. I agree using ice works brilliantly. I have decided to get the steroid injections as I'm at the point where I will try anything to ease the pain.
    • Posted

PF is so depressing, the continual pain with every step - if you give your pain a score, 10 being the worst - I think mine has dropped to a 7 since the injection & shoes, but went upto 9 yesterday because I had a busy day & was on my feet for hours. 

Wishing you relief, Cindy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.